Advanced editing loses formatting

Robert Mitchell

I'm on a Mac using Safari as my browser.

If I post and then use the Advanced editing feature, all formatting is lost.

For instance....

I add Returns for line breaks and spaces and then to separate an image from the text.
If I see an error and need to go back in to edit using the Advanced editor, all of that formatting disappears and everything is concatenated and spaces are removed.

Scott Murray

I have a few Mac's and first thing I do is download chrome. This is the only thing I can think of that will solve your problem.

Robert Mitchell

Having me switch browsers is a bad solution and I'm certainly not going to do it for one site that has issues.
The problem is in the CSS coding. Safari always follows a very strict compliance and many people don't work within a strict coding. A lot of other browsers are forgiving in that respect but it doesn't mean that it's right.

EDIT: And for the record, Firefox does the same thing. It's in the coding for the advanced editing window. The issue needs to be fixed on the admin/developer end, not mine.

Last edited:

Robert Mitchell

Considering that every other site I visit works fine AND the fact that the problem exists in Firefox, I still think it's ridiculous for me switch to another browser. If I were having other issues, fine, but if it's just the Advanced editing window in Nikonites... no go. Makes no sense.

Scott Murray

Considering that every other site I visit works fine AND the fact that the problem exists in Firefox, I still think it's ridiculous for me switch to another browser. If I were having other issues, fine, but if it's just the Advanced editing window in Nikonites... no go. Makes no sense.

Ok did a quick search and found this.

Check Safari > Preferences > Advanced

Where you see: Style sheet

Click the pop up menu the select: None Selected

Quit then relaunch Safari to test.

Robert Mitchell

I appreciate your desire to help but I do know what I'm talking about. I don't use a style sheet in Safari. As I've also mentioned, the problem is there in Firefox in its default state as well.

This is a CSS compliance issue on the developer end. That is the problem and it's not something I can remedy through preferences.

Considering that Firefox is the #2 rated browser in that review and the problem is there too, again, CSS compliance issue.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I've had that happen to me too. I thought it was just a glitch. I guess I should try it sometimes with the advanced editor. I remember when I did my first Challenges postings, I had to go back and forth and I just couldn't understand what was happening.

So maybe John can do something about it?

Robert Mitchell

Thanks, Marcel.

Just for giggles, I downloaded Chrome... and guess what??

Same problem. So it's not a compliance issue with a Safari or Firefox. It's definitely in the CSS coding for that window.

Robert Mitchell

You'll only see it in the Advanced editor, not just by using the Edit button, and you have to have carriage returns inserted as well as spaces after your periods. If you do, then the issue will reveal itself.

Scott Murray

Ok I just had something weird happen. I went in to the advanced editor then decided not to do anything and went to another page. Then I decided to press the back button which took me back to the advanced editor, what happened was the sponsor magically appeared in the editing box... Very weird.

Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 4.56.58 AM.png

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Robert, by default some things are stripped out and/or converted to BB code.

What you mentioned are bugs in the software that I are resolved in the latest release. I have to get to updating it to the latest version :)

Scott, that screenshot you posted is the result of some javascript loading funny. If you reload the page it should go away.

WhiteLight

i am using Win7 + Chrome and/or Firefox.
Every time i go into advance edit & picture formatting, the entire text goes haywire.

For eg: if i choose 'centre' or 'none', the picture & text appears correctly.
But if i choose 'left', then am unable to edit the text.
if i do a preview, there would be like 20 blank lines & then the text.
At times, the text appears on the right side of the image & can't be moved.

does get a little frustrating at times :p

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
Sounds like some css isnt placed right. Ill have to take a look when im not on my phone.

sent from my phone