Selling digital files

Ruidoso Bill

Recently I've had the request (twice) for the digital file of an image. I have pretty much been charging a sitting fee and selling prints off Zenfolio. The higher my expectations are for print sales (large group) the less I charge for the sitting. I have declined to sell or provide the digital file since I make my $ off selling prints but curious how others handle this request and how many are providing files? My feelings are when they have the digital file it's hello wal-mart or whatever for prints.

stmv

smiles... well,,, guess it depends on the size of file,, sure,, here is the 320K jpeg,, at say 50 dollars,,

oh,, wait,, you want the 20 Meg, edited source file,, sure,, $1000 dollars,, oh,, and sign this paper saying any profits from it,, I get 50%.

Just-Clayton

Most of my clients I have shot are low income. I have been quite generous to help them out. I would charge a fee that they are comfortable and give them the right to print where they want to but, limit them to a few poses.As for my post card prints and others I sell I am looking at going to smug mug or zenfolia.

pedroj

Most of my clients I have shot are low income. I have been quite generous to help them out. I would charge a fee that they are comfortable and give them the right to print where they want to but, limit them to a few poses.As for my post card prints and others I sell I am looking at going to smug mug or zenfolia.

I had images stolen off Smugmug so had to put a watermark on them...

§am

There's more than one way to get a picture off your monitor than the old right click method, and sadly some people will use these tactics to steal from others :(

Last edited:

Rick M

I have not done that yet, but it is tempting for portraites. On the positive side, there is a much higher profit margin. If someone wants a pose of a child, you could make more money selling the digital file for say $85.00 (plus the sitting fee) than them spending $120 on prints. Many middle income folks are not going to spend alot on enlargements, so I think the higher profit margin may be better.

Last edited:

Ruidoso Bill

I have not done that yet, but it is tempting for portraites. On the positive side, there is a much higher profit margin. If someone wants a pose of a child, you could make more money selling the digital file for say $85.00 (plus the sitting fee) then them spending $120 on prints. Many middle income folks are not going to spend alot on enlargements, so I think the higher profit margin may be better.

In todays market the higher sitting fee will also drive away business. The call today was for a 50th wedding anniversary formal portrait. I know if I sell the file (not sure if they appreciate the work that goes into that file) I doubt I'll sell any prints. It was easy for a large event like the Nutcracker, I shot for free but have 85 plus family's buying prints. Even with a $250 sitting fee that is not much compensation for setup, capture time, travel time, take down, overhead in equipment, photoshop PP time.

Here is an article I just found about the subject click HERE

Rick M

Interesting link and the comments below it are good to read also!

One thing to keep in mind is that the public does not understand the work involved and many don't see the quality difference. From the customer perspective, pro's are just overcharging for prints and it's hard for them to compete with box store photo studios. WE know the differences, all they see is the price. Of course, as a non-pro, this is a different situation for me, my photography is just a hobby that makes a few bucks once in a while.

Ruidoso Bill

I live in a small town, still great opportunities but there is competition. I always tell folks they will get what they pay for. One of the options is they must buy a minimum print package to buy the files, makes some sense but then the file can be used anywhere and in ways that may not represent your best work.

We have a hack in town with a canon rebel that will shoot any wedding for $100. He will even let folks use his backdrops to take their own pics, I don't consider he nor his product professional but he still is my competition.

Oh well, just thought I would see what others that earn their living taking pics are doing.

I do sell (include) digital files used in commercial applications ie product and food.

Last edited: