Genuine D800 battery grip.

Scott Murray

Well I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy the genuine nikon D800 grip and I am happy with the quality and feel. I am yet to put it through its paces but so far its working a treat. I now need to buy a fourth battery so I can charge two and use two.

I also have purchased but yet to receive 2 x car chargers for the D800, my plan is to buy a solar charging device for while I am in Africa as I am sure during my 44 days camping I will not always have access to power points.

Will post photos and information when they arrive.

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Congratulations on your new grip Scott. Getting a solar charger might be a great idea since the D800 drains the battery much faster compared to the D7000 even if you just leave the camera in the On position based on my experience.

Corey @ Faymus Media

I would forget the EN-EL15 battery and buy a EN-EL18, and charger along with a EL18 Cover. The EN-EL15 only offers 900 shots, the EN-EL18 offers 1400-1500. So you can have one 15 in the camera, and one 18 in the grip for a total of 2500 shots.

If you have the money get 2 x EL18's and you will have one 18 and one 15 charging while you use the other 2. Much more effective.

Scott Murray

I have already bought the grip, I understand what you are saying. Maybe I will get this one as well at a later date but for now its the EN-EL15 Grip. I will be doing a test maybe these days off to see what kind of life I get.

Corey @ Faymus Media

I have already bought the grip, I understand what you are saying. Maybe I will get this one as well at a later date but for now its the EN-EL15 Grip. I will be doing a test maybe these days off to see what kind of life I get.

The grip you currently have If it is an authentic Nikon grip model # MB-D12 it will take a EN-EL18, pull the tray out, and slide the EL18 battery in, thats it.

Scott Murray

The grip you currently have If it is an authentic Nikon grip model # MB-D12 it will take a EN-EL18, pull the tray out, and slide the EL18 battery in, thats it.
Ah yes I have been doing some reading and research since I read your post it looks like I may need one of these aswell.

353_BL-5.png
[h=1]BL-5 Battery Chamber Cover[/h]
The BL-5 is a battery chamber cover for use when powering the D800/D800E D-SLR with the MB-D12 Battery Pack and using the EN-EL18 rechargeable lithium Ion battery.*

Corey @ Faymus Media

Ah yes I have been doing some reading and research since I read your post it looks like I may need one of these aswell.

View attachment 24261
BL-5 Battery Chamber Cover

The BL-5 is a battery chamber cover for use when powering the D800/D800E D-SLR with the MB-D12 Battery Pack and using the EN-EL18 rechargeable lithium Ion battery.*

Yes you need that cover, and the battery and you are all set.

Do you have the D800 or D800E? I have the D800E.

Scott Murray

I have the D800, just bought the cover now looking at battery and charger. I think I have a multi charger that will charge the En-EL18 just need to check when I get home.

Scott Murray

Yes you need that cover, and the battery and you are all set.

Do you have the D800 or D800E? I have the D800E.
There was one thing missing from this and I didn't even think about it.... The charger, and unfortunately you can only get a MH26 dual charger for $399 AUD. So I have now bought a 2nd EN-EL18 and the Charger from B&H in NYC as it was cheaper to get them shipped to Australia then to buy here. This should allow me 2600 shots x 2 in between charging. And the charger is a quick charger apparently. Expensive exercise but should be worth it I hope.

Nikon NIENEL18
EN-EL18 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery

$139.95
$139.95

Nikon NIMH26
MH-26 Dual Battery Charger

$299.00
$299.00

Sambr

I would forget the EN-EL15 battery and buy a EN-EL18, and charger along with a EL18 Cover. The EN-EL15 only offers 900 shots, the EN-EL18 offers 1400-1500. So you can have one 15 in the camera, and one 18 in the grip for a total of 2500 shots.

If you have the money get 2 x EL18's and you will have one 18 and one 15 charging while you use the other 2. Much more effective.
Except a charger for the "18" is two hundred dollars and then you are screwing with two chargers on for the 18 and one for the 15. If you go two 18s your looking at over $500.00

Scott Murray

Except a charger for the "18" is two hundred dollars and then you are screwing with two chargers on for the 18 and one for the 15. If you go two 18s your looking at over $500.00
Yep already found that out and mentioned it here...

There was one thing missing from this and I didn't even think about it.... The charger, and unfortunately you can only get a MH26 dual charger for $399 AUD. So I have now bought a 2nd EN-EL18 and the Charger from B&H in NYC as it was cheaper to get them shipped to Australia then to buy here. This should allow me 2600 shots x 2 in between charging. And the charger is a quick charger apparently. Expensive exercise but should be worth it I hope.

Nikon NIENEL18
EN-EL18 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
1$139.95$139.95
Nikon NIMH26
MH-26 Dual Battery Charger
1$299.00$299.00

Corey @ Faymus Media

This is true but if you plan to own a D4 then it makes sense. I just picked up a MB-D12 battery grip brand new USA warranty for $221! I got a steal. I am going to just use my EN-EL15 batteries for now. This summer I am going to get a D4 which will have the MH-26 2x EN-EL18 battery charger and 1 EN-EL18 battery. I will just grab 3 extra batteries and have 2 for each camera. Done. So the money I save on the charger since I am buying the camera anyway I will be able to buy 2 batteries.

Scott Murray

Well I have bought 2 x EN-EL18 batteries and the charger. I also have the battery grip etc. Not sure if I will ever buy a D4 but am happy with the extra performance that the grip and batteries give me. As I said the real test will be Africa and how many shots I can get out of one battery. Only 29 days to go.....

Corey @ Faymus Media

Well I have bought 2 x EN-EL18 batteries and the charger. I also have the battery grip etc. Not sure if I will ever buy a D4 but am happy with the extra performance that the grip and batteries give me. As I said the real test will be Africa and how many shots I can get out of one battery. Only 29 days to go.....

I love the options it has! I have 3 EM-EL15's when the one in the grip dies, I charge it and take the one that is fully charged. If I need more power I have XXX Eneloops so I have 16 of those. Pretty much enough backup for anyone LOL. Then when I grab the D4 I will have at least 1 or 2 spares of the EN-EL18 as well.