SB700 keeps needing to be "restarted"

mshest

I recently purchased an SB-700 and can still return it if this is a defect.

When I use it off-camera in Remote TTL mode w/ my D7000 set to commander mode everything works fine until I take a little break in shooting. I mean like 5 minutes or so. Then I will attempt to take another shot and the SB700 doesn't fire. I assumed it goes into some battery saver mode so I'll push some buttons on it etc but I cannot make it work. The LCD shows like its ready but I refuses to fire. The only way to solve the issue is to turn the flash off and then back on and remote mode again. Then everything works fine again.

This doesn't seem normal to me.

ANy help would be appreciated.

RockyNH_RIP

I recently purchased an SB-700 and can still return it if this is a defect.

When I use it off-camera in Remote TTL mode w/ my D7000 set to commander mode everything works fine until I take a little break in shooting. I mean like 5 minutes or so. Then I will attempt to take another shot and the SB700 doesn't fire. I assumed it goes into some battery saver mode so I'll push some buttons on it etc but I cannot make it work. The LCD shows like its ready but I refuses to fire. The only way to solve the issue is to turn the flash off and then back on and remote mode again. Then everything works fine again.

This doesn't seem normal to me.

ANy help would be appreciated.

Here is the scoop, right from the manual... hope that this helps (note you can adjust the time before "sleep"

If the SB-700 and camera are not used for
a speci
fied time, the standby function is
automatically activated to conserve battery
power.
• The standby function is activated when
the camera’s exposure meter is turned
off (default setting).
• The standby activation lead time can be adjusted with the custom
setting (
0B-21).
To cancel standby
• Press the camera’s shutter-release button halfway.
• Turn the power switch/wireless mode switch for multiple flash units
to [ON], [REMOTE] or [MASTER].
• Press the test firing button.

It looks like you can turn it off and on like you have and also supposed to be able to shutter release halfway or test fire button.

Pat in NH

AxeMan - Rick S.

Turn on your SB700

Left side bottom press the MENU button

Around the OK button there is a wheel you can turn, as you turn it the menu choices will change.

Turn the wheel till the STBY is highlighted, now press the OK button. If you look at the right side you will have three choices

AUTO
> ---

Turn the wheel that is around the OK button till the ">---" is highlighted and press the OK button again

Now press the Menu button again

Your SB700 will now stay on and will not shut off.

So easy a Caveman could do it :p

WayneF

It is not standby if Remote mode. It is time to replace the batteries.

SB-700 manual, page D-23 (all the Nikon speedlights say this) says Standby is disabled, not functional, when in Remote mode. This is because there is no hot shoe to wake it up.

But when the batteries become dead, it locks up dead, and then the LCD says Standby. Replace the batteries.

mshest

Hmm... the above suggestion of turning off the standby did work to solve my issue. I continued to use the flash on the same batteries for 2 more days (although I don't shoot a crazy amount) before the big low battery icon came on the LCD of the flash.

WayneF

The first thing to try troubleshooting a speedlight is always the batteries. Simply try different and fresh batteries.

There is no standby function in Remote mode, so that is an abnormal condition. Normally due to bad batteries.

JudeIscariot

I think it's a communications issue. I have this problem with my D3000 quite often (but never with my D300). I have to turn the flash off and back on for it to work. Sometimes I have to turn the camera off as well, then turn the camera on, then the flash back on after it.