Ketsia : Lifestyle Portrait

Robert Mitchell

Ketsia just morphs in and out of different characters and moods so easily. This is a shot from a lifestyle shoot we did on location at a beautiful park nearby.

Camera & Lens:
Nikon D700 & Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

Settings:
165mm, ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/160s

Lighting:
45" Silver umbrella [positioned to camera left]

p1369586952-5.jpg

Robert Mitchell

Thanks, Rick.

That's a fantastic question.My assistant always carries a bag of glass as backups and because he knows I love to mess with people by using some of the very good consumer glass to shoot portraits just to demonstrate that while glass is important, it doesn't have to be top glass or cost thousands of dollars to produce beautiful images.

Sometimes, by the end of a long day, I like to lighten the load and get the 70-200mm off the camera. As long as I'm shooting tight without strong backlighting, the 70-300mm is a top notch performer and gives the 70-200mm a run for the money in terms of IQ between 70 and about 180mm.

Robert Mitchell

The new 70-200mm f/4 looks like it's going to be a stellar lens.
I know that when I was shooting Canon I picked up the 70-200mm f/4 and it was insanely sharp and considered one of Canon's sharpest lenses. I believe that's going to be the case with Nikon's version and I bet it will be pin sharp at f/4.

Robert Mitchell

Thanks, Sam.

Ketsia was just resting for a moment and I prefocused and called her name. She turned her head and gave me those eyes and that was it. Click.