New Nikon 70-200 f4 sharper than the 2.8!

Geoffc

I was worried until I realised it is the 70-200 VR 1 that they compare against. I never liked that one when I tried it but my VR II is fantastic :)

gqtuazon

Gear Head
I was worried until I realised it is the 70-200 VR 1 that they compare against. I never liked that one when I tried it but my VR II is fantastic :)

The Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRI version on a D3x is not going to work well since the lens was not optimized for FX. The f2.8 VRII is optimized to address the light fall off and improved corner sharpness.

Rick - I would suggest the f4 VRIII. That's what I would have done if I didn't have the f2.8 VRII lens yet. It is much lighter which means that I won't hesitate grabbing that lens instead for my walk-around.

Geoffc

The Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 VRI version on a D3x is not going to work well since the lens was not optimized for FX. The f2.8 VRII is optimized to address the light fall off and improved corner sharpness.

Rick - I would suggest the f4 VRIII. That's what I would have done if I didn't have the f2.8 VRII lens yet. It is much lighter which means that I won't hesitate grabbing that lens instead for my walk-around.

I think the 2.8 VR1 was always an FX lens, it just wasn't very good edge to edge, hence the better results on DX.

Sambr

I don't go by these test, to me they are just a guide. I have a 70-200VR I 2.8 and it's a cracker on all 3 of my FX bodies. F4 glass is great, I have the 24-120F4VR,and the 16-35F4 VR which are two of my favorite lens the 16-35 is the sharpest lens I have ever used.

Geoffc

I don't go by these test, to me they are just a guide. I have a 70-200VR I 2.8 and it's a cracker on all 3 of my FX bodies. F4 glass is great, I have the 24-120F4VR,and the 16-35F4 VR which are two of my favorite lens the 16-35 is the sharpest lens I have ever used.

Sam,

I'm pleased with your comment on the 16-35 as I have one on order.

Raj1210

Hi all!
Just sold my 80-200 f2.8 and bought 70-200 f4 VRIII !
No regrets on focus and sharpness !
For me VR mattered for the type of photography I do !

This lens is a blessing for its weight and fast AF! Edge to edge sharpness even on Tele end !

I have kenko TC pro DGX 300 1.4x which is used with 80-200 successfully! This is also ok on my new 70-200 f4 copy but I noticed that it makes a humming sound with VR ON !

Can't decide if this is due to third party TC or just that Kenko TC amplifying the VR humming ! I can feel some little vibration in hand holding the lens! Any comments friends? :)