nikkor 50 f/1.8g

fhibbs12

What's the deal with this lens being continually out of stock?

Did Nikon realize it was priced to low and leaving them off the market to sell 1.4s.

Anyone know any information on release? I really needed one of them but considering the 1.4 or the 85 1.8.

Thanks

Robert Mitchell

It's not in stock because it's an insanely popular lens. Ridiculously sharp, inexpensive, and an updated version of an already popular and very nice little lens. Many choose the f/1.8 over the f/1.4 because it's actually a sharper lens.

Robert Mitchell

If you like the 50mm and 85mm field of view then as Rick says, the f/1.8 G lenses are exceptional, and as a matter of fact, the 85mm f/1.8G is an incredible lens and has gotten great reviews, not to mention the exceptional performance on the higher megapixel D800/E. Not to shabby wide open either. :)

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you absolutely need a 50 1.8, I suggest you get a 50 1.8 D for the time being. When the G arrives, you sell the D back. If you get the D on Craig's or eBay, you won't loose much at all.

RockyNH_RIP

What's the deal with this lens being continually out of stock?

Did Nikon realize it was priced to low and leaving them off the market to sell 1.4s.

Anyone know any information on release? I really needed one of them but considering the 1.4 or the 85 1.8.

Thanks

I do not know where you are checking but they are in stock at both Amazon and Adorama...

Pat in NH

§am

I have this lens and it is an absolute gem :)
Not sure where in the world you hail from, but here in the UK, it is available quite readily :)

§am

When I bought my D5100 last year, I noticed the 50mm was out of stock in the US, but over in the UK it was still in stock.
Seems to be the same issue again - maybe you US folk are gobbling these lenses up faster then us Brits :p

throttlemeister

I love this little lens. Was in stock normally and shops get regular shipments from Nikon as well. (Holland)

Perhaps usa dealers are keeping stocks low intentionally to sell the 1.4g instead?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Robert Mitchell

Perhaps usa dealers are keeping stocks low intentionally to sell the 1.4g instead?

No, not at all. US retailers don't play those games. They get what they get from Nikon and sell it. The 50mm and 85mm G lenses are very popular and huge numbers of people see them as viable alternatives to the f/1.4 lenses.

§am

When most reviews place the f/1.8 at sharper than the f/1.4, and the price difference, it's no wonder they sell like hot cakes :)

So glad I got mine - was just doing some library work on my pictures, and I've taken almost as many shots with my 50mm as I have with my 18-55mm (everyday) lens :)

hrphotography

since i have a 59 $ coupon code from Adorama (from my last purchase) i am still waiting for them to stock it, so i can get a good deal. Hopefully Adorama will not be far behind :)