Lenses on the D3200

Thrash

Hi all,

Ive had my D3200 for a while now but it is faulty and im going to be sending it back either for a replacement or exchange it for the D5100.
I was just wondering about something with regards to lenses, ive heard that to get the most out of the camera you need top end glass. I have the 35mm f1.8 and it takes brilliant photos with it but everyone knows the 35mm is great optically. I was wondering if this is true?
When using the kit lens the pictures arent great, id heard great things about the kit lens from various sites but was really disappointed. I also dont have the money at the moment to buy a load of high end lenses and I quite like the versatility of the kit lens and its focal length.
Do people think this is true? Do you think its different on the D5100? Theres no point me having a camera which you need expensive lenses for to make the most out of it when I dont have these lenses and wont do for a few years (til im no longer a student).

Cheers!

Cowboybillybob1

The price of the D3200 with the kit lens is Just under $600 USD. The 5100 with the same lens is just about the same at $630 USD. The two cameras are very comparable. The D3200 has a 24.2 MP DX-format CMOS sensor and EXPEED 3 image-processing for fast operation and creative in-camera effects.
The D5100 has 16.2MP DX-format CMOS sensor and EXPEED 2 image processing engine.

The 5100 has some other features like bracketing and a flip out viewing screen.

The 24.2 MP and ExpeedIII are improvements. I really think their image quality is about the same.
You can increase the sharpness and contrast via the picture control options if that is your issue. Expensive hobby for sure. Better lenses better pics.

Read more: D5100 - Nikon Product Database

Read more: D3200 - Nikon Product Database

Rick M

Usually primes will produce better pictures, but that kit lens is pretty good. In what way are you not satisfied with it?

xjcruiser

ONe thing I noticed when I got my 3200 (I had a used D40 for a few months before) was that the higher resolution captures everything in greater detail, thus making my novice technique that much more apparent.

Puzz1e

Banned
Lenses are a a good 'investment'. They hold their values well and can last you a lifetime!

The kit lenses are good to start with. After that, see what sort of focal lengths you are using the most and the type of photography you are doing. Make a long term 'collection plan's for future lenses.

Last edited:

§am

Primes definitely produce a nicer picture, but a better picture is also so very subjective.

However, there are some zooms with a 'fixed' aperture which are very nice too (e.g. the AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8)