Camera Recommendations?

JudicialFury

Hey guys! I'm quite new to cameras, but I've been interested in photograpy since I was a small child. I'm wanting to purchase my first DSLR camera, and I'm torn between the Nikon D3000 and the Canon Rebel T1i. I know they're not new, but I'm planning on purchasing an older used camera due to my $300-or-lower budget. Which is better and why? Would you recommend any other cameras that fit my criteria? Really appreciate the help!

-Grey

Dave_W

The Dude
Before we can even begin to recommend a camera, we would need to know what you intend to do with it and what you want to get out of having a camera. Purpose and intent can narrow down your choices pretty quickly. That said, here at the Nikonites site you can rest assured our recommendation will be some kind of Nikon camera since few of us know the Canon lineup very well.

Oh, and welcome to the Nikonites board. :)

Eye-level

Banned
Actually the Nikon D5000 is the equivalent of the T1i and is available at KEH for the price you have said. I have a D5000 and I have used a T1i on several occasions. Both are very similar cameras neither one better than the other probably. Probably the one advantage the D5000 has is that one can use any F mount lens ever made for it. The T1i cannot use say a 1971 model FD Canon lens. So what does that really mean? You can get a heckuva lot more lenses for the Nikon then the Canon and some of the old Nikon lenses can be had for peanuts.

stmv

well,, Nikon haha,, both are fine cameras, but the folks here have already done their deciding,, and we decided NIKON,, so,, too prejudiced to say otherwise.

Nikon allows more historical old gear to be re-used,, which is awesome.

pedroj

Hey guys! I'm quite new to cameras, but I've been interested in photograpy since I was a small child. I'm wanting to purchase my first DSLR camera, and I'm torn between the Nikon D3000 and the Canon Rebel T1i. I know they're not new, but I'm planning on purchasing an older used camera due to my $300-or-lower budget. Which is better and why? Would you recommend any other cameras that fit my criteria? Really appreciate the help!

-Grey

Get either

JudicialFury

Before we can even begin to recommend a camera, we would need to know what you intend to do with it and what you want to get out of having a camera. Purpose and intent can narrow down your choices pretty quickly. That said, here at the Nikonites site you can rest assured our recommendation will be some kind of Nikon camera since few of us know the Canon lineup very well.

Oh, and welcome to the Nikonites board. :)

To get an idea of my "vibe," here are some of my pictures, all of which I've taken with my iPhone. The only reason I'm wanting a DSLR is for improved quality. The iPhone gets pretty tedious after a while. :)

Also, thank you for the welcome. :D

A1.jpgA2.jpgA3.jpgA5.jpgA6.jpgA7.jpgA8.jpgA5.jpg

Attachments

• A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 132

Dave_W

The Dude
Nice photos, JF. Judging from your photos, I would recommend you get something that you can grow with. It will mean you'll have to save more or increase your budget but buying a more advanced camera like a D7000 or maybe a D90 would give you both the power to produce amazing photos AND enough functionality to allow you to branch off in different directions. You can pick up used D7000 or D90 fairly cheaply and having one of these would give you access to a very wide variety of lenses that a D80 or D3X00 or D5X00 would not, due to the fact that the D7000 and D90 have their own auto-focus servos and do not rely on the lens coming with the AF motors like the D3000's and D5000's due.

JudicialFury

Nice photos, JF. Judging from your photos, I would recommend you get something that you can grow with. It will mean you'll have to save more or increase your budget but buying a more advanced camera like a D7000 or maybe a D90 would give you both the power to produce amazing photos AND enough functionality to allow you to branch off in different directions. You can pick up used D7000 or D90 fairly cheaply and having one of these would give you access to a very wide variety of lenses that a D80 or D3X00 or D5X00 would not, due to the fact that the D7000 and D90 have their own auto-focus servos and do not rely on the lens coming with the AF motors like the D3000's and D5000's due.

Really appreciate your feedback and help, but unfortunately, I'd have to stick with something under $300, as I don't have a job or any other way of receiving money (I just turned 16), and that's all I have at the moment. I'll definitely keep those in mind for the future, though, and maybe save for a D90 or D7000 once I get a job. :) Anything else you'd recommend?

piperbarb

I think you will have a lot of fun using the D3000. Also, as others have mentioned, the fact that you can use a lot of the older Nikon lenses with the D3000 as compared to the Canon, you can pick up some very nice lenses for not too much money.