An old dog can learn new tricks

In looking up something in the D3100 manual today I ran across something I had not remembered. It was called Flexible Program. I use program a lot for when I am just walking around shooting just for fun. It generally always gets a decent exposure and is fast. Flexible Program just carries it to the next level in it allows you to change the Aperture or Shutter Speed and the other will change to suit the light. I think this would be a nice bridge learning step for many who really don't want to go to full manual mode but still want more control. I would assume the other cameras in the line up might work the same way. If everyone already knew this then just throw rocks at me.

1 Rotate the mode dial to P.
2 Frame a photograph, focus, and shoot.

Flexible Program
In mode P, different combinations of shutter speed and aperture can be selected by rotating the command dial (“flexible program”). Rotate the dial to the right for large apertures (low f-numbers) that blur background details or fast shutter speeds that “freeze” motion. Rotate the dial to the left for small apertures (high f-numbers) that increase depth of field or slow shutter speeds that blur motion. All combinations produce the same exposure. While flexible program is in effect, a U (R) indicator appears in the viewfinder and information display. To restore default shutter speed and aperture settings, rotate the command dial until the indicator is no longer displayed, choose another mode, or turn the camera off.