To wait or not?

Woody0722

I've been looking at the D7000 for the past month or so, debating on the idea of upgrading to this model.
If I've done my research properly, this camera came out in 2010. With the D5200 just coming onto the market, and the price dropping on the D7000, I have the guess that there will be a D7100 on the market soon..? Has anyone heard any rumors to this idea?

Dave_W

The Dude
Well, neither camera has been officially announced so it may be a long wait. Also, when cameras first come out there's often a slew of issues with them that take a few months to sort out. So diving into a brand new camera line does run the risk of having to send it in to Nikon for a quick fix. On the other side, the newer the camera is the more likely it will have the newest digital processor. The D7000 is an excellent camera and you really can't go wrong with it, regardless of what new camera comes to market. But I guess it all boils down to how long you want to wait before getting a new camera. It may be as long as a year away or as short at 3 months. It's a crap shoot all the way around.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Of course there are rumors. There are always rumors. You have to ask yourself one question: Do I want a camera now or later? There will always be newer models later, but can you take picture with a camera you don't have? I don't think so. So if you want a camera, get it now. You will save a little since there might be a replacement model coming out later this year (7200), but you'll get a great camera that will allow you to take great pics. I've been told by a Nikon rep to get a body but invest in lenses. So don't wait thinking that the newer model will stay new for a long time. It will be replaced but if you buy the best lenses you can afford and save on the body, you'll be the winner on the long run.

Just my 2 canadian pennies.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I didn't think you guys still have the penny, do you?

Yes we do for now. There is a plan to take them out. I heard it will cost 2.3 pennies per penny to take every penny out of our economic system… Where's the beef? ;)

ideacipher

They had a killer deal for 1400 or so that came with a 18-200 VRII close to Christmas. I was playing the waiting game for a while but if you need a camera now you can't wait. I sold my D60 and 18-55 and picked up a Tokina 12-24 after sale to go along with the new body. It gives a lot of growing room and is a very nice camera. You can wait for the 7100 or what ever it's called or wait for the 400 or what ever that is called :). If you need a camera get it and if you are happy now but want something better hold out and see. I have rumors and Nikon on my rss feed and there is a ton of work on the mirror less side but little on the SLR end (not that they are not working on SLR stuff just what is being announced). Just my 2.3 cents :)

wysiwyg

Now for my 2.3 cents worth (with the urgent exchange rate - 3.67 pence) ... The camera is really just a "box" - def get a good camera - but seriously invest in the best glass you can afford ! IMHO - camera processors have pretty much got as good as any consumable camera ever needs to be ! Sure new processors will allow you to shoot a zillion frames per second - and at an iso not yet known to mankind - but do you need it? How many focus pints do you really need ? Although I own and use for work - an arsenal of new top of the range cameras - I still shoot mainly fun stuff with my trusty old d70 and wee 50 mm f 1.8 D lens !
And no matter what you buy today - by the time you have it unpacked at home - and before your battery is finished charging - there will already be a newer better faster sleeker bigger model ready to supersede your :)

the D5200 is released in the UK The D7200 is predicted by tom hogan as end feb/march ...The D5200 will not have the advanced features of the 7000/7200 which once you have them you will not want to loose...using less than a 7000 is a frustraiting experience in many situation .....your money ,your choice...

Rick M

It really depends on what you are expecting out of the camera. A D7000 now gets you an advanced camera with an awesome sensor. The replacement for this model will likely have the 24mp sensor and a few new techy features found on the D5200. For me it would come down to the sensor. The new sensor will have greater pixel density which creates sensor diffraction at higher apertures. If you are into landscapes, shoot above f11 on a regular basis and like a more traditional camera I'd get the D7000 now. If you tend to shoot at f8 and below, like the lastest tech stuff,wait for the D7000 replacement.

Last edited:

Allen

The D7000 is an awesome camera; very sophisticated and will take the typical amateur a while to master. It has been out for a while so the latent production defects should be gone, so its likely you will get an excellent example. That being said, I guess it really boils down to how much of a hurry are you in? As others have noted any new model will need months to shake out issues (which equals frustration)....not to mention the D7k is a relative bargain now....

My 1.5 cents: go for it! : )

ideacipher

Now for my 2.3 cents worth (with the urgent exchange rate - 3.67 pence) ... The camera is really just a "box" - def get a good camera - but seriously invest in the best glass you can afford ! IMHO - camera processors have pretty much got as good as any consumable camera ever needs to be ! Sure new processors will allow you to shoot a zillion frames per second - and at an iso not yet known to mankind - but do you need it? How many focus pints do you really need ? Although I own and use for work - an arsenal of new top of the range cameras - I still shoot mainly fun stuff with my trusty old d70 and wee 50 mm f 1.8 D lens !
And no matter what you buy today - by the time you have it unpacked at home - and before your battery is finished charging - there will already be a newer better faster sleeker bigger model ready to supersede your :)

Very good point what is your current gear OP? Glass is very important and will still be around long after you upgrade bodies over time. I sold my 18-55 kit with the body but wish I didn't now. But a D60 without a lens is like trying to sell an old laptop without a battery so it had to be done to fund the next buy.

co2jae

I've been looking at the D7000 for the past month or so, debating on the idea of upgrading to this model.
If I've done my research properly, this camera came out in 2010. With the D5200 just coming onto the market, and the price dropping on the D7000, I have the guess that there will be a D7100 on the market soon..? Has anyone heard any rumors to this idea?

Not sure what you're upgrading from but 2 good points (in my opinion) are that (1) the D7000 has advanced features over the 5000 series so a hobbyist/amatuer like me will have several years of shooting before I will outgrow this camera and (2) it has been out a few years so all the bugs have pretty much been figured out and any issues should be able to get resolved quickly. If you are like me and learning/growing into photography, I highly recommend the D7000 as I am having more fun than I dreamed taking pictures of anything I can.......

the 7200 will probably be much the same as the d7000 except 24mp BUT remember you need to multiply the MP by 4 to double the resolution ie a 24mp is twice the resoluton of a 6mp ....the difference between 16 and 24 is not as great as you would first think .....and lot s of D7000 for sale second hand in a couple of months ...I will have 2 to sell !! (Ton Hogan has already sold his )

24 MP is 6000 x 4000
6mp 3000 x2000
so the horizontal and/or vertical resolution has doubled..square law.

another interesting fact is tha taking a scene from a fixed point with a 50mm lens and then a 25 mm lens the photo with the 25mm is only 1/4 the resoultion of the 50mm ie an object (say a face) is spread over 1/4 as may pixels...interesting this photography aint it ......

stmv

Progresses moves on, but, honestly, I seems to get just about the same results with my D700 as the D800. The gain has become so incremental,

I like the D7000 quite a bit for form factor, and I have been told that the pixels of the D7000 and D800 are about the same. and that the performance of the two sensors are pretty indentical as far as noise/dynamic range. When the 3200 first came out with the 24 MegPix sensor, people comparing gave favorable reviews of the D7000 over the newer 3200..

but,,, now most likely the 7200 will have the same sensor as the 3200, but bet it will outperform the old 7000,,, is it just photojournalist bias... or
real,,

I just got the 5100 with the 18-200 vR lens for 649,, which I just consider a unbelievable great deal (another entry that has the link), imagine a 1550 combo for 649,,,

gosh,, maybe they will have package deals like that for the D7000.