Bighorn With an Attitude

Sambr

D800 & 300mmF4

Ram_2013Tonque-X2.jpg

gqtuazon

Gear Head
It looks like a very close shot. Maybe it's just me but I went out yesterday with my kids to Tokyo Disneyland and the temperature was between mid 30s to mid 40s around noon and I was complaining about the weather already. But after looking at your shot in the snow, I guess I should be thankful for the slightly better weather.

I haven't broke out my 300mm lens but I'm hesitant if I don't bring a tripod. What is the minimum shutter speed do you use when hand holding your lens?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
It looks like a very close shot. Maybe it's just me but I went out yesterday with my kids to Tokyo Disneyland and the temperature was between mid 30s to mid 40s around noon and I was complaining about the weather already. But after looking at your shot in the snow, I guess I should be thankful for the slightly better weather.

I haven't broke out my 300mm lens but I'm hesitant if I don't bring a tripod. What is the minimum shutter speed do you use when hand holding your lens?

Glenn, tell your kids that it was -27Celcius here in Sherbrooke this morning. With the 300, I take the monopod. You should try to keep shutter speed faster than 1/250s is things are not moving too fast.

Have fun in Disney!

Sambr

Hello Glenn, Happy New Year :) You will love the 300mm. My minimum for handhold (90% of my shots) is 500 in FX if in DX 650 however for birds I will bump it to 1000+. Your D800 has "Auto ISO" activate it and for "Minimum shutter speed" choose "auto" Believe me this feature can be your best friend at times. I use it a lot.