Watermarking Portraits question

jayradio

I recently did some portraits for an acquaintance of her little girl, and sent them to her electronically (8 photos total), as I'm just starting doing portraits I charged next to no money. Habitually, I watermark any shots I put out there into the ether and always have.

She just sent me a message (three weeks later) asking me for the photos without the watermarks...and I should say, my watermark is just my name in the bottom right corner of a photo, plus I place a 'hidden' watermark of my name somewhere in the picture with the opacity at about 15%.

I was wondering what you all do when it comes to selling portraits, watermarking them, etc. What would you do in this situation?

J

Robert Mitchell

If you're charging any money at all then I wouldn't watermark them. They're not paying to advertise for you and unless you tell them up front and they agree I don't think it's right to watermark images you're selling.

If you're doing TF or a favor then again, you need to be up front about that. I embed my copyright and even when I own the work I think a watermark ruins a great image. Even the simplest watermark looks terrible, in my opinion.

If I were a paying client and got my photos with watermarks I'd ask for them to be removed and let the photographer know that I never agreed to have their name on the photos that I'm going to hang in my home.

You must stipulate any details like that up front and may also find that paying clients just want no part of it. You may own the copyright but that's something entirely different.

EDIT: If you're selling your work as 'Art' then it's acceptable to place your name below the image and on the matting or a plaque below the photograph but not on the photo.

Last edited:

jayradio

Like I said there was nothing 'printed' and they were all sent to her digitally. There is no watermark obscuring the photo in any way, just my name in the bottom corner. That I wouldn't even consider a watermark really...in most cases it get's hidden by any picture that is framed.

Robert Mitchell

If they paid you then it's not proper to watermark, no matter how small or obscured. Put it on the back if you do any printing and embed the copyright in the file.

What are you trying to protect or accomplish?

jayradio

Not really trying to accomplish anything...its more habit than anything, I've never had anyone ask me for pics without my name in the corner before so was looking for feedback. It was an odd request for me and I wanted to know what everyone else did. :)

pedroj

Not really trying to accomplish anything...its more habit than anything, I've never had anyone ask me for pics without my name in the corner before so was looking for feedback. It was an odd request for me and I wanted to know what everyone else did. :)

If you've charged her give her what she wants...