Julia : A Little Glamour

Robert Mitchell

Last time I worked with Julia we shot outdoors on location. This time we did a little studio glamour work.

She's from Russia and after living in the US for only 4 years, she has her own successful business and a modeling career that is taking off.

Camera & Lens:
Nikon D700 & Nikon 85mm f/1.8

Settings:
ISO 200, f/13, 1/125s

Lighting:
Clam shell configuration.
Main Light- 22" Beauty dish w/silver insert , grid and diffusion sock [positioned on lens' horizontal axis and above subject]
Fill- (2) silver reflector panels. [positioned close to subject and just low enough so it's out of frame]
[1] Hair/Rim Light- 14" x 55" strip softbox w/inner and outer diffusion and grid [positioned above and about 3 feet behind subject]

[1]
p1362254336-5.jpg

[2]
p1362254344-5.jpg

Robert Mitchell

Hi Marcel.

The shadows are in fact deep and the light is intentionally designed for high contrast glamour. If these were beauty shots the makeup would be simplified and the light would have a much softer, more diffused quality.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Marcel.

The shadows are in fact deep and the light is intentionally designed for high contrast glamour. If these were beauty shots the makeup would be simplified and the light would have a much softer, more diffused quality.

I know what you mean Robert, so I guess I prefer her eyes in the second picture. I wasn't talking about the makeup, but the brown of her eyes that I almost couldn't get in the first picture.

Robert Mitchell

Hi Marcel,

In the first image I have Julia leaning in towards the light. That does in fact deepen the shadows because she's not getting as much light in her eyes from the main light above her and she's also not getting the same amount of light from the reflector panels below. Your observation is correct. :)

Patrick M

I get the first picture. I like the focus. The shadows are an issue, but its certainly glamour and it works well. Good one.

In contrast I don't like the second. To me, it looks like the cover of a knitting pattern. Sorry. I'd have preferred the jumper to have been maybe softened a little so that the viewer's eye is more drawn to the model's face. The face is superb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Robert Mitchell

No need to apologize, Patrick. We're all entitled to our own opinions. I typically don't look at other people's images and describe what I would have done differently but that's cool.

We had an idea that we loved. We executed it to our liking and there you have it. :)