when to buy a seperate flash gun

bgatty68

can someone please tell me what flash guns are used for thatthe D3100 cant cope with? the reason i ask is that i see so many people talking about what flash gun to buy and I wonder if there is such a huge difference in using these instead of the built-in flash. Does anybody have tips on this or an explaination or pictures taken with and without a seperate flash gun.
Sorry if its an obvious thing for all the pros but for someone that has only been interested in photography for 6 months im struggling to understand the need for these unless photography is your living

Dave_W

The Dude
The on-camera flash unit is quite limited in it's applications. For one, it's not very powerful nor can you alter the direction of the light. With a flash unit you can angle the flash like upwards so you can bounce it off the ceiling or to the side as a fill flash. You can also reach much farther with a flash unit compared to the on-camera flash.

bgatty68

thanks for the reply dave, so would only a really experienced person see the difference in how a photo looks to even think about bouncing light off a ceiling or wall

Cochese

thanks for the reply dave, so would only a really experienced person see the difference in how a photo looks to even think about bouncing light off a ceiling or wall

The other thing to consider is that the flash, being at a fixed point on the camera, will cause shadows when you equip longer lenses or lens hoods.

Bouncing flash off a ceiling or wall results in a more dispersed light, as opposed to a picture with someone being blinded by direct light.

Dave_W

The Dude

No, I think an average viewer could tell the difference. The on-camera flash tends to washout the portions of the image that is close and then underexpose the portions further away. Frankly, if you intend on doing a lot of in-door photography without using studio lights then a flash unit like an SB-400 (at minimum) will make a huge difference in the quality of your images.

I would say to someone just starting off in photography to keep the idea of a flash unit in the back of your mind and the further you go into this hobby, your need for a flash will increase to the point where you'll get one. It's one of those things that you'll know when it's time to get one...if that makes any sense?

stmv

depends on if you are looking for snapshots, or portfolio shots

My favorite is to have my flash on a connector cable to the camera, so I can adjust the direction and angle or easily use a difuser, etc, A flash is just another tool in the kit. Even, outside, the separate flash can be critical to fill in shadow at an angle not possible with the built in camera flash.

Is it required, no, can it make a better picture, yes.

Mike150

Funny thing to me is nobody mentioned the dreaded "Red Eye". The on-board flash is at such a low angle to the plane of the lens, it almost guarantees red eye for indoor shots. A mounted flash raises things to a steeper angle so the red eye is minimized. Like Jack... I love my SB-700. I'd take it and leave the wife at home If I she'd let me.

RockyNH_RIP

I am going for the Idiot Proof... This "idiot needs all the help he can get!

To bgatty68,

I would not worry too much and use the built in until such time as you outgrow it:

1. YOU are not satisfied with your results

2. You are at a point that you want to start learning about Bounce Flash etc and practicing

3. You start getting more heavy into portraits (even family - see #1)

Have a great day ..

Pat in NH

fotojack

The nice thing, too, about the SB-700 is that it comes with the diffusers you'd otherwise have to buy separately, the off camera stand, and it comes in a nice handy travelling pouch for storing it all in. Seriously.....this flash should be in everyone camera bag! It is SOOO easy to use. It even automatically detects whether you're using FX or DX lenses!