Older Sigma and Nikkor lenses

omaho5

One of the reasons I purchased a D3100, other than year end price, is that we owned two Nkon compatitble lenses.
One is a AF Nikkor 35-70, 1:3-4.5.
The other is a Sigma 75-200 F/3.8. I understand that if used they must be in a manual mode. Are they worth keeping ?
Any other ideas on their useage/ restrictions would be well appreciated.
You can PM me if wanted.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you are happy with the resulting photos I don't see why you wouldn't keep them. If your question is are there better lenses out there than the answer is yes. Newer lenses are probably better. Just beware that whenever you start comparing and reading about lenses, there is no limit to what you might want. Make sure you understand the difference between "wants" and "needs".

Enjoy your Nikon!

Cochese

Any lens you like that produces images you are happy with is a good lens, manual focus or not. You'll have to pry my Tokina out of my cold dead hands, even though I might not use it a bunch with the DSLR. Feels great in the hand, I'm used to how it works, and I can get good quality from it.

It might eventually get replaced with a VR, AF lens, but it will still have a home on the 35mm.

stmv

I have a broad selection of lens and frankly, often splitting hairs to determine differences. Yes some are slightly less sharp, and others have ghosts effects when held toward light.but,, more important is the range of the lens, prime or zoom, and aperature rate.

Sometimes I think about ... what if Nikon came up with a single lens, say 15-250, F 1.8, and no larger than say the current DX 18-200 lens, with full macro 1:1,, no distortion, no Pin cushioning, super sharp, weather proof, shock resistant, say 1500 dollars, hahaha,, right........

so,, enjoy each lens in their own limitation.

Last edited: