Focusing Problems

Stusid

Just bought the D3200 after using the D40x for many years.

I have noticed that the kit lens focuses really accurately and is sharp (when using single point AF), yet my 50mm Prime lens and my 70-200mm lens's (more noticeably) are not focusing as accurately. They are forward focusing. I have clear filters on both of the lenses and wondered if anyone else has come across his problem? I have tried taking the filters off, and it does improve, but it's still hit and miss.

I am assuming it's the lenses, as the kit lens is spot on, but short of sending them both back to Nikon, does anyone have any ideas?

( I have posted here as well as on other posts so it is viewed more)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
I wish it did. I am comfortable with the functionality of the camera and the different focusing modes but puzzled by the performance of the AF. .

If it still on warranty, I'd have it looked at. Once tuned, it should be sharp as a tack.

Stusid

If it still on warranty, I'd have it looked at. Once tuned, it should be sharp as a tack.

The body and kit lens are performing very well it is my two supplementary lenses I am having problems with which I have had a while and which I used with my old D40x

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
The body and kit lens are performing very well it is my two supplementary lenses I am having problems with which I have had a while and which I used with my old D40x

Well, maybe the lenses could be calibrated with your new body. I don't know how much you're attached to them or if it would be worth it to have that done… I have no clue on how much this could cost.

Cowboybillybob1

You need AF-S or AF-1 lemses for Auto Focus to work properly. Besides the kit lens which is an AF-S lens and working properly what are the other lens types you are using?

See page 167 in the D3200 Users Manuel.

Last edited:

Stusid

I am using AF-S 55-200 and AF-S 50mm.

Please remember I have used Nikon DSLR's for over 8 years so I am aware of what to expect with focusing - both these lenses are focusing incorrectly.

Cowboybillybob1

I am using AF-S 55-200 and AF-S 50mm.

Please remember I have used Nikon DSLR's for over 8 years so I am aware of what to expect with focusing - both these lenses are focusing incorrectly.

I have both of those lenses for my D3200 and they work fine. Sorry. Wish I could be of more help.