New Enrollee already got great advice

Allen

Hi All,
Allen from Boston, MA area. A fairly recent D7000 owner who got great advice here choosing a macro lens - ultimately purchased a 105 Nikkor.
Anyhow, got back into SLR photography recently after many decades. Was a dual body enthusiast back in the match needle days. Looking forward to learning much and perhaps even contributing a little. : )

Best....

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Welcome to Nikonites Allen, enjoy the D7000 with the macro. It will be a very nice combination.

Dave_W

The Dude
Welcome Allen! And thank you for teaching me a new photo word. Until this morning I'd never heard the term "match needle". I learn something new everyday here on Nikonites!

RockyNH_RIP

Hi Alan,

Welcome to Nikonites, enjoy your visits and I hope that you find it a warm and friendly group as I have. I am actually your neighbor.. I am from Hudson, NH (next to Nashua)

Enjoy... and take lots of photo's - you have started with some excellent equipment..

Pat in NH

Allen

Thanks guys...looking forward to it.
Although not sure if Dave W was joking regarding new word...don't know him well enough yet. : )

Dave_W

The Dude
No joke, I'd never heard that term before. Maybe it's a regional thing? Or maybe I'm just not hanging out in the right circles? :cool:

Allen

No joke, I'd never heard that term before. Maybe it's a regional thing? Or maybe I'm just not hanging out in the right circles? :cool:

Oh...well, check out this Ken Rockwell link: Canon FTb review
...and scroll down to "Light Meter.'

Essentially it was how you gauged an exposure, i.e., as you are viewing the subject matter, the meter registered in the viewfinder. You then adjusted aperture, ASA and/or shutter speed to on or around where the needle sat depending how you wanted the final product to look......

Mike150

Welcome Allen,
I hadn't heard that term either. After Googling it, it brought back fond memories of my old old old Minolta camera back in the 70s.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Oh...well, check out this Ken Rockwell link: Canon FTb review
...and scroll down to "Light Meter.'

Essentially it was how you gauged an exposure, i.e., as you are viewing the subject matter, the meter registered in the viewfinder. You then adjusted aperture, ASA and/or shutter speed to on or around where the needle sat depending how you wanted the final product to look......

Now wait a minute here… ;) the ASA was fixed by the film that was loaded. Shutter speed and aperture could be toyed with but not ASA. These were great cameras, I still have an F-1 with the Montreal Olympic logo engraving. I'd sell it if anyone's interested.

Allen

Now wait a minute here… ;) the ASA was fixed by the film that was loaded. Shutter speed and aperture could be toyed with but not ASA. These were great cameras, I still have an F-1 with the Montreal Olympic logo engraving. I'd sell it if anyone's interested.

True the ASA was 'fixed' by the film, but you could request the lab to 'push' process so as to increase effective ASA. I also recall a photog friend setting it either marginally hi or lo for special circumstances.

And totally agree they were terrific cameras; they made you truly understand the triad relationship.....F-1 was the Caddie back then....

piperbarb

True the ASA was 'fixed' by the film, but you could request the lab to 'push' process so as to increase effective ASA. I also recall a photog friend setting it either marginally hi or lo for special circumstances.

And totally agree they were terrific cameras; they made you truly understand the triad relationship.....F-1 was the Caddie back then....

True, you could have the lab push the film but you had to shoot the whole roll at that ASA setting. So you either finished off the roll at the higher film speed, or took it out of the camera, had it developed, and wasted the rest of the roll.

It worked better for B&W film as compared to color.