Buying advice

abilinski

I am not a photographer nor I know one to get the advice but I have to make a decision to choose a Nikon camera from the following models:

D3100, D3200, D5000, D5100, D7000, D90

Will be mostly used as an event camera with indoor lighting, using built-in flash, possibly mounted external flash sometimes.

Budget - few hundred $, for sure less that a thousand. I know some models are more than that.

Megapixels not important, as a photo will be scaled down later for an online display 800x600px probably.

What I DO care about is good performance in a low-light conditions.

stamatisg2002

If you buy an expensive DSLR only for occasional use, without love for the subject and not for professional use it's a waste. A DSLR needs time to learn and bring it's full potential. But that's only my opinion! :)

Anyway, for the purpose you want it, I'd suugest you to an entry level camera, D3100, D3200, D5100. Preferably one which can pull high ISO. If you buy an entry level model, you will be within your budget, and throw also an external flash. Perhaps, some more experienced members can give more detailed advice on the subject. ;)

Ah, and welcome to the forum!!! It's full of people ready to help you!!! Don't be afraid to ask anything!!!

Cochese

I can only speak to my limited experience, but I have been pleased with my D5100 in indoor, low-light (not dark) situations.

Snapsort.com is nice in that it lets you see drilled down spec comparisons between the models. To see actual picture comparisons, you might want to look at the various model-specific groups on Flickr to see shots taken with these cameras.

I agree with Stamatis, a DSLR takes the want to learn. However, already I think I'm a better photo taker no matter which tool I use because I now understand more.