Marks on sensor of Nikon D200

papalazarou

Hi all,

I am brand new to the world of Digital SLR. My dad kindly gave me his old Nikon D200 as he has upgraded to a D300. He mentioned there was some dust on the sensor and after looking around the net someone mentioned taking a shot of something white with a low aperture. I have attached a picture of the result. Should I be concerned about the longer marks on the right hand side of the image? They look worse than just dust to me, but I am a novice so will bow to the knowledge of the community on this! :D

What is my best course of action for getting rid of these marks? Should I take it to a pro shop?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Jamie.

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 240

stmv

well,, yes, a pro shop will charge around 100 dollars for a clean, or you could buy an artic buterfly brush yourself, Pretty large pieces of dust, so, you should clean it. Sometimes a blast of air will work, but dust will still be inside.

Since you got the camera free, why not invest in a cleaning?

papalazarou

thanks for the reply stmv, do you not think I should worry about the sensor being damaged? Just that long line on the right made me think it may be more than just dust.

I agree a cleaning would be the best way forward, what should I use to give it a blast of air? I'm assuming a hair dryer on cold wont be gentle enough?

stmv

unless someone took a cloth to it,, image sensors are fairly tough, so,, maybe just a hair? get a spot ligh on it, with a magnifier glass for a look, before investing,

or tell the shop to check it out before cleaning,, to not spend the money if you don't think so.