+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 250
  1. #201
    Senior Member
    Dangerspouse's Avatar

    Re: Dangerous Spouse Pics

    I tried getting some hummingbird pictures today. Last time I tried I didn't have my D500, so I had to shoot in .JPG in order to get enough fps to catch the buggers in flight (the D5500 starts buffering after only 3 - 4 shots in RAW). So I was hopeful for a few more keepers. I also got a new feeder; a flat tray type, with no center column to intrude into the shot.

    But there was not a lot of light, a combination of tree cover and a new porch configuration which puts my feeder in shade. So even though it was bright and sunny, exposure was a problem. I put up two steady lights trained on the feeder, but even then at 1/2500th I still needed very high ISO.

    I started with the camera well back, since it was my experience last time that the noise of the shutter startles them for a while until they get used to it. Then I moved it closer, but by bit, which helped the resolution since I didn't have to crop as much. Still, they remained pretty skittish and I only got a few shots that I would even remotely consider keepers. But the deadline to enter the "Flying Things" challenge was coming up fast, so....

    First, the pic I entered:

    Dangerous Spouse Pics-hummingbird-5-june-2022-1-1-.jpg

    .

    Dangerous Spouse Pics-hummingbird-4-june-2022-1-1-.jpg

    .

    Camera farther back, so needing a good crop:

    Dangerous Spouse Pics-hummingbird-1-june-2022-1-1-.jpg

    .

    Dangerous Spouse Pics-hummingbird-2-june-2022-1-1-.jpg

    .

    Dangerous Spouse Pics-hummingbird-3-june-2022-1-1-.jpg


    › See More: Dangerous Spouse Pics
     
    "I finally made money in photography. I sold my camera." Unknown Redditor



  2. #202
    Senior Member

    Re: Dangerous Spouse Pics

    Great captures @Dangerspouse I really like the one where it seems he's changing directions.
    We put up a hummingbird feeder and so far, my wife is the only one who's seen any. Good for her but she doesn't take the pictures, lol!
    Thanks/Like Dangerspouse Thanks/liked this post
     
    Camera- Z6, D800, D7500, D40x
    Lenses-
    Z- 14-30 f4, 24-70 f4, 24-200 f4-6.3, 50 f1.8, 105 f2.8
    DX- Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma A 18-35 f1.8, Nikon 18-140 f3.5-5.6
    FX- Tamron 15-30 f2.8, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 80-200 f2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4, Nikon AF-P 70-300 f4.5-5.6 Sigma C 150-600 f5-6.3
    Prime Lenses- Nikon 50 f1.8g, Tamron 85 f1.8, Tokina 100 f2.8, Rokinon HD 8 f3.5

  3. #203
    Senior Member
    Dangerspouse's Avatar

    Re: Dangerous Spouse Pics

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedThrottle View Post
    Great captures @Dangerspouse I really like the one where it seems he's changing directions.
    We put up a hummingbird feeder and so far, my wife is the only one who's seen any. Good for her but she doesn't take the pictures, lol!
    Thanks TT! Haha - yeah, my wife is content to ride my coattails too
    "I finally made money in photography. I sold my camera." Unknown Redditor

  4. #204
    Senior Member
    Dangerspouse's Avatar

    Re: Dangerous Spouse Pics

    Tried the 3D Tracking feature of my D500 yesterday for the first time. I don't know why I've never given it a spin before. Maybe because I once saw a video calling it "garbage", and that colored my view before even using it. Up until yesterday (including my previous post), my method of taking hummingbird pics was: put the camera on a tripod, switch to Manual Focus, focus on a point just above the feeder perch, then fire a burst as the bird approached and landed. At least one shot was bound to have the head/eye in focus at 10 fps. And for the most part that worked pretty well.

    The downside, of course, is that you can't move the camera. Not to mention the low rate of keepers as the tiny hummingbirds just had to be a fraction off the focal plane to be out of focus.

    So yesterday it hit me that I was being an idiot. First of all, at shutter speeds of 2k and above, camera shake is not an issue. So no tripod needed. And one of the reasons I got the D500 in first place was because of its reputation for quickly focusing even in dim light, and holding on to focus. Why was I not taking advantage of that by insisting on manual focus? Again: idiot.

    When I had this little epiphany it was already late in the afternoon and the light was starting to dim. So I trained two baby spots on my feeder and sat a few feet away hand holding the D500. Sure enough about 20 minutes later I hummer buzzed in. It hovered just outside the light for a few seconds to see if I was a threat, but that was enough time to grab focus. And like the brochure said, even though it was very dim light at this point, the auto focus nailed it instantly.

    From there it was a piece of cake. I guess having only a single subject to follow against a plain background was the best possible scenario, but it was still impressive. I was so busy watching the focus squares in the viewfinder dance around as the bird wove and darted before landing that I almost forgot to press the shutter, lol. But I did manage to fire off a burst just as it lighted on the perch. Looked like it was waving at me, with one wing up. Of course, as soon as it heard the shutter it shot off again, and I was too slow to swing the camera and catch it. But I did get a couple of nice shots, and all of them in focus!

    I'll be trying that again in the next few days, but for now I'm pretty convinced that YouTube lied. 3D Tracking is not garbage.

    Dangerous Spouse Pics-hummingbird-waves-1-1-.jpg
     
    "I finally made money in photography. I sold my camera." Unknown Redditor

  5. #205
    Senior Member
    Peter7100's Avatar

    Re: Dangerous Spouse Pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerspouse View Post

    I'll be trying that again in the next few days, but for now I'm pretty convinced that YouTube lied. 3D Tracking is not garbage.
    Certainly it worked well for you in this shot
    Thanks/Like Dangerspouse Thanks/liked this post
     
    Peter

    D500
    D7100
    Tokina 11-16 f2.8
    Nikon 85mm 1.8G
    Tokina 100mm AT-X Pro Macro f2.8D
    Sigma 150-600c
    Lee filters
    My Flickr account - https://www.flickr.com/people/peter-young/

  6. #206
    Senior Member

    Re: Dangerous Spouse Pics

    Great shot DS! That 3d tracking only gets better too. It works especially well when shooting in live view, just tap the subject on the screen and it follows from there. Easy enough to tap again if it falls off. I have an early version of the 3d tracking in the D800 and its ok, much better performance in the D7500 in conjunction with the touch screen and pretty much perfect and almost all I use in the Z6. Have you tried setting the camera in quiet mode? I know it doesn't make much difference in DSLR's, but it might be enough to not scare the hummers. BTW, silent mode truly silent in the Z's, especially useful for those discrete shooting sessions.
    Thanks/Like Dangerspouse Thanks/liked this post
     
    Camera- Z6, D800, D7500, D40x
    Lenses-
    Z- 14-30 f4, 24-70 f4, 24-200 f4-6.3, 50 f1.8, 105 f2.8
    DX- Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma A 18-35 f1.8, Nikon 18-140 f3.5-5.6
    FX- Tamron 15-30 f2.8, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 80-200 f2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4, Nikon AF-P 70-300 f4.5-5.6 Sigma C 150-600 f5-6.3
    Prime Lenses- Nikon 50 f1.8g, Tamron 85 f1.8, Tokina 100 f2.8, Rokinon HD 8 f3.5

  7. #207
    Senior Member
    Dangerspouse's Avatar

    Re: Dangerous Spouse Pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter7100 View Post
    Certainly it worked well for you in this shot

    Thanks Peter, it did indeed. Hope it continues to do so under other conditions!
    "I finally made money in photography. I sold my camera." Unknown Redditor

  8. #208
    Senior Member
    Dangerspouse's Avatar

    Re: Dangerous Spouse Pics

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedThrottle View Post
    Great shot DS! That 3d tracking only gets better too. It works especially well when shooting in live view, just tap the subject on the screen and it follows from there. Easy enough to tap again if it falls off. I have an early version of the 3d tracking in the D800 and its ok, much better performance in the D7500 in conjunction with the touch screen and pretty much perfect and almost all I use in the Z6. Have you tried setting the camera in quiet mode? I know it doesn't make much difference in DSLR's, but it might be enough to not scare the hummers. BTW, silent mode truly silent in the Z's, especially useful for those discrete shooting sessions.
    Really? It can do that with the Live View? That is too cool, I can't wait to give it a try! Lol..."Quiet Mode" is a lie lie LIE. Plus, I think it only works in Continuous Slow, not Fast, and I really need the extra fps with these guys. But the good news is that, if the past two years are any indication, they'll get used to the sound in a few days and it won't be an issue. They get so damned hungry I could practically play a bugle next to the feeder and they'd evenually brave it.

    Thanks much!
    Thanks/Like TwistedThrottle Thanks/liked this post
     
    "I finally made money in photography. I sold my camera." Unknown Redditor

  9. #209
    Senior Member

    Re: Dangerous Spouse Pics

    One word.

    Mirrorless. The king of quiet.
    Thanks/Like Dangerspouse Thanks/liked this post
     

  10. #210
    Staff
    Admin
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Dangerous Spouse Pics

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerspouse View Post
    Really? It can do that with the Live View? That is too cool, I can't wait to give it a try! Lol..."Quiet Mode" is a lie lie LIE. Plus, I think it only works in Continuous Slow, not Fast, and I really need the extra fps with these guys. But the good news is that, if the past two years are any indication, they'll get used to the sound in a few days and it won't be an issue. They get so damned hungry I could practically play a bugle next to the feeder and they'd evenually brave it.

    Thanks much!
    Did you go into the menu and raise the number of shots in continuous low? There is an option to adjust the number.
    Thanks/Like Dangerspouse Thanks/liked this post
     
    Cindy - D750, D500, D7200
    My 2022 Thread
    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci






Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •