Interval Shooting D7500 question

TB32

Good evening everyone. Next week I fly off to Iceland for four days and I'm hoping to tick something off my bucket list and see the Northern Lights.

I've been looking at so many videos on Interval Shooting as id love to do a timelapse but be able to edit each photo of the Northern Lights if they make an appearance.

What I've read is that I should be looking for is a Long Shutter speed 10-30 seconds, if I go down the middle and say 20 seconds then that's 3 shots per minute. If I ultimately want to end up with a 30s timelapse playing at 25fps that's 750 photos which according to an online calculator will take over 4 hours to complete!!!

I guess I'm after some advice here regarding the shutter speed and whether I have this all wrong.

If someone on here has been able to create a timelapse of the northern lights, I would also love to know what settings they used.

Horoscope Fish

Good evening everyone. Next week I fly off to Iceland for four days and I'm hoping to tick something off my bucket list and see the Northern Lights.

I've been looking at so many videos on Interval Shooting as id love to do a timelapse but be able to edit each photo of the Northern Lights if they make an appearance.

What I've read is that I should be looking for is a Long Shutter speed 10-30 seconds, if I go down the middle and say 20 seconds then that's 3 shots per minute. If I ultimately want to end up with a 30s timelapse playing at 25fps that's 750 photos which according to an online calculator will take over 4 hours to complete!!!

I guess I'm after some advice here regarding the shutter speed and whether I have this all wrong.

If someone on here has been able to create a timelapse of the northern lights, I would also love to know what settings they used.
This is not something I've ever attempted but I did find this tutorial on the subject:

Time Lapse Photography - Tutorial and Techniques [for] the Aurora Borealis

nickt

No advice for the event or time-lapse, but if you are new to the interval timer function in your camera, the two issues that often come up are....

The interval includes the exposure time. It is not the time between shots. So for a 20 second exposure, your interval needs to be 20 seconds plus some time to finish up and save the image.

Turn off long exposure noise reduction or factor it into your interval. This function will double the time to process each shot and really mess up your intervals.

TB32

Thanks nickt and Horoscope Fish.
I'm going to head out tomorrow and try an interval shoot at different exposures then see how these look in Lightroom.