70-300mm, 4-5.6 vs 4.5-6.3

Karn

The (AF Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4-5.6G [FX 62mm])
Costs half as much as the (AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED [DX 62mm])
What's the big difference here, it appears (to me) the better overall lens is the 4-5.6, bigger lens, wider aperture, fits FX and DX (if I'm reading correctly), not a camera expert so idk, just looks better to me

Needa

Challenge Team
The AF-P Has limited compatibility on your D7200. I believe the incompatibility is you will not be able to switch off VR on the VR model. The P is for pulsed or stepper focus motor which is quieter.

Karn

I like that the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED has a 67mm lens, for some reason small ones like the 58mm seem kinda cheap to me, just trying to justify spend 4x as much on the AF-S for 500$ instead of 120$ on the FX

RocketCowboy

So the FX lens would be an overall better option for the D7200?

The FX lens will support all functionality that the lens offers, on your D7200. As mentioned, the biggest issue with the AF-P lens is that VR control is not on the lens body, but set in camera. Since your camera doesn’t understand how to do that, you’re basically stuck with VR on all the time. That may not be an issue, but it also might be if you stay locked down on a tripod with that lens a lot.

I here the IQ on the AF-P lens is great. It has the advantage of technology improvements to help out. On the long end though, it’s f/6.3 vs f/5.6. As you also mentioned, it’s a DX only lens, vs the older unit that will still work if you plan to upgrade down the road.

I have the FX version and have been happy with it. It can be soft on the long end, but as a travel lens, it works for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas

I've not seen the much advertised softness of my FX VR version on my D7100 but then again my eyes are not what they used to be.

grandpaw

I took this back in 2009 on a Nikon D90 with the Nikon70-300F4.5-5.6G VR and it looks fine to me.This was handheld and check out the back legs.I wasn't very far away so the DOF isn't much.

_DSC0321.jpg

Last edited: