Which do you use?

Friggs

Hey gang,

I am wondering which you use for birds in flight and other birds not in flight? Do you use Matrix metering or spot metering? If you use both, which do you use for what? When do you use spot metering? When do you use spot metering.

Thanks for the info.

mikew_RIP

I always used matrix with exposure adjustment,since getting the D500 ime experimenting with matrix,average,spot and highlight protection,at this point all i can say is ime more confused than when i started :D

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
If you are shooting a bird in the sky, Matrix metering will factor in the sky's brightness and underexpose the image. Spot metering also has its quirks. Depending on how dark or light the bird is, your meter will average out the lights and darks...meaning a dark bird may wind up overexposed, and a light bird might wind up underexposed The general rule of thumb is: When it's dark, go darker. When it's light, go lighter.

I know...this doesn't answer your question. Just be aware of the overall scene. Eventually you should be able to guesstimate a very close exposure setting. ;)

nickt

I just kind of go by feel for the situation. I have my pv and fn buttons set for spot and center weighted metering so I can quickly react to my feeling and not worry about forgetting to put metering or exposure comp settings back to normal.

Blacktop

I pretty much shoot BIF in spot metering, but once in awhile I'll switch to matrix depending on whether I care about only getting the bird exposed correctly or the whole scene.
It also depends on the available light as well. Let's say it's a dreary overcast day and I'm already at high ISO I'll use spot metering and try to focus on the darker part of the bird, so it will be exposed correctly so I won't have to pull up too much shadow in post.

If it's a sunny bright day where I'm using low ISO then I have more leeway and not have to worry much about dark areas. Usually I'll fire off a few shots, look at my results and make changes as necessary.

If you need a simple answer, then I almost always use spot metering for my bird shots.

Blacktop

I just kind of go by feel for the situation. I have my pv and fn buttons set for spot and center weighted metering so I can quickly react to my feeling and not worry about forgetting to put metering or exposure comp settings back to normal.

i never could get on with center weighted metering. I don't know what it is, but it just rubs me the wrong way. LOL

mikew_RIP

Thanks. That helps. LOL

Well up to now my thoughts are,matrix if i think what ever the target is would work.
Spot with highlight protection or 8mm center weighted

The reason for the last two options are,i use center point focus a lot of the time,if i choose spot obviously it will meter and focus on the same point,this works a lot of the time,with bird in flight shots and a fast moving medium to small target i struggle to keep the center focus point on target.
This is where my AF-ON button comes in,i have it programed to switch in 25 point focus,so now i am finding it easier to keep a focus point on the bird but it may not be the spot meter point so the center weighted one i find gives me more leeway.

Its all a work in progress at the moment but that's where i have got to with it.

nickt

i never could get on with center weighted metering. I don't know what it is, but it just rubs me the wrong way. LOL
I jump to spot metering often but I wouldn't miss center weighted. I programmed my 2nd button for it just in case, but I can't remember the last time I used it. I should experiment, maybe I'm missing out on something.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor

Center-weighted metering is pretty much all I use now. Usually I shoot with Aperture Priority and use the +/- EV button to make slight adjustments. When I was using Matrix metering, my adjustments were more frequent (I mostly shoot landscapes so Matrix was factoring in too much of the sky and/or trees). Center-weighted metering is what was used on my first manual 35mm film SLR.

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleNo=000002260&configured=1&lang=en_US

Friggs

Some of you mentioned assigning either spot metering or matrix metering the one of the buttons like the function button. When you do this does it change it over only when you press the button or does it switch over and stay that way until you change it? I didn't know you could assign one of them to a button. That would be handy.

Thanks for all the info.

mikew_RIP

Some of you mentioned assigning either spot metering or matrix metering the one of the buttons like the function button. When you do this does it change it over only when you press the button or does it switch over and stay that way until you change it? I didn't know you could assign one of them to a button. That would be handy.

Thanks for all the info.

At the moment i have no metering modes assigned to any buttons only focus modes,they do not stay in after you release the button,i will look at it later today as some of the things i assigned i have found i dont use so could change them.

Last edited:

mikew_RIP

Just checked on the D500 you can assign metering modes to the buttons,again release the button and it reverts to you original set mode,pleased you ask the question as i never thought of assigning a metering mode,its an age thing.

nickt

On my d7100/d7200, I assign metering to the two front buttons. As Mike said, its temporary. My pv button is an easy natural press for me so very easy to have spot metering on demand. Fn button, less convenient with center weighted. I need to give center weight another go though, it might improve my ducks on the water shots. I crop a lot of these anyway so maybe center weighted is better.
Something else worth a look, menu f6 (on mine), 'release button to use dial'. It makes all your button changes one handed. Tap the button, then the camera waits for the wheel to change the function. Great for one handed iso changes while supporting a big lens, but also makes metering and focus changes a little less awkward.