Does anyone know how to tell the difference Between

mikew_RIP

If your buying new price and who sells it,secondhand you could possibly check the serial number with Nikon,but the cameras will be identical.

Horoscope Fish

A real Nikon D750 and an aftermarket D750 or "Grey" market
Grey-market is no different from white-market in the manufacturing sense. But as Mike points out, vendor and price are usually the big indicators of grey-market kit. Look for the words "Import" or "Imported"; that's a dead giveaway and it's often buried in the technical specs.

Also look at the warranty specification, does the vendor mention a one-year Nikon warranty, or do they tell you about a, say for instance, "2-year warranty" but not mention Nikon? That's another indicator of grey-market because vendors often offer longer warranties on grey-market kit but you'll be dealing with the vendor, not Nikon, for warranty work. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Remember the warranty is only as good as the company standing behind it. And that's not a nod to Nikon; Nikon customer service, warranty repair included, is some of the worst I've ever experienced. I own a lot of grey-market kit and buying grey has saved me a ton of money over the years, but you DO need to know what the ramifications are of buying grey, and n short -- that means a lack of Nikon support. No big deal for me, personally, because they're the last place I'd go for repair work but for some the warranty is a big consideration. Caveat emptor and all that.

Last edited: