new photo upload size restrictions?

dh photography

did the image size restrictions for upload change again? I can't load photos now that are over 5mb? isn't working from mobile or ie. up until yesterday I was still able to upload up to 10mb images.

Roy1961

Contributor
i used to have trouble with that size also David, but i recently made them smaller and everything is working great

Fortkentdad

toolargeat2.JPG

Even 2.26 is too big.

Is this a policy change?

I have always suggested that people resize before uploading. The software has always resized them and it does not do near as good a job as you can.

Guidelines to adding a photo to your post.

1. Resize photo to 1000px on the long side.
2. Resolution set to 72ppi (Pixels Per Inch)

These guidelines will be good for viewing on a computer but will not be good for printing. This will help safeguard your copyright.

Ironwood

I always upload all mine at less than 200kb, I don't think it makes that much difference to the look of the image, but it loads way faster.

dh photography

Thanks for all of the replies, everybody. I know I sound kind of jerky on this, but I've never had to resize just to post before and this is just one more step I have to have time and space for just to post.

So all of you are downloading your final image after editing then making a resized copy just to upload here? Are you just making tiny files straight from LR OR PS? Do you delete these small images after? How many copies of those images are you making/keeping?

Last edited:

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
So all of you are downloading your final image after editing then making a resized copy just to upload here? Do you delete these small images after? How many copies of those images are you making/keeping?
I keep my smaller files in a "For Web" folder that goes in a "For Nikonites" folder that sits on my desktop. Each month I start a new folder that has the year, month and jpeg annotation. This way I can go back to specific times and dig out files if I ever need them for further web posting.

Danno

Thanks for all of the replies, everybody. I know I sound kind of jerky on this, but I've never had to resize just to post before and this is just one more step I have to have time and space for just to post.

So all of you are downloading your final image after editing then making a resized copy just to upload here? Are you just making tiny files straight from LR OR PS? Do you delete these small images after? How many copies of those images are you making/keeping?

I have a preset in my LR export for FB and here. It is set to the size recommendations and I store them by date like 20170125 and they are in a Nickonites FB export folder. It is usually a very quick process and easier for me to upload on my internet service.

I set up a number of presets in my export process. I have one for church photos that goes to a jump drive that are full size. I like the presets because I do not have to remember the details for each export.

dh photography

Ok, cool. Once I set up LR to do this, maybe it won't be so bad. Just another folder full of pics on my computer that's already small on space.

Are re the majority of you not downloading a full size copy of your images unless you're sending to print or sending large files to clients?

Scott Murray

Ok, cool. Once I set up LR to do this, maybe it won't be so bad. Just another folder full of pics on my computer that's already small on space.

Are re the majority of you not downloading a full size copy of your images unless you're sending to print or sending large files to clients?

Ok here is what I do.

1 if I am in a rush to post online to show an image off I will export it at low resolution max 300kb. Saved to an internet folder which I clear out every now and then.

2 If I am going to keep it it goes to a full size folder which is automatically backed up to Flickr, because some of these images are over 30mb I do not plan on sharing them straight away. 0.80mb max upload speed ;) if I am lucky.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I re-upped the max upload size from 2mb to 5mb. Some settings reverted when I updated server software (different from site software) yesterday.

dh photography

Setting up a separate internet folder this morning to do just that. No more large files exported out of LR unless it's going to print. I'm wondering what it will do to image appearance on certain contest sites and sharing sites. I'm not winning anything anyway, so it probably won't make much difference. LoL.

Scott Murray

Setting up a separate internet folder this morning to do just that. No more large files exported out of LR unless it's going to print. I'm wondering what it will do to image appearance on certain contest sites and sharing sites. I'm not winning anything anyway, so it probably won't make much difference. LoL.
If entering contests etc I normally export at their recommended sizes ;)

I have a export setup for LR that is for Facebook Nikonites that conforms to Facebook best practices and works here very good. Long side at 1024 Pixels. Facebook really screws up photos when you let it resize. The 1024 also lets the EXIF data show here.

When I edit a photo I first export it to a Folder named "Edited" that lives under the original folder and is added to the LR catalog. This is a full size TIFF file that is great for printing. I can then Publish the photo to my SmugMug account through LR without my watermark so it is ready to be printed and sold. I then Publish the same folder to "Hard Drive" through LR and that file is resized to the 1024 and my Watermark is added to the photo. This photo is saved to a folder on my Desktop and from there I can upload to Facebook and here. Hard Drive space is cheap now so I don't worry about storage as much as I do saving my photos.

jtk

I too have been struggling to upload some photos to the members gallery, I'm told the file size is too big & have managed to upload only one file which is <2mb. Couldn't use the flash-enabled uploader & had to use the basic one to do that single upload.

Don: your info is very helpful & I'll give that a go with some photos now...

So glad I found this site as everyone is very knowledgeable & gives so freely of it, unlike some places!