Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 AT-X PRO FX, anyone got/use one?

James Clark

OK, so i'm looking at investing in an ultra wide and this seams to be the only 2.8 in my price range for a full frame body. I've read some reviews but i'm looking for a real world review. Someone who has one or has had use of one. Whats it like?

James Clark

OK I've gone and bought it and sall soon be able to play with it (after the 9th as that's my birthday.) I'll let you all know my thought on it after then.

TedG954

If it is anything like the 12-24/4 lenses...... it's a good choice. My Tokina is my favorite DX lens. If I was looking for an UW zoom today, I wouldn't hesitate getting a Tokina.

RobV

I am just starting to investigate a wide angle lens for my FX, and this one has caught my eye. I will be watching this thread!
@TedG954, it was your recent thread that got me looking at Tokina! Thanks!

But, unlike my other poor lens choices, I am going to read and ask questions here before making the investment.

Blacktop

I'd like to try one of these myself! :)

You don't like zoom lenses. You already have a 20mm-D lens. My DX Tokina was a pretty sharp lens , but it doesn't measure up to that 20mm prime. The new FX Tokina might be better than the 20mm prime, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it..
I think you should get one anyway.

Bill16

It might be good for a wide walk around lens, when I don't have a plan in mind! :)

You don't like zoom lenses. You already have a 20mm-D lens. My DX Tokina was a pretty sharp lens , but it doesn't measure up to that 20mm prime. The new FX Tokina might be better than the 20mm prime, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it..
I think you should get one anyway.

James Clark

10 days and I can give you my version of a review. One thing that I have learn't is the filter problem has been solved thanks to lee filters. Who have brought out an adaptor ring to use the Lee 150 series. It fits to the front of the lens and stays there permanently. this allows the use of the full range of lee 150mm filters. The adaptor ring is £90 (around $130 converted I think)

For now though until I can get the money together (as the filters are costly too) I'll use the single shot multiple exposure system...