+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21
    Senior Member

    Re: Adobe RGB vs. sRGB

    The bottom looks slightly lighter overall to me on the laptop. Its a tiny amount, like .1ev
    I think I prefer the top but its so close. Both are identical on the tablet. I saved them to the computer and opened with windows photo viewer. Identical and I would say both compare to the top photo. I opened in LR and again identical and perfect.


    › See More: Adobe RGB vs. sRGB
    Thanks/Like hark Thanks/liked this post
     
    I must have a really good camera.



  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Texas's Avatar

    Re: Adobe RGB vs. sRGB


    "If you post an Adobe RGB picture online, it will automatically be converted to sRGB. "
    If true, looking at
    comparisons in this thread probably does not mean anything.

    https://digital-photography-school.com/adobe-rgb-versus-srgb-color-space/



    Last edited by Texas; 11-09-2018 at 09:56 PM.
    Thanks/Like Blade Canyon Thanks/liked this post
     
    D750, D90, D100, Nikon 1 J5
    (Once owned: EL, F2AS, D50, D200, D300s, and D7100)

  3. #23
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Adobe RGB vs. sRGB

    Quote Originally Posted by nickt View Post
    The bottom looks slightly lighter overall to me on the laptop. Its a tiny amount, like .1ev
    I think I prefer the top but its so close. Both are identical on the tablet. I saved them to the computer and opened with windows photo viewer. Identical and I would say both compare to the top photo. I opened in LR and again identical and perfect.
    You're right. The bottom looks a tad lighter to me, too, now that I look for it.

    This doesn't have anything to do with the Color Profile, but this is the method I used to batch process all of the PSD files to sRGB jpegs. Instead of creating an action within Photoshop, I used the Image Processor in Bridge that then sent the files to PCC for conversion and saving as sRGB jpegs.

    https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/us...tch-files.html
    Thanks/Like Blade Canyon Thanks/liked this post
     
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and
    My 2018 Thread
    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  4. #24
    Senior Member

    Re: Adobe RGB vs. sRGB

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post

    "If you post an Adobe RGB picture online, it will automatically be converted to sRGB. "

    While that may be true for certain platforms (like Facebook or the Nikonites board software), I'm not sure that every website or photo host does that. And if they do, the whole point about saving your pic in sRGB is for that very reason, otherwise AdobeRGB gets washed out in the conversion process.

    But I just looked at the Flickr album I posted earlier on an older Samsung tablet, and the sRGB is much more vibrant, so there must be some difference in the two color profiles, yet the pics in this thread look identical on the same tablet.
    Thanks/Like Texas Thanks/liked this post
     

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Texas's Avatar

    Re: Adobe RGB vs. sRGB

    It is not the website that does the sRGB conversion, browsers do it.

    Web browser color management guide
    Last edited by Texas; 11-09-2018 at 11:53 PM.
    D750, D90, D100, Nikon 1 J5
    (Once owned: EL, F2AS, D50, D200, D300s, and D7100)

  6. #26
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Adobe RGB vs. sRGB

    Adobe RGB vs. sRGB
    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    Here is another comparison. The first image was done as Adobe RGB. The second is sRGB. I have an entire folder of car show photos that will require converting. I did batch processing one time for resizing but haven't ever done it to change my color profile. 126 images is a lot, and I don't want to mess this up.

    Attachment 299548

    Attachment 299549
    I am having a huge problem with clipping blacks in the leaves after I convert the file from Adobe RGB to sRGB. I am sharing a Dropbox link to the original unedited NEF in hopes someone might be able to explain how to keep the colors saturated in sRGB while not clipping the blacks. The original NEF is underexposed while the leaves in my edited files above are too light.

    Any comments and/or suggestions on how to resolve clipping the blacks will be greatly appreciated. I have an entire folder to edit so I need to figure this out. To the naked eye, the colors were very saturated and lighter than they appear in the NEF but darker than they appear in my edited jpegs.

    A huge part of the issue is caused by clipping in the color saturation. But even when I dial back the saturation, it doesn't stop it...and only makes the image look blah.

    @Horoscope Fish any help will be appreciated. You've run into this same problem. I just haven't been able to figure out how to resolve it. There is little to no clipping in my edited file when saved as Adobe RGB. But no matter whether I convert to sRGB at the beginning of editing or at the end, the leaves are filled with clipped blacks. Please remember this file is shot in camera as Adobe RGB.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fi21b4fwvv...C7685.NEF?dl=0
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and
    My 2018 Thread
    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  7. #27
    Senior Member

    Re: Adobe RGB vs. sRGB

    Adobe RGB vs. sRGB
    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    I'm actually surprised with that. The bottom one *should* be the more vibrant of the two if there is any difference in color. Hmm....
    Just to make sure I wasn't imagining it, I used the Snipping Tool to do a screen grab, then loaded that in PS to move the two docks closer together. As you can see, the top one is the more vibrant (the deck wood is warmer, the greenish cast on the concrete pilings is greener) but maybe that is a function of your JPEG processor turning out the bottom one a shade lighter.

    Adobe RGB vs. sRGB-srgbadobergb.jpg


    ETA: Now that it's been uploaded and re-displayed through this website, the difference is not so noticeable as it is on the original screen grab.
    Thanks/Like hark Thanks/liked this post
     

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: Adobe RGB vs. sRGB

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    I am having a huge problem with clipping blacks in the leaves after I convert the file from Adobe RGB to sRGB. I am sharing a Dropbox link to the original unedited NEF in hopes someone might be able to explain how to keep the colors saturated in sRGB while not clipping the blacks. The original NEF is underexposed while the leaves in my edited files above are too light.

    Any comments and/or suggestions on how to resolve clipping the blacks will be greatly appreciated. I have an entire folder to edit so I need to figure this out. To the naked eye, the colors were very saturated and lighter than they appear in the NEF but darker than they appear in my edited jpegs.

    A huge part of the issue is caused by clipping in the color saturation. But even when I dial back the saturation, it doesn't stop it...and only makes the image look blah.

    @Horoscope Fish any help will be appreciated. You've run into this same problem. I just haven't been able to figure out how to resolve it. There is little to no clipping in my edited file when saved as Adobe RGB. But no matter whether I convert to sRGB at the beginning of editing or at the end, the leaves are filled with clipped blacks. Please remember this file is shot in camera as Adobe RGB.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/fi21b4fwvv...C7685.NEF?dl=0
    Hi Hark...

    I've downloaded your raw file and I'm looking at in ACR right now. One thing I notice is that your raw file opened in 8-bit mode. Is there some reason you're NOT working in 16-bit mode when processing raw files? Up to you of course but I thought I'd ask.

    Okay, so if the issue is the clipping of the Shadows (and all that clipping is in the Blue channel, by the way) try using the "Camera Flat" profile and changing the White Balance to "Daylight". Once I did that there was a decent amount of headroom on the left edge of the histogram. I was able to play around with the sliders a bit (I added some Exposure and Saturation), still without clipping the Shadows. I then added a little vignetting (because I think it needs some). Using the option "Paint Overlay" option in the Vignetting menu killed those specular highlights which you may see as a good, or a bad thing. Using the "Hightlight Priority" option leaves the specular highlights... Well, specular. Please don't interpret anything I've done as trying to tell you how to process your shot, I'm just trying to show there's some room to play without blowing out the Shadows after using the Camera Flat and Daylight white-balance adjustments.

    After playing around a bit I exported the raw to PhotoShop and converted my workspace to sRGB... Still no clipping:

    Hope this helps!
    ......
    Adobe RGB vs. sRGB-car-acr.jpg..........Adobe RGB vs. sRGB-car-acr-2.jpg..........Adobe RGB vs. sRGB-car-ps.jpg
    ........
    Thanks/Like hark Thanks/liked this post
     
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D750 (OLPF Removed), MB-D10; Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  9. #29
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Adobe RGB vs. sRGB

    Adobe RGB vs. sRGB
    Quote Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
    Hi Hark...

    I've downloaded your raw file and I'm looking at in ACR right now. One thing I notice is that your raw file opened in 8-bit mode. Is there some reason you're NOT working in 16-bit mode when processing raw files? Up to you of course but I thought I'd ask.

    Okay, so if the issue is the clipping of the Shadows (and all that clipping is in the Blue channel, by the way) try using the "Camera Flat" profile and changing the White Balance to "Daylight". Once I did that there was a decent amount of headroom on the left edge of the histogram. I was able to play around with the sliders a bit (I added some Exposure and Saturation), still without clipping the Shadows. I then added a little vignetting (because I think it needs some). Using the option "Paint Overlay" option in the Vignetting menu killed those specular highlights which you may see as a good, or a bad thing. Using the "Hightlight Priority" option leaves the specular highlights... Well, specular. Please don't interpret anything I've done as trying to tell you how to process your shot, I'm just trying to show there's some room to play without blowing out the Shadows after using the Camera Flat and Daylight white-balance adjustments.

    After playing around a bit I exported the raw to PhotoShop and converted my workspace to sRGB... Still no clipping:

    Hope this helps!
    ......
    Adobe RGB vs. sRGB-car-acr.jpg..........Adobe RGB vs. sRGB-car-acr-2.jpg..........Adobe RGB vs. sRGB-car-ps.jpg
    ........
    Thanks, Paul. I will look more into the info you posted and play around with it when I have time. I don't know why my file is opening as 8-bit for you. It opens at 16-bit on my Windows 7 laptop. Is there a camera setting I need to change? I thought my D750 was set for 14-bit NEF.
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and
    My 2018 Thread
    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: Adobe RGB vs. sRGB

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    Thanks, Paul. I will look more into the info you posted and play around with it when I have time. I don't know why my file is opening as 8-bit for you. It opens at 16-bit on my Windows 7 laptop. Is there a camera setting I need to change? I thought my D750 was set for 14-bit NEF.
    Well here's a shot of ACR and the Workflow Options link is showing your raw file opened as an 8-bit, aRGB file on my end. Camera Raw uses 8-bit mode by default. I updated my ACR to use 16-bit mode by default, though... Unless a recent update maybe screwed that up (?!). Ugh... Now I'm going to have to double-check things on my end. LOL... It never ends!
    ......
    Adobe RGB vs. sRGB-acr-8-bit.jpg
    ......
    .....
    Maybe something got lost in the download, but I'd suggest you click on the Workflow Options link and make sure you're defaulting to 16-bit:
    ......
    Adobe RGB vs. sRGB-workflow.jpg
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D750 (OLPF Removed), MB-D10; Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Similar Threads

  1. Post Processing
  2. D3200
  3. Computers and Software
  4. Computers and Software
  5. Photography Q&A

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •