+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Scott Murray's Avatar

    Re: What attracted you to Nikon?

    I decided on Nikon due to how well it felt in my hand, even now other brands feel weird or uncomfortable.


    › See More: What attracted you to Nikon?



  2. #12
    Senior Member

    Re: What attracted you to Nikon?

    I bought my first DSLR almost exactly a decade ago. My brother was an award winning news photographer who shot Canon, so I knew if I went that way I had stuff I could borrow. But when I compared the high end amateur stuff available in both at the time the D7000 beat out what Canon had available at the time in terms of price/performance, so I bit. Over time I added a D800, D7100, D600 that went to a D610 with the warranty issues, and a D750. Plus a bunch of good glass. And for the first time in half a decade I wasn't looking to buy anything else because there was nothing available that met a need I had.

    Meanwhile, my brother had been laid off of his newspaper gig (as many were) and after a year of busting his ass doing other stuff he got a job as the East Coast Pro Rep for Canon. When he came over for Christmas that year (2015) he takes me out to his car, opens the trunk, and tells me that Canon has outfitted him with at least one of everything and that they only want him to use the latest and greatest, so here's all his Canon pro gear from his newspaper days and it's mine to use for as long as I want, so I can take my time swapping systems and figuring out what I wanted to buy for myself. I was a little overwhelmed and took the next couple weeks to look it over and try and figure out all the different menu stuff and button positions.

    A couple weeks later Nikon introduced the D500, and as a predominantly wildlife photographer that body ticked all the marks. So I called my brother and told him I wanted to buy him lunch. We meet and I tell him that I'm blown away by his extremely generous offer, but that there's nothing I'm unhappy about with my gear, and with the D500 announcement it gives me something that Canon really didn't have at the time - at least not in that price point. He understood and respected the decision, but he also said that it was gonna put him in a bad spot with his boss, because he had said to him when he came on, "My brother's a Nikon shooter, and if I can't get him to switch within my first year then I'm not as good as you think I am." He's obviously proven himself otherwise.

    Meantime I now shoot mainly with a pair of D500's, one that almost always has a 500mm f5.6 PF attached and the other swapping between a 300mm f4 PF and the 70-200mm f4 for backyard birding and wildlife. The D7000 and D800 are now IR conversions, the D750 got sold and I have a Z6ii on order. I do believe that if I were to start from scratch now I would have avoided Nikon, my brother's job notwithstanding (I couldn't even get a discount through him), mainly because of the persistent rumors of financial issues. But even knowing that I do not regret the choice and if they ever do go under I will be happy to shoot with what I have until they die in my hands.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Peter7100's Avatar

    Re: What attracted you to Nikon?

    Quote Originally Posted by BackdoorArts View Post
    I bought my first DSLR almost exactly a decade ago. My brother was an award winning news photographer who shot Canon, so I knew if I went that way I had stuff I could borrow. But when I compared the high end amateur stuff available in both at the time the D7000 beat out what Canon had available at the time in terms of price/performance, so I bit. Over time I added a D800, D7100, D600 that went to a D610 with the warranty issues, and a D750. Plus a bunch of good glass. And for the first time in half a decade I wasn't looking to buy anything else because there was nothing available that met a need I had.

    Meanwhile, my brother had been laid off of his newspaper gig (as many were) and after a year of busting his ass doing other stuff he got a job as the East Coast Pro Rep for Canon. When he came over for Christmas that year (2015) he takes me out to his car, opens the trunk, and tells me that Canon has outfitted him with at least one of everything and that they only want him to use the latest and greatest, so here's all his Canon pro gear from his newspaper days and it's mine to use for as long as I want, so I can take my time swapping systems and figuring out what I wanted to buy for myself. I was a little overwhelmed and took the next couple weeks to look it over and try and figure out all the different menu stuff and button positions.

    A couple weeks later Nikon introduced the D500, and as a predominantly wildlife photographer that body ticked all the marks. So I called my brother and told him I wanted to buy him lunch. We meet and I tell him that I'm blown away by his extremely generous offer, but that there's nothing I'm unhappy about with my gear, and with the D500 announcement it gives me something that Canon really didn't have at the time - at least not in that price point. He understood and respected the decision, but he also said that it was gonna put him in a bad spot with his boss, because he had said to him when he came on, "My brother's a Nikon shooter, and if I can't get him to switch within my first year then I'm not as good as you think I am." He's obviously proven himself otherwise.

    Meantime I now shoot mainly with a pair of D500's, one that almost always has a 500mm f5.6 PF attached and the other swapping between a 300mm f4 PF and the 70-200mm f4 for backyard birding and wildlife. The D7000 and D800 are now IR conversions, the D750 got sold and I have a Z6ii on order. I do believe that if I were to start from scratch now I would have avoided Nikon, my brother's job notwithstanding (I couldn't even get a discount through him), mainly because of the persistent rumors of financial issues. But even knowing that I do not regret the choice and if they ever do go under I will be happy to shoot with what I have until they die in my hands.
    No wonder you were overwhelmed by what you brother left you to try.
    I can understand why the D500 helped to make your mind up as I think Canon made a huge mistake not producing a 7d Mark 3 as the mk2 although capable is not up to the spec of the D500.
    Peter

    D7100
    85mm 1.8G, 300mm F4 AF-S
    Canon 5D2, 7D, 17-40, 135.
    Lee filters

  4. #14
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: What attracted you to Nikon?

    After having one or two point and shoot film cameras (126 and 110), my first foray into 35mm was with a Yashica rangefinder. Couldn't change the lens and focusing wasn't always the easiest through the viewfinder, but it took impressive photos. When I decided to switch to an SLR, the camera store had manual bodies for Nikon (by far the most expensive), Canon, and Minolta. The Nikon exceeded my budget. The difference between the Canon and Minolta was the Canon offered both full Manual Mode or Shutter Priority. The Minolta offered both full Manual Mode or Aperture Priority. So I chose the Minolta XG-M which was a great start into really understanding exposure. The owner's manual wasn't too big or long and easily explained the correlation between aperture/shutter speed/film speed (ASA). It was very easy to understand.

    Many years later I signed up for an adult education class offered thru my local high school - the class was for printing black & white 35mm film. The instructor (who had been a teacher back when I was a student) and someone I became friends with both shot Nikon. Since I remembered how much more expensive the Nikon SLR was some 15+ years earlier, I figured it must be a good brand. So I never considered Canon or any other manufacturer. Wound up starting out with an N70 then upgraded to an N90s. Still have both of them.

    I shot with the N90s until around 2011 when I purchased my first DSLR - a D90. Prior to that, I had a small point-and-shoot digital zoom camera by Kodak. Eventually I upgraded to a D7100 which offered more megapixels. But I never cared for the crop factor. Since I learned on 35mm, I always find myself calculating the focal length when using DX. When the D600 came out, I went full frame especially since many of my 35mm SLR lenses worked with it. But then came upgrading those lenses to ones with a little better quality plus the option of having VR.

    I never intended to go back to a DX body, but I began to enjoy the telephoto advantage that the crop sensor bodies offered. So once again I upgraded to the D7200 which I still use. The D600 had numerous oil spot issues that Nikon couldn't resolve, so after striking out 3x with their repair service, I sent them the D600 for a refund. I immediately put the money towards a D610. After the D750 had been out for a while, I decided I wanted a second FX body so went with the D750. And then last year I upgraded to the D500 for DX while keeping the D7200 as a back up/supplemental body.
    Last edited by hark; 02-18-2021 at 06:10 PM.
    Thanks/Like Peter7100 Thanks/liked this post
     
    Cindy - D750, D500, D7200
    My 2021 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Peter7100's Avatar

    Re: What attracted you to Nikon?

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    After having one or two point and shoot film cameras (126 and 110)
    I also had the Kodak Instamatics but I never really counted them as 'real' cameras.
    Goodness remember Kodak, they could have been so big today if they had followed the way technology was moving.
    Peter

    D7100
    85mm 1.8G, 300mm F4 AF-S
    Canon 5D2, 7D, 17-40, 135.
    Lee filters

  6. #16
    Senior Member

    Re: What attracted you to Nikon?

    I started out with an instamatic 110. By the early or mid 70s my parents and sister were using Nikons and I figured it must be a good brand. In the mid 80s when I was a tool dealer, one of my customers needed cash and offered some canon gear for sale. I noticed he also had an F3hp, 105mm f2.5 and a 300mm f4.5 which I wound up buying. I didn't consider other brands when getting into digital.
    Thanks/Like Peter7100 Thanks/liked this post
     

  7. #17
    Senior Member

    Re: What attracted you to Nikon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter7100 View Post
    Goodness remember Kodak, they could have been so big today if they had followed the way technology was moving.
    They made the original digital sensor assemblies and partnered with Nikon to put them in bodies. My brother used one of the first ones at the Star Ledger here in NJ with I believe it was an F3 in the mid-90s. That thing had a 200MB SCSI hard drive that could store a couple hundred images. He's been slowly collecting copies of the ones that he used back in the day and they sit in a corner cabinet in his dining room.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Woodyg3's Avatar

    Re: What attracted you to Nikon?

    I started with a Kodak Brownie when I was seven, and some of the pictures I took with it still stand up as pretty good, if I do say so myself. My dad really supported my photographic interest, even building me a darkroom in the house. He got me an Instamatic, then let me use his Agrus C3, and later his Koncia Autoreflex SLR. I used that in college and earned a few extra bucks doing sports photography. I stayed with Konica for a good long time, owning a few different bodies. Then autofocus came along. I could certainly see the value of this for sports photography, which was still an interest for me. I got a film Nikon SLR because as a kid that had always been my dream camera. I think it was an N85 or something like that. When digital came I didn't take it very seriously at first, and I got a Nikon point and shoot that was handy on trips and family gatherings. When I saw how easy it was to handle digital, and so much cheaper than paying for film and processing, I decided to go for a used Nikon D70. I had a 70-300 and went out to take pictures of some Pelicans we had seen at a local pond. That was the beginning my biggest passion in photography, wildlife. After a while a D7100, the D7200, then 2 D500s came into my collection, along with an assortment of lenses. Being retired, I can spend ridiculous amounts of time with my hobby, and Nikons remain my favored tools.
    Thanks/Like Peter7100, BeegRhob, bluzman, Danno Thanks/liked this post
     
    Woody Green

    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose

    D500, D7200, D7100, D70

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    mikeee's Avatar

    Re: What attracted you to Nikon?

    I graduated college in 1986 and had a nice job, and a friend wanted to go to Hawaii to celebrate our graduations. I was coming from a Hawkeye Instimatic II by Kodak,
    and wanted something nice for the trip. The camera store steered me to a Nikon N2020, which was the first autofocus SLR. I still have that body, but it stopped working.
    Went back to the camera store and they sold me a used N6006 body.
    I think the DSLRs were too expensive for me at the time.I never really got to learn much about just using these as a point and shoot with the cost of film. So I had a Nikon AF-50mm lens, and by the time
    prices came down enough for me, I thought the lens compatibility a reason to stick with Nikon. I bought a refurbed D3200 and bought some lenses. I was somewhat dissatisfied with the autofocus on
    the D3200 and upgraded to the D7100. Picked up a D7500 later on.
    Thanks/Like Peter7100 Thanks/liked this post
     
    D7500 / D7100 / N6006 / Nikon AF-S 35mm / Nikon AF 50mm / Sigma 17-50mm / Nikon AF-P FX 70-300mm / Tokina 11-16mm / Sigma C 150-600mm / Sigma A 50-100mm / Nikon AF-S 105mm Micro

  10. #20
    Junior Member

    Re: What attracted you to Nikon?

    Many, many years ago (the 70s), I was using the Olympus OM2N. Great camera, had 4 bodies, all with motor winders, 4 flashes all with power grips, and tons of other Olympus gear. Then the new electronic version came out, the OM2SP. Stupidly, I got rid of my 4 reliable OM2N bodies, and bought 4 of the newer model - DISASTER! They were constantly breaking down. It was a good week when I only had 2 in for repairs.


    So I sold all of my Olympus gear and went into every pro camera shop, and asked "What is more reliable, Nikon or Canon?" And except for one shop that specialised in Canon, everyone said Nikon, hands down. I bought an F3, then I had 4x F801 bodies, SB24, SB25 & SB28 flashs, then I upgraded all to the F100. Best camera I have ever used.

    Before I bought my first digital Nikon, used a borrowed Canon for a few weeks, and hated it. Buying Nikon was a no brainer.


    Absolutely thrilled with the D7200 - I now have 2 of them, both gripped. My partner uses my old D3200 (removed the grip - too big for her small hands) And my ancient D50 is now just used for Ebay photos.
    Thanks/Like Peter7100 Thanks/liked this post
     





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •