+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    480sparky's Avatar

    Re: Struggling with white balance

    If you're setting the white balance manually, what method are you using to determine the actual K of the lighting?


    › See More: Struggling with white balance
    Thanks/Like Clickr Thanks/liked this post
     
    Don't mind me... I'm out roaming around somewhere between Zone III and VII.


    Go forth and actuate!


    My Website.



  2. #12
    Senior Member

    Re: Struggling with white balance

    I always use Kelvin, and i have edited the post and attached the pic for ur reference bro.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    480sparky's Avatar

    Re: Struggling with white balance

    Bro?

    I don't know what you edited, but you still haven't provided any answers.
    Thanks/Like Clickr Thanks/liked this post
     
    Don't mind me... I'm out roaming around somewhere between Zone III and VII.


    Go forth and actuate!


    My Website.

  4. #14
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Struggling with white balance

    Struggling with white balance
    I looked at your original image in Camera RAW. Take a look at the two red circles on the upper right. The white triangle on the left indicates your blacks are clipped. That means you have lost detail in those areas. Now look at the photo. The blue areas that are circled represent the blacks that are clipped.

    Then look at the red triangle on the upper right. That means your whites are clipped. The areas that are red that are circled are the clipped whites. Unfortunately clipped whites are displayed as red splotches in Camera RAW, and some of the red colors in your image are clipped. You've lost detail in those areas, too.

    Struggling with white balance-clipping.jpg

    So I did a quick edit in Camera RAW. I allowed the program to use Auto White Balance. If you look at the image above, the White Balance indicates As Shot. I used the drop down menu and chose Auto. That lowered the temperature to be more blue (sorry, I didn't think to take a screen shot of the settings). It also changed settings such as the exposure, lowered the contrast, helped correct the clipped whites and blacks, plus other changes. The Kelvin you used was way too warm, and the colors were much too saturated which only exacerbated the warm skin tones.

    Struggling with white balance-dsc_7194-after-edit.jpg
    Thanks/Like Clickr, Needa Thanks/liked this post
     
    Cindy - D750, D500, D7200
    My 2021 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  5. #15
    Senior Member

    Re: Struggling with white balance

    I just take a shot and check it on the back of the LCD screen, I adjust kelvin just seeing at the pic, thats all...


    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    If you're setting the white balance manually, what method are you using to determine the actual K of the lighting?

  6. #16
    Senior Member

    Re: Struggling with white balance

    My first post was without any reference image, and I meant to say, I edited the first post, adding the reference image. Sorry that i was not clear and confused you...

    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    Bro?

    I don't know what you edited, but you still haven't provided any answers.

  7. #17
    Senior Member

    Re: Struggling with white balance

    Struggling with white balance
    Beautifully explained, I appreciate the time you took to explain this in such a way. One last thing, you mentioned, "the colors were much too saturated," Is there anything that I could do in camera, do retify this or this can only be done through HSL Tab in LR in postprocessing.


    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    I looked at your original image in Camera RAW. Take a look at the two red circles on the upper right. The white triangle on the left indicates your blacks are clipped. That means you have lost detail in those areas. Now look at the photo. The blue areas that are circled represent the blacks that are clipped.

    Then look at the red triangle on the upper right. That means your whites are clipped. The areas that are red that are circled are the clipped whites. Unfortunately clipped whites are displayed as red splotches in Camera RAW, and some of the red colors in your image are clipped. You've lost detail in those areas, too.

    Struggling with white balance-clipping.jpg

    So I did a quick edit in Camera RAW. I allowed the program to use Auto White Balance. If you look at the image above, the White Balance indicates As Shot. I used the drop down menu and chose Auto. That lowered the temperature to be more blue (sorry, I didn't think to take a screen shot of the settings). It also changed settings such as the exposure, lowered the contrast, helped correct the clipped whites and blacks, plus other changes. The Kelvin you used was way too warm, and the colors were much too saturated which only exacerbated the warm skin tones.

    Struggling with white balance-dsc_7194-after-edit.jpg

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    480sparky's Avatar

    Re: Struggling with white balance

    Quote Originally Posted by Clickr View Post
    My first post was without any reference image, and I meant to say, I edited the first post, adding the reference image. Sorry that i was not clear and confused you...
    OK, all well and good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Clickr View Post
    I just take a shot and check it on the back of the LCD screen, I adjust kelvin just seeing at the pic, thats all...
    But 'just looking at the monitor' is about the worst way to set the white balance. Shoot raw, include a gray card in an image, and set WB in post.
    Thanks/Like Clickr Thanks/liked this post
     
    Don't mind me... I'm out roaming around somewhere between Zone III and VII.


    Go forth and actuate!


    My Website.

  9. #19
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Struggling with white balance

    Quote Originally Posted by Clickr View Post
    Beautifully explained, I appreciate the time you took to explain this in such a way. One last thing, you mentioned, "the colors were much too saturated," Is there anything that I could do in camera, do retify this or this can only be done through HSL Tab in LR in postprocessing.
    You'd need to go into the menu of your body and find out what Picture Control is set. Neutral should definitely yield less, but if you are shooting jpeg, the images might look too bland. The other option is to use whatever Picture Control is set - but you can go in and have the option to lower the saturation in-camera through that Picture Control setting. You can also tweak your contrast as well as other settings if you choose.

    If that doesn't work well enough, then change to a different Picture Control (stay away from Vivid as that's too colorful and contrasty). Tweak any individual settings if necessary. If that doesn't work, then try yet another Picture Control. Off hand I can't remember all of them. I'm pretty sure mine is set to Standard which might be the default. All you can do is to experiment.

    And if shooting jpegs, any white balance above 5500 is getting into the warm colors. At times even 5500 is too warm. You have to consider the environment you are in. If you are indoors with tungsten lighting (the old fashioned light bulbs that give off a brownish coloring), then you'd have to choose tungsten as your white balance to color correct the image in camera. If you are shooting RAW or using Photoshop or Lightoom, then you can easily change your white balance during post processing. Otherwise, try the suggestion about tweaking the Picture Control in camera.
    Thanks/Like Clickr Thanks/liked this post
     
    Cindy - D750, D500, D7200
    My 2021 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  10. #20
    Senior Member

    Re: Struggling with white balance

    Thanks a ton !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    You'd need to go into the menu of your body and find out what Picture Control is set. Neutral should definitely yield less, but if you are shooting jpeg, the images might look too bland. The other option is to use whatever Picture Control is set - but you can go in and have the option to lower the saturation in-camera through that Picture Control setting. You can also tweak your contrast as well as other settings if you choose.

    If that doesn't work well enough, then change to a different Picture Control (stay away from Vivid as that's too colorful and contrasty). Tweak any individual settings if necessary. If that doesn't work, then try yet another Picture Control. Off hand I can't remember all of them. I'm pretty sure mine is set to Standard which might be the default. All you can do is to experiment.

    And if shooting jpegs, any white balance above 5500 is getting into the warm colors. At times even 5500 is too warm. You have to consider the environment you are in. If you are indoors with tungsten lighting (the old fashioned light bulbs that give off a brownish coloring), then you'd have to choose tungsten as your white balance to color correct the image in camera. If you are shooting RAW or using Photoshop or Lightoom, then you can easily change your white balance during post processing. Otherwise, try the suggestion about tweaking the Picture Control in camera.





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •