+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Any Serious Shooters Here Enter Contests?

    I was wondering how many people here enter the odd photography contest, particularly if you otherwise market your photography for licensing, purchase, etc.? The reason I ask is that I have recently gotten into drone photography and am studying for me FAA credentials, and after posting some work to my Facebook page with tags for the drone manufacturer I was asked if I was planning on submitting something to their contest. First place could get me $500, and two second place prizes are $250 each. So I went to the website and read the terms and conditions, which read like almost every other contest out there...

    By uploading or otherwise transferring or submitting the UGC ("User Generated Content"), you hereby grant to (manufacturer) a perpetual, non-exclusive, worldwide, unlimited, irrevocable, fully sublicenseable, transferable, assignable, royalty-free, fully-paid right and license to use the UGC, including to record, reproduce, copy, modify, adapt, publish, display and prepare derivative works, incorporate other works into, publicly perform, publicly display, distribute, broadcast, telecast and otherwise exhibit, transmit, edit, and otherwise exploit the UGC, in whole or in part, whether or not within or in connection with the (manufacturer) Network Materials, for any purpose in any form, media, or technology now known or hereafter developed or created, including, but not limited to, the Licensed Uses.

    The bold text is what bothers me the most, because it applies to every image submitted, not just the winners. I tend to look at these as free content grabs and avoid them like the plague. Anyone feel differently and want to try and talk me out of my opinion?


    › See More: Any Serious Shooters Here Enter Contests?
    Thanks/Like Texas Thanks/liked this post
     
    Jake

    The imitator is a poor kind of creature. If the man who paints only the tree, or flower, or other surface he sees before him were an artist, the king of artists would be the photographer. James McNeill Whistler



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    mikew's Avatar

    Re: Any Serious Shooters Here Enter Contests?

    Its what we call in the UK RTA syndrome (road traffic accident) you know you shouldn't look as it will be messy and possibly upset you but you still look.
    Mike

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/7239177@N07/

    Panasonic G9,G80, 12-60, 60mm macro, 100-400

    Nikon 1 V2,FT-1,10-30mm 30-110mm Viltrox extension tubes










  3. #3
    Staff
    Challenge Team
    Super Mod
    RocketCowboy's Avatar

    Re: Any Serious Shooters Here Enter Contests?

    I tend to agree with you Jake. I think the company is looking to source some images for their own marketing campaigns, and this is one way to do it. They don't have to provide credit back either, since they are licensed unlimited rights, in perpetuity.

    I guess the question goes then ... did you have other intentions for the images that might be submitted? The hobby shooter is good with the personal recognition that they entered the contest and maybe made it to a certain level. If the intent was to also sell the images that were submitted, then I would definitely think twice about entering them. It doesn't sound like they are asking for copyright transfer, so you can still use your images as you see fit, but then so can they through this license.

    I would be cautious with any images I intended to submit, just to keep up with who is licensed for what.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: Any Serious Shooters Here Enter Contests?

    Quote Originally Posted by BackdoorHippie View Post
    ... Anyone feel differently and want to try and talk me out of my opinion?
    Not I.

    And while I don't think I have any delusions about the quality of my work I sure as hell respect it more than to give it away so it can not only be redistributed in whole by every conceivable method, but also butchered, pieced-out and/combined into who knows what and for any purpose under the sun.
    Thanks/Like BackdoorHippie, Blacktop, RocketCowboy Thanks/liked this post
     
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D850, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  5. #5
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Any Serious Shooters Here Enter Contests?

    Quote Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
    Not I.

    And while I don't think I have any delusions about the quality of my work I sure as hell respect it more than to give it away so it can not only be redistributed in whole by every conceivable method, but also butchered, pieced-out and/combined into who knows what and for any purpose under the sun.
    Yes, since it says they can modify the images, that leaves me wondering how anything might be used in the future. @Rick M and @Scott Murray both of you have entered contests, haven't you? Can either of you add any words of wisdom or share your experiences with the processes and outcomes?
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and My 2019 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Texas's Avatar

    Re: Any Serious Shooters Here Enter Contests?

    Pretty standard agreement. You get to enter, they get the photo's.

    Sierra Trading Post's Photo Contest is No Bargain |
    D750, D90, D100, Nikon 1 J5
    (Once owned: EL, F2AS, D50, D200, D300s, and D7100)

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Re: Any Serious Shooters Here Enter Contests?

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    Pretty standard agreement. You get to enter, they get the photo's.

    Sierra Trading Post's Photo Contest is No Bargain |
    Which is what I've stated. I'm looking to find out if anyone sees any real benefit to photographer in exchange for the giveaway?
    Jake

    The imitator is a poor kind of creature. If the man who paints only the tree, or flower, or other surface he sees before him were an artist, the king of artists would be the photographer. James McNeill Whistler

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Texas's Avatar

    Re: Any Serious Shooters Here Enter Contests?

    That will be interesting if any of the sophisticated photographers on this forum see a benefit to such a deal. I'll stay tuned !
    D750, D90, D100, Nikon 1 J5
    (Once owned: EL, F2AS, D50, D200, D300s, and D7100)

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Re: Any Serious Shooters Here Enter Contests?

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    Yes, since it says they can modify the images, that leaves me wondering how anything might be used in the future. @Rick M and @Scott Murray both of you have entered contests, haven't you? Can either of you add any words of wisdom or share your experiences with the processes and outcomes?
    These are some of the folks I'm waiting to hear from because I know they do contests. I suspect that most of the alterations have to do with crops and the addition of logos, etc., but once that image license has been passed on all bets are off, including pieces being used in stock photo composites. What it does is makes it near impossible for you to track the copyright on the photo submitted - or at least complicates the hell out of it.

    And as I said before, when you're giving away your work you are doing a great disservice to all those who do this for a living, which is one of the main reasons why I hesitate. That said, my brother shot news for two decades and one of the first things he did when he left was starting to submit his personal work to contests. We've talked about it and a lot depends on the scope of the use, and generally contests that require you to pay to enter have more limited use verbiage. Blah, blah, blah...
    Jake

    The imitator is a poor kind of creature. If the man who paints only the tree, or flower, or other surface he sees before him were an artist, the king of artists would be the photographer. James McNeill Whistler

  10. #10
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Any Serious Shooters Here Enter Contests?

    Quote Originally Posted by BackdoorHippie View Post
    These are some of the folks I'm waiting to hear from because I know they do contests. I suspect that most of the alterations have to do with crops and the addition of logos, etc., but once that image license has been passed on all bets are off, including pieces being used in stock photo composites. What it does is makes it near impossible for you to track the copyright on the photo submitted - or at least complicates the hell out of it.

    And as I said before, when you're giving away your work you are doing a great disservice to all those who do this for a living, which is one of the main reasons why I hesitate. That said, my brother shot news for two decades and one of the first things he did when he left was starting to submit his personal work to contests. We've talked about it and a lot depends on the scope of the use, and generally contests that require you to pay to enter have more limited use verbiage. Blah, blah, blah...
    Well...of course the other option you can do is to tease them with a few images without entering their contest. If they ask again whether you submitted them, tell them no, but they are for sale. Lol--I'm just being funny with a dose of seriousness, Jake.
    Thanks/Like RocketCowboy Thanks/liked this post
     
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and My 2019 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci







Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •