+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Observation on memory card storage

    My D7000 tells me I have space for 902 raw pictures on an empty 32 GB memory card. I thought my recent trip to Germany would be when I finally filled up a card.

    Nope. I took 1232 images and 13 videos during that time and they all fit on one card. The camera still shows 172 pictures remaining. It looks like I used 24.1 GB of the capacity of the card.

    No major conclusion or point here...I just thought it was interesting how many more pictures I was able to get on the card than the estimate.


    › See More: Observation on memory card storage



  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Re: Observation on memory card storage

    Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    My D7000 tells me I have space for 902 raw pictures on an empty 32 GB memory card. I thought my recent trip to Germany would be when I finally filled up a card.

    Nope. I took 1232 images and 13 videos during that time and they all fit on one card. The camera still shows 172 pictures remaining. It looks like I used 24.1 GB of the capacity of the card.

    No major conclusion or point here...I just thought it was interesting how many more pictures I was able to get on the card than the estimate.
    Perhaps it was using worst case scenerio sizes for the prediction.

    HTH
    Thanks/Like Don Kuykendall Thanks/liked this post
     
    Never say never, Because never comes too soon.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Re: Observation on memory card storage

    Quote Originally Posted by ryan20fun View Post
    Perhaps it was using worst case scenerio sizes for the prediction.

    HTH
    Probably. I really put it out there in case people were wondering how solid that estimate really is. My conclusion - not very, but it's at the far lower end, so it's wrong in a "good" way.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Challenge Team
    Blacktop's Avatar

    Re: Observation on memory card storage

    Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    My D7000 tells me I have space for 902 raw pictures on an empty 32 GB memory card. I thought my recent trip to Germany would be when I finally filled up a card.

    Nope. I took 1232 images and 13 videos during that time and they all fit on one card. The camera still shows 172 pictures remaining. It looks like I used 24.1 GB of the capacity of the card.

    No major conclusion or point here...I just thought it was interesting how many more pictures I was able to get on the card than the estimate.
    Not all RAW files are the same size. It depends on the amount of information that is on the file/image.

    Do a test. Take a shot of something that has lots of stuff in it, and take one of a single twig or something simple like that. The two image sizes should be different.
    Thanks/Like paul04, Elliot87 Thanks/liked this post
     
    Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 AF-D
    Nikkor 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5-D
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8-D
    Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 VR
    Nikkor 70-200mm F/2.8 VR I
    Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6 VR
    Pete's Flickr... Blacktop's Photo and a Song .... Blacktops 365

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Re: Observation on memory card storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Blacktop View Post
    Not all RAW files are the same size. It depends on the amount of information that is on the file/image.

    Do a test. Take a shot of something that has lots of stuff in it, and take one of a single twig or something simple like that. The two image sizes should be different.
    Where did I say that they were the same size?

  6. #6
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Observation on memory card storage

    Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Where did I say that they were the same size?
    I think what he's saying is your 1232 images may have a higher number of smaller files so more images may fit on the card because of it.
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and My 2019 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Re: Observation on memory card storage

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    I think what he's saying is your 1232 images may have a higher number of smaller files so more images may fit on the card because of it.
    I'm remembering why I don't post here much anymore. Too much condescension.
     

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    WayneF's Avatar

    Re: Observation on memory card storage

    Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    I'm remembering why I don't post here much anymore. Too much condescension.
    You made a comment about it that indicated it was a new subject for you, and they are just explaining to answer your puzzlement. You could say "thanks".

    Nikons "card space for a number of shots remaining" is a very conservative measure. You can believe that many will still fit, and most likely quite a few more will fit too.

    File sizes vary with compression degree. Raw too, but speaking of JPG, a couple of hundred JPG files (all same size in pixel dimensions) in one disk folder, sorted by file size, might vary 2 to 1 on file size in bytes. It depends on scene content. Areas of blank space (plain walls, clear skys) compress much better than highly detailed areas. That is the "smaller files" concept that was mentioned. Size in bytes.

    Sort your image folder by file size and you will see this. My raw file folders usually do not vary as much as 2 to 1, but I have some that vary more than 3 to 1. So, how many more images will fit on the card "varies", depends on what you aim the camera at. Depends on the compressed file size. The large files will contain much detail, and the small files will contain more blank area.

    Anyway, Nikons number of shots in card space remaining is very conservative. The camera does not know what images you will take, so it is more of a worst case, more of a failsafe safety factor. As you fill the card to near 100% (when it matters), it will become very much more accurate. When it gets down to "space for one more image", it will be precisely accurate.
    Last edited by WayneF; 05-07-2016 at 03:57 AM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Re: Observation on memory card storage

    Quote Originally Posted by WayneF View Post
    You made a comment about it that indicated it was a new subject for you, and they are just explaining to answer your puzzlement. You could say "thanks".
    Where did I express puzzlement?

    Instead I got answers like, "Hey, did you know file sizes can vary?" No shit, really? I've been using computers since 1985.

    It was a simple observation I noted and thought I'd share. I wasn't asking for help. I wasn't asking for an explanation. I even said that in the first post.
    Last edited by skater; 05-06-2016 at 08:07 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Challenge Team
    Kevin H's Avatar

    Re: Observation on memory card storage

    Quote Originally Posted by skater View Post
    Where did I express puzzlement?

    Instead I got answers like, "Hey, did you know file sizes can vary?" No shit, really? I've been using computers since 1985.

    It was a simple observation I noted and thought I'd share. I wasn't asking for help. I wasn't asking for an explanation. I even said that in the first post.

    Holy crap dude take a chill pill I hate to see if you put up a pic for Critique
    Last edited by Kevin H; 05-06-2016 at 08:18 PM.
    Thanks/Like Elliot87, Blacktop, crashton, Rog Thanks/liked this post
    Best Answers nickt voted best answer for this post
     
    Nikon D7200
    Nikon D7100 (she's Dead)
    Nikon D5100
    Nikon 300 f4
    Nikon 55-300
    Nikon 18-105
    Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX
    Tamron 90 f2.8 macro
    Sigma 10-20 f3.5
    Sigma 150-500

    My Website





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •