+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    SHAkers718's Avatar

    Re: Is it a good choice - Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by gqtuazon View Post
    Micro four thirds = M 4/3. That's the lens mount for the Panasonic and Olympus cameras which are normally 2x crop sensors.
    "The image sensor of Four Thirds and MFT is commonly referred to as a 4/3" type or 4/3 type sensor (inch-based sizing system is derived from now obsolete video camera tubes). The sensor measures 18 mm × 13.5 mm (22.5 mm diagonal), with an imaging area of 17.3 mm × 13.0 mm (21.6 mm diagonal), comparable to the frame size of 110 film.[4] Its area, ca. 220 mm˛, is approximately 30% less than the APS-C sensors used in other manufacturers' DSLRs, yet is around 9 times larger than the 1/2.5" sensors typically used in compact digital cameras.

    The Four Thirds system uses a 4:3 image aspect ratio, in common with other compact digital cameras but unlike APS-C or full-frame DSLRs which usually adhere to the 3:2 aspect ratio of the traditional 35 mm format. Thus the "Four Thirds" refers to both the size of the image and the aspect ratio of the sensor." -Knaur (October 1, 2002). "Interview". A Digital Eye. Archived from the original on December 5, 2002.

    I think the lens mount is more incidental and a by-product of the MFT sensor format and not what determines if a camera is a micro four thirds camera.


    › See More: Is it a good choice - Mirrorless



  2. #12
    Senior Member
    mikew's Avatar

    Re: Is it a good choice - Mirrorless

    As you know i have the V2 with 10-30 lens,it was the right choice for me as i liked the styling,the size and the fact its relatively inexpensive,it would never replace my DSLR though for as long as i can manage to lug it around.
    The two main advantages i would see for you with mirror-less are discreet/compact and any exposure changes you make you see in camera before you take the picture.

    I have to say though i still think the type of images you take a lot of the time would enjoy FX and i dont suggest that very often.
    Thanks/Like Michael Jaeger, Roy1961, Pretzel, Bill16 Thanks/liked this post
    Best Answers Michael Jaeger, Phillydog1958 voted best answer for this post
     
    Mike

    Nikon D500,Sigma 100-400,Sigma 105 macro

    Nikon 1 V2,FT-1,10-30mm 30-110mm Viltrox extension tubes

    Olympus EM10 MK11,14-42,40-150








  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Michael Jaeger's Avatar

    Re: Is it a good choice - Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    As you know i have the V2 with 10-30 lens,it was the right choice for me as i liked the styling,the size and the fact its relatively inexpensive,it would never replace my DSLR though for as long as i can manage to lug it around.
    The two main advantages i would see for you with mirror-less are discreet/compact and any exposure changes you make you see in camera before you take the picture.

    I have to say though i still think the type of images you take a lot of the time would enjoy FX and i dont suggest that very often.
    THX Mike for your input.
    Thanks/Like mikew Thanks/liked this post
     

    Here I am now: http://cameraswithoutmirrors.com/

    Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II
    Lenses: Olympus 12-50mm f3.5-f6.3, 40-150 MM. F/4.0-5.6, 45mm F1.8, 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6, 17mm f/1.8, 9mm f8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4
    Accessories: Olympus ECG-3 Grip, Hoya UV Filter, Meike Auto Extension Tubes, Peak Design Wrist Strap CF-2, Manfrotto Mini Tripod, Shutter Release Cable RM-UC1, MEIKE MK-320 TTL, FotoPro X4i-E, ND filters 10, 8, 4, and 2 Stops, Close-up Macro Filter Close-up Lens +1 +2 +4 +10

  4. #14
    Joyous Cubs Fan
    Super Mod
    Eduard's Avatar

    Re: Is it a good choice - Mirrorless

    Took it upon myself to add to Glenn's excellent post since this is a Nikon forum:

    Nikon FX big, heavy expensive, best image quality, excellent lens selection, excellent RAW files
    Sony FF light, compact, excellent image quality, limited lens selection, deficient RAW files
    Nikon DX big, moderately heavy, less expensive, very good image quality, sufficient lens selection, excellent RAW files
    Sony APS-C light, compact, inexpensive, somewhat limited lens selection, deficient RAW files
    Fuji big, moderately heavy, less expensive, very good image quality, very good lens selection, problematic RAW files
    m4/3 light, compact, less expensive, very good image quality, excellent lens selection, excellent RAW files
    Nikon CX (Nikon 1 mirrorless), compact, wide price range, good image quality, very good lens selection, very good RAW files, able to use most modern FX/DX lenses with FT-1 adapter, high frame rate (up to 60 fps)

    Quote Originally Posted by siamthai1 View Post
    Many members here got a Mirrorless Camera (MILC)

    What is your "Conclusion" Would you but the same MILC again? Which would you like to have?
    I seriously looked at and discussed the Oly EM-1 as a potential upgrade from a D300. Came close to hitting enter on B&H a couple times. But after spending some time with it, I wound up buying a D800. The glass is definitely there in m4/3 and the bodies are "close" in my opinion. I'm guessing the next major iteration may cause me to look again.

    I would buy into the Nikon 1 system again. It is an excellent supplemental camera. Many advanced features yet non-intimidating enough that I've convinced my wife to use a V2 and 10-100mm lens instead of a point and shoot. Some of the glass is absolutely stellar. The UWA 6.7-13mm is my favorite wide angle on any platform. The 32mm easily rivals the FX 85mm. The birders are all over the 70-300mm as it provides a ~190-810mm FF equivalent at 60 fps. To see someone really maximize the Nikon 1, check out Thomas Stirr.

    Last edited by Eduard; 03-19-2015 at 12:26 PM.
    Thanks/Like Michael Jaeger, Bill16 Thanks/liked this post
    Best Answers Phillydog1958 voted best answer for this post
     
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it" -Ansel Adams


    Fuji X-T2 | Fuji X-T20 | Nikon 1 V3 | Nikon 1 J5 | Too much glass | G.A.S

    Use this link for a free gift item with $50 purchase at Think Tank Photo!!

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    sonicbuffalo's Avatar

    Re: Is it a good choice - Mirrorless

    Just remember that Sony makes a lot of the sensors for other manufacturers including Nikon! Look at some of TedG's pictures in the non-Nikon mirrorless section! He has some terrific pictures!
    Chris
    FLICKR -

    Sony A7 Full Frame Mirrorless / Sony Zeiss 16-35 mm - 4.0/Sony Zeiss 55-1.8/Sony 28-70 mm/Sony 70-200 mm - 4.0
    Nikon D500(Grace Slick) /18-140/
    Tamron 150-600


  6. #16
    Senior Member
    AC016's Avatar

    Re: Is it a good choice - Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by siamthai1 View Post
    Many members here got a Mirrorless Camera (MILC)

    What is your "Conclusion" Would you but the same MILC again? Which would you like to have?

    I am considering buying a new camera (upgrade) but keeping my D5100.

    Some reason why I wanna upgrade: Faster AF, weather sealed, low light performance, handier for a walk around...
    Hi Mike, hopefully i can help here. I looked over your "wants" in regards to an upgrade and there are only a few MILC that will have DSLR like AF. The Sony A6000 and the Fuji X-T1 would be two choices in that department. Low light department? Well, any APS-C sensor today would most likely do better then the one in the D5100. Weather sealing would narrow your choices down of course. Do you want to go FX? If so, why? If you do, the only choice in MILC is Sony.

    Overall, i think your choices would come down to three brands: Fuji, Olympus and Sony. Fuji X-T1, Olympus OM-D and Sony A7 (since you want weather sealed).
    Who dares, wins.

    Cameras: Fuji X-Pro, Fuji X10, Olympus TG3 and Nikon D2X.




  7. #17
    Senior Member
    AC016's Avatar

    Re: Is it a good choice - Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by gqtuazon View Post
    Hello Micheal -


    Fuji big, moderately heavy, less expensive, very good image quality, very good lens selection, problematic RAW files
    Fuji big? Moderately heavy? What Fuji camera are you talking about? Less expensive compared to what? Problematic RAW files? NOT SO. The RAW files from a Fuji are certainly different from what is spit out of a Nikon and that is due to Fuji using the Xtrans sensor. However, as i write this today, they are no longer an "issue" as they were let say a few years ago. You can work on them with no problems within the latest release of Lightroom. Furthermore, there are quite a few other photo editing programs, such as Iridient, that do just fine with the files. Plenty of pros use Fuji and work with the Raw files and are having no issues.
    Who dares, wins.

    Cameras: Fuji X-Pro, Fuji X10, Olympus TG3 and Nikon D2X.




  8. #18
    Senior Member
    AC016's Avatar

    Re: Is it a good choice - Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by everprentice View Post

    Fuji is an APS-c camera. Not a whole lot of lens options yet but is pretty good. Their lenses are a lot heavier than the M43s. For example: Nikon 17-55 2.8 is 26.6oz, Fuji 16-55 2.8 is 23.1 oz and Oly 12-40 2.8 is 13.5 oz. If you get a mirrorless for portability Fuji lenses might not be significantly lighter unless you need an arsenal of lenses.
    Fuji has 15 lenses in it's line up as it stands now. There are others in the pipeline. Not bad for an interchangeable lens system that is a couple of years old. You have: 14mm, 18mm, 23mm, 27mm, 35mm, 56mm, 60mm, 10-24mm, 18-55mm, 16-50mm, 16-55mm, 18-135mm, 50-140mm, 55-200mm, 50-230mm. THree of the lenses are weather sealed. Furthermore, Zeiss and Samyang make lenses for the Fuji mount. On top of this, you can adapt pretty much any lens to a Fuji X mount: Leica, canon, nikon, olympus, etc. In the next year or so, Fuji will add the following lenses: a 16mm, a 90mm, a 120mm and a 100-400mm along with a TC. If 19 lenses do not satisfy you, then you have an problem.

    Obviously, a lens made for APS-C sensors will be larger then a lens for M43.



    Who dares, wins.

    Cameras: Fuji X-Pro, Fuji X10, Olympus TG3 and Nikon D2X.




  9. #19
    Senior Member
    everprentice's Avatar

    Re: Is it a good choice - Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by AC016 View Post
    Fuji has 15 lenses in it's line up as it stands now. There are others in the pipeline. Not bad for an interchangeable lens system that is a couple of years old. You have: 14mm, 18mm, 23mm, 27mm, 35mm, 56mm, 60mm, 10-24mm, 18-55mm, 16-50mm, 16-55mm, 18-135mm, 50-140mm, 55-200mm, 50-230mm. THree of the lenses are weather sealed. Furthermore, Zeiss and Samyang make lenses for the Fuji mount. On top of this, you can adapt pretty much any lens to a Fuji X mount: Leica, canon, nikon, olympus, etc. In the next year or so, Fuji will add the following lenses: a 16mm, a 90mm, a 120mm and a 100-400mm along with a TC. If 19 lenses do not satisfy you, then you have an problem.

    Obviously, a lens made for APS-C sensors will be larger then a lens for M43.

    I see, a Fuji user here.

    My whole post talks about why I didn't jump to mirrorless just yet. I have owned many lenses MF to AF, and different bodies to know what I need and what I want.

    19 lenses are a lot if you purchase them all but focal length and aperture are not the only things to consider when purchasing a lens. MF is fun but only when you have time and an extra hand. Also, the number of lenses are just part of choosing a system. M43 has so much more choices too. What if Nikon comes up with a game changer and I get to use the F-mount for the system?

    Next is weight. The weight of an XT-1 is as close to an A7. If weight is the criterion, I would rather go with the FF A7. There is so much to gain from a 30g difference.

    Again, I am just sharing my own method of thinking here. I also have mentioned I will keep an FX, DX and get a mirrorless in the future. So why would I go with the APS-c Fuji (at this point in time), if I will keep my APS-c pro body?

    The biggest thing I've learned from jumping into the Nikon F system? Once you're down to one system you get no choice but stick with it. Manufacturers catch up with the newest tech. There is no sense jumping into another system when they come up with a better camera or a better lens.
    =============
    Nikon D700 | Nikon D300s x2 | Nikon Coolpix P7000
    AF-s Nikkor 35/1.8G | AF Nikkor 50/1.4G | AF Nikkor 85/1.8D | AF-s Nikkor 17-55/2.8G | AF Nikkor 80-200/2.8D | AF Nikkor 18-200/3.5-5.6 VR | Nikkor 105/2.5 Ai-s
    Nikon SB-600 AF x2 | SB-24 AF

    "We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures that we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open." ~Jawaharlal Nehru

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    AC016's Avatar

    Re: Is it a good choice - Mirrorless

    Quote Originally Posted by everprentice View Post
    I see, a Fuji user here.

    My whole post talks about why I didn't jump to mirrorless just yet. I have owned many lenses MF to AF, and different bodies to know what I need and what I want.

    19 lenses are a lot if you purchase them all but focal length and aperture are not the only things to consider when purchasing a lens. MF is fun but only when you have time and an extra hand. Also, the number of lenses are just part of choosing a system. M43 has so much more choices too. What if Nikon comes up with a game changer and I get to use the F-mount for the system?

    Next is weight. The weight of an XT-1 is as close to an A7. If weight is the criterion, I would rather go with the FF A7. There is so much to gain from a 30g difference.

    Again, I am just sharing my own method of thinking here. I also have mentioned I will keep an FX, DX and get a mirrorless in the future. So why would I go with the APS-c Fuji (at this point in time), if I will keep my APS-c pro body?

    The biggest thing I've learned from jumping into the Nikon F system? Once you're down to one system you get no choice but stick with it. Manufacturers catch up with the newest tech. There is no sense jumping into another system when they come up with a better camera or a better lens.
    I used Nikon before switching to Fuji some years ago. For me, an important aspect about this site, is having the correct information on it. Saying Fuji does not have "... a whole lot of lens options..." is not correct, hence me listing the lenses and future lenses. I would have done the same for any other brand if it were the case.
    Who dares, wins.

    Cameras: Fuji X-Pro, Fuji X10, Olympus TG3 and Nikon D2X.








Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •