+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Challenge Team
    cwgrizz's Avatar

    Technique Suggestions

    Playing with Macro using 100mm macro lens. The scenario is that I want to focus stack some shots of say a very small flower. I want the flash to provide the total lighting so the camera is set so that the exposure without the flash is black. I have been increasing the ISO to see well enough to manually focus in live view, then move the ISO back down and take a shot. Then do it all again only focusing on deeper into the flower, etc. It is tedious and I'm not getting the results I'm looking for using the manual focus in live view. Short of rails etc. does anyone have any tricks or suggestions? Maybe figuring out how much to turn the focus ring for each increment and marking with tape or something. TIA As a side note, part of my problem may be that I lost a contact and the replacement I am using until I can get into an eye doc is scratched and not the correct prescription.


    › See More: Technique Suggestions
    Walt

    D750; D7100; D5300;
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G II VR; AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED; AF-S 85mm f1.8; Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (IF) DX II; 200-500mm f5.6E ED VR; AF-S VR 24-120mm f/4G ED; TC14E II





  2. #2
    Senior Member
    FredKingston's Avatar

    Re: Technique Suggestions

    Here's a thought... Shoot and stack like you would normally and then change the background in post using something like Topaz's Masking program...
    Thanks/Like cwgrizz Thanks/liked this post
     

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Re: Technique Suggestions

    @cwgrizz
    First, focus on the closest part you want sharp in the shot and make a mental note of the distance window. Next do the same for the furthest part you want sharp and make another note. divide the difference by the number of shots you would like in your stack and try to turn the ring equally that many times for each shot. If its a 10 stack, itll get moved equally 10 times between your marks, 50 times for a 50 stack. Hope this helps.
    Thanks/Like cwgrizz Thanks/liked this post
     
    Camera- D800, D7500, D40x
    Zoom Lenses-
    DX- Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Sigma A 18-35 f1.8, Nikon 18-140 f3.5-5.6
    FX- Tamron 15-30 f2.8, Nikon 35-70 f2.8, Nikon 80-200 f2.8, Nikon 24-120 f4, Nikon AF-P 70-300 f4.5-5.6 Sigma C 150-600 f5-6.3
    Prime Lenses- Nikon 50 f1.8g, Tamron 85 f1.8, Tokina 100 f2.8, Rokinon HD 8 f3.5

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Challenge Team
    cwgrizz's Avatar

    Re: Technique Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by FredKingston View Post
    Here's a thought... Shoot and stack like you would normally and then change the background in post using something like Topaz's Masking program...
    Fred, that would work if the lighting was good enough for the shot, but when I have to increase the ISO to 6400 or more to get the shot (or see to focus), that is where the problem comes in and flash is required. Thsnkd
    Walt

    D750; D7100; D5300;
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G II VR; AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED; AF-S 85mm f1.8; Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (IF) DX II; 200-500mm f5.6E ED VR; AF-S VR 24-120mm f/4G ED; TC14E II



  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Challenge Team
    cwgrizz's Avatar

    Re: Technique Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedThrottle View Post
    @cwgrizz
    First, focus on the closest part you want sharp in the shot and make a mental note of the distance window. Next do the same for the furthest part you want sharp and make another note. divide the difference by the number of shots you would like in your stack and try to turn the ring equally that many times for each shot. If its a 10 stack, itll get moved equally 10 times between your marks, 50 times for a 50 stack. Hope this helps.
    This is a good idea that I had not considered. I had thought along those lines using tape on the focus ring to mark, but spaced out using the two extremes (closest and farthest points) as starting points. I'll have to give this a try. with bugs I'll have to work fast. Ha!
    Thanks/Like TwistedThrottle Thanks/liked this post
     
    Walt

    D750; D7100; D5300;
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G II VR; AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED; AF-S 85mm f1.8; Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (IF) DX II; 200-500mm f5.6E ED VR; AF-S VR 24-120mm f/4G ED; TC14E II



  6. #6
    Senior Member
    FredKingston's Avatar

    Re: Technique Suggestions

    The flash is no hinderance... You want the subject in focus and properly lit... You don't care what the background is because you're gonna replace it with a black or any other color fill...It gives you more control because you're only concerned about the subject... Think of it as a composition... and you're only concerned about the foreground/subject... and you're creating the background in post.
    Thanks/Like TwistedThrottle, cwgrizz Thanks/liked this post
     

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    FredKingston's Avatar

    Re: Technique Suggestions

    You can also get a CamRanger and do focus stacking... CamRanger lets you select the close and far focus points and then it calculates and manages the focusing in between... Look at this week's Contest Juxtaposition... That shot was made using CamRanger and I believe about 40 images stacked... took about 3 minutes...
    Thanks/Like cwgrizz, TwistedThrottle Thanks/liked this post
     

  8. #8
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Technique Suggestions

    I know you said no macro rails, but this is one that several Nikonites have used.

    https://www.amazon.com/Cowboystudio-...0265386&sr=8-2

    Have you considered a ring light? I don't use one myself. but they are specifically for macro photography. Stop down far enough to get your flower in focus and use a flash.
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and My 2020 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Challenge Team
    cwgrizz's Avatar

    Re: Technique Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    I know you said no macro rails, but this is one that several Nikonites have used.

    https://www.amazon.com/Cowboystudio-...0265386&sr=8-2

    Have you considered a ring light? I don't use one myself. but they are specifically for macro photography. Stop down far enough to get your flower in focus and use a flash.

    I have looked at the rails in the past when it was discussed and this one was posted. I am trying to get by for now without it. Ha! As for the flash, I am using a Yongnuo with a small softbox modifier attached on the camera. Lighting has not been the problem per se, just the focusing in the dark. Ha!
    Walt

    D750; D7100; D5300;
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G II VR; AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED; AF-S 85mm f1.8; Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (IF) DX II; 200-500mm f5.6E ED VR; AF-S VR 24-120mm f/4G ED; TC14E II



  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Challenge Team
    cwgrizz's Avatar

    Re: Technique Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by FredKingston View Post
    You can also get a CamRanger and do focus stacking... CamRanger lets you select the close and far focus points and then it calculates and manages the focusing in between... Look at this week's Contest Juxtaposition... That shot was made using CamRanger and I believe about 40 images stacked... took about 3 minutes...
    Thanks Fred, I'll have to take a look at CamRanger as well as what Cindy suggested with the rails. I now am wondering if I can do the same with my ON1 software as it has tethering capabilities even though I haven't used it yet. I have actually tried to avoid tying myself to the computer. In early Aug. I am having shoulder surgery and will lose the use of my right arm for about 6 weeks or so. It might be a good time to play with Macro using the computer tethered to the camera. Ha!
    Walt

    D750; D7100; D5300;
    18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G II VR; AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED; AF-S 85mm f1.8; Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (IF) DX II; 200-500mm f5.6E ED VR; AF-S VR 24-120mm f/4G ED; TC14E II







Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •