+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Anyone using a telephoto?

    Im currently using the stock 18-55 non VR with a set of Polaroid extension tubes and the Polaroid set of four diopters x1,2,4,10 basically I'm curious to know if anyone is using Telephoto lenses what is it and to what effect it's having?

    I know I have another thread going in the General Photography Section but this is just aimed at the Macro side of things.


    › See More: Anyone using a telephoto?



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    J-see's Avatar

    Re: Anyone using a telephoto?

    I am currently using the 70-300mm VR combined with a B+W diopter and the results are reasonable ok for this sort of improvised macro. It shortens my minimal focus distance dramatically and provides plenty magnification.
    Thanks/Like SkvLTD Thanks/liked this post
     

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    480sparky's Avatar

    Re: Anyone using a telephoto?

    A tele can certainly be used, especially if it can focus close enough. Using diopter lenses and ext. tubes with it can allow for closer focus. However, the downside is a narrow DOF.

    Some of my first macro work was with a 70-300 and extension tubes.
    Don't mind me... I'm out roaming around somewhere between Zone III and VII.


    Go forth and actuate!


    My Website.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    J-see's Avatar

    Re: Anyone using a telephoto?

    DOF is indeed a problem and the diopter not only magnifies the subject but also every weakness of the lens. A +4 diopter in the 300mm range makes sharpness balance at the edge of tolerable. With some effort, luck and good conditions you can still get not too shabby pictures. When handheld and without flash you do need to push the camera into the reds.

  5. #5
    Junior Member

    Re: Anyone using a telephoto?

    Well I'm certainly looking forwards to playing around with one on wednesday UPS allowing having a Telephoto at the beach would have been a lot more rewarding I will be investing in an dedicated Macro when the pig has enough in it

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    aroy's Avatar

    Re: Anyone using a telephoto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatterstatic View Post
    Im currently using the stock 18-55 non VR with a set of Polaroid extension tubes and the Polaroid set of four diopters x1,2,4,10 basically I'm curious to know if anyone is using Telephoto lenses what is it and to what effect it's having?

    I know I have another thread going in the General Photography Section but this is just aimed at the Macro side of things.
    How good are the Polaroid extension tubes? Here they are much cheaper compared to Kenko. If they are sturdy and can AF with AF lenses then I am thinking of getting them instead of the Kenko set.
    D300, D3300
    105F2.8 AIS, 70-300 G, 50F1.8 AF, 16-85G ED VR, 18-55DX VRII, AFS DX 35mm F1.8
    2 x SB-800

  7. #7
    Junior Member

    Re: Anyone using a telephoto?

    Quote Originally Posted by aroy View Post
    How good are the Polaroid extension tubes? Here they are much cheaper compared to Kenko. If they are sturdy and can AF with AF lenses then I am thinking of getting them instead of the Kenko set.
    They are fine sturdy electrics all ok, I initially had an issue where the 12 and 20 mm wouldn't lock into position as they would catch on that depressible thingy that is on the outside of the lens near the aperture control doofer. depressing it solved the issue and they lock into place. There are quite a few of these tubes that look identical although the Polaroid ones have metal mounts top and bottom which make them feel quite sturdy.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    aroy's Avatar

    Re: Anyone using a telephoto?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chatterstatic View Post
    They are fine sturdy electrics all ok, I initially had an issue where the 12 and 20 mm wouldn't lock into position as they would catch on that depressible thingy that is on the outside of the lens near the aperture control doofer. depressing it solved the issue and they lock into place. There are quite a few of these tubes that look identical although the Polaroid ones have metal mounts top and bottom which make them feel quite sturdy.
    Thanks. I will get the Polaroid tubes then. That will save me quite some money.
    D300, D3300
    105F2.8 AIS, 70-300 G, 50F1.8 AF, 16-85G ED VR, 18-55DX VRII, AFS DX 35mm F1.8
    2 x SB-800

  9. #9
    Junior Member

    Re: Anyone using a telephoto?

    Imho it's a good starting point pick up some of the diopters as well

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    J-see's Avatar

    Re: Anyone using a telephoto?

    I did some quick testing to see the true effects of the +4 diopter on the quality and magnification of the 70-300mm.

    I didn't use a tripod or flash even when it wasn't the best of light since I wanted to create about the same conditions I experience when shooting handheld. I had to rotate some images which implies a part might be cut but I measured the originals.

    These are the results (D3300 sensor is 23.5mm):

    @70mm
    Anyone using a telephoto?-001.jpg
    66mm = 1:2.8

    @100mm
    Anyone using a telephoto?-002_01.jpg
    46mm = 1:2

    @135mm
    Anyone using a telephoto?-003_01.jpg
    35mm = 1:1.49

    @210mm
    Anyone using a telephoto?-004.jpg
    22mm = 1.07:1

    @300mm
    Anyone using a telephoto?-007.jpg
    16mm = 1.46:1

    It's quite obvious how quality and sharpness quickly degrades the more you go to the 300mm.

    PS: I got no idea why the attachments show instead of the images. Ah well...
    Last edited by J-see; 09-11-2014 at 11:00 AM.





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •