+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Junior Member

    The Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm Confusion

    Hi Folks,

    Hoping somebody out there can help me out with a bit with my research on the Tokina at-x pro 28-70mm.

    So far I have learnt that there are several types of this lens available, however I am only interested in one or two of them.

    The one I'd like is the Tokina ATX-Pro Angenieux Type 28-70mm F/2.6-2.8 [version 1 or 2].

    Finding the F/2.6-2.8 versions are proving to be a bit allusive. To add to my frustration I see alot of F/2.8 versions on eBay
    originating from Japan. These F/2.8 versions look identical to the two I am searching for but are never really advertised as
    the Angenieux types.

    I was wondering if any of you have had experience with the F/2.8 version or weather or not these are just the Jamanese Angenieux
    types lenses.

    Hope that makes sense

    Thanks.

    Craig.


    › See More: The Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm Confusion



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Bikerbrent's Avatar

    Re: The Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm Confusion

    Welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride.
    We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

    I have one of the Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm F2.6-2.8 lenses left over from my film days, and have found this is one great lens. And NO it is NOT for sale.
    Thanks/Like Tami Jo, craig-uk Thanks/liked this post
     
    Brent: Poway, CA
    D7200, D200, F100
    Tokina 12-24mm
    Nikon 18-200mm
    Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8
    Nikon 80-200mm f2.8
    Sigma 150-600mm
    Nikon 50 AF f1.8
    Tokina 100mm f2.8 Macro
    Nikon SB800

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Tami Jo's Avatar

    Re: The Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm Confusion

    Love the Tokina Lens, good luck finding one! You might be able to find a good one, not everyone understands that the older legacy type lenses
    still porduce great results on the current dslr's.
    Thanks/Like craig-uk Thanks/liked this post
     
    TJ
    “You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams

    Nikon D750, Grip MB-D16
    Nikon D7000
    AF NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8D;
    AF-S NIKKOR 70-200 2.8 G ED VR Ii
    AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G;
    AF Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D;
    AF NIKKOR 70-200 f/4
    Tokina AT-X 28-70mm f/2.8 AF
    Zoom-Nikkor 35-70mm f/3.3-4.5;
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR;
    AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR;
    Nikon SB-700 Speedlight

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Call_me_Tom's Avatar

    Re: The Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm Confusion

    What is the Angenieux version and what makes it special?

    I’ve owned the first generation of the Tokina 28-70/2.8 and it’s a good lens. I never used it on film but on digital I found it light compact and sharp.

    I purchased mine from Japan through eBay.

    Unfortunately, I borked mine when I was disassembling it and lost some of the screws. I ended up giving the lens to a former coworker to toy with. I wouldn’t mind picking up another one in the future, my N24-70/2.8G gets heavy on long walks.
    Thanks/Like craig-uk Thanks/liked this post
     
    Nikon: D700 • MB-D10 Battery Grip • SB-600 Speedlight
    Nikkor: 24-70/2.8G • 24-120/4G • 28-105/3.5-5.6D • 50/1.8D • 70-200/2.8G • 70-300/4.5-5.6G
    B+W: 77/007M XS-Pro Clear Nano • 77/
    010M UV • 67/010M UV • 62/007M Clear • 52/007M Clear
    Aokatec: AK-G1s GPS

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: The Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm Confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by craig-uk View Post
    Hi Folks,

    Hoping somebody out there can help me out with a bit with my research on the Tokina at-x pro 28-70mm.

    So far I have learnt that there are several types of this lens available, however I am only interested in one or two of them.

    The one I'd like is the Tokina ATX-Pro Angenieux Type 28-70mm F/2.6-2.8 [version 1 or 2].

    Finding the F/2.6-2.8 versions are proving to be a bit allusive. To add to my frustration I see alot of F/2.8 versions on eBay
    originating from Japan. These F/2.8 versions look identical to the two I am searching for but are never really advertised as
    the Angenieux types.

    I was wondering if any of you have had experience with the F/2.8 version or weather or not these are just the Jamanese Angenieux
    types lenses.

    Hope that makes sense

    Thanks.

    Craig.
    I wish you luck on your search, there are numerous versions of the Tok' 28-70mm; some good, some not so good. Of course original Angenieux variants are very highly sought-after and therefore the most difficult to find.

    This site should help you pin down whether or not that ebay listing is selling the version you're looking for: Tokina AT-X PRO AF 28-70mm
    Thanks/Like craig-uk Thanks/liked this post
     
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D750 (OLPF Removed), MB-D10; Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  6. #6
    Junior Member

    Re: The Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm Confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbrent View Post
    Welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride.
    We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

    I have one of the Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm F2.6-2.8 lenses left over from my film days, and have found this is one great lens. And NO it is NOT for sale.
    Thanks for your reply Bikerbrent.. Thats a pitty you wont part with your awesome lens :P The search continues! I'll certainly be posting some of my work in due time.

  7. #7
    Junior Member

    Re: The Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm Confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by Tami Jo View Post
    Love the Tokina Lens, good luck finding one! You might be able to find a good one, not everyone understands that the older legacy type lenses
    still porduce great results on the current dslr's.
    Yes I cant wait to find the right one. The do say good things come to those who wait
    Thanks/Like Tami Jo Thanks/liked this post
     

  8. #8
    Junior Member

    Re: The Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm Confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    What is the Angenieux version and what makes it special?

    I’ve owned the first generation of the Tokina 28-70/2.8 and it’s a good lens. I never used it on film but on digital I found it light compact and sharp.

    I purchased mine from Japan through eBay.

    Unfortunately, I borked mine when I was disassembling it and lost some of the screws. I ended up giving the lens to a former coworker to toy with. I wouldn’t mind picking up another one in the future, my N24-70/2.8G gets heavy on long walks.
    Tom, Theres a few versions out there and I am a little confused as to which version has the Angenieux heritage. You have the F/2.8 version, which according to my research was for the Japanese market. These seem to be the ones that are most available as apposed to the F2.6-2.8 versions (which I know for sure have the Angenieux link).

    Angenieux made high qaulity lenses back in the film days. They teamed up with Tokina at some point I think it was to help them develop an AF system. Legend has it that after Angenieux was bought by another company they dedicated their time to making lenses for movie cameras and lenses for military use. It was then Tokina created these cult lenses using the Angenieux system. I might be wrong on the final points but thats the general jist.

    How was the weight of your 28-70mm compaired to your N24-70?

  9. #9
    Junior Member

    Re: The Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm Confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
    I wish you luck on your search, there are numerous versions of the Tok' 28-70mm; some good, some not so good. Of course original Angenieux variants are very highly sought-after and therefore the most difficult to find.

    This site should help you pin down whether or not that ebay listing is selling the version you're looking for:Link removed
    Thanks for your reply, great link btw.. I have read the John Caz blog regarding this lens. However it never really gave me the definitive answer I am looking for, just made the confusion worse. For example, he only links the Angenieux version to the 2.6-2.8 lenses. But when I trawl the 2.8 versions on ebay they look totally identical to the 2.6-2.8's in every way, even on the v1 lenses they have the weird screw on hood.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Call_me_Tom's Avatar

    Re: The Tokina ATX-Pro 28-70mm Confusion

    Quote Originally Posted by craig-uk View Post
    Tom, Theres a few versions out there and I am a little confused as to which version has the Angenieux heritage. You have the F/2.8 version, which according to my research was for the Japanese market. These seem to be the ones that are most available as apposed to the F2.6-2.8 versions (which I know for sure have the Angenieux link).

    Angenieux made high qaulity lenses back in the film days. They teamed up with Tokina at some point I think it was to help them develop an AF system. Legend has it that after Angenieux was bought by another company they dedicated their time to making lenses for movie cameras and lenses for military use. It was then Tokina created these cult lenses using the Angenieux system. I might be wrong on the final points but thats the general jist.

    How was the weight of your 28-70mm compaired to your N24-70?
    Thank you for the information on the Angenieux version, now I want to find one!

    In comparison, the N24-70/2.8G is a brick. The N24-70/2.8G is close to the same size as my AFS70-300/4.5-5.6 and the weight feels equal to my D700. The Tokina 28-70/2.8 was all metal but felt, weight wise, equal to my old N16-85/3.5-4.5 and it was smaller than that lens.
    Nikon: D700 • MB-D10 Battery Grip • SB-600 Speedlight
    Nikkor: 24-70/2.8G • 24-120/4G • 28-105/3.5-5.6D • 50/1.8D • 70-200/2.8G • 70-300/4.5-5.6G
    B+W: 77/007M XS-Pro Clear Nano • 77/
    010M UV • 67/010M UV • 62/007M Clear • 52/007M Clear
    Aokatec: AK-G1s GPS





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •