+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: Question regarding the Sigma and Tamron 100-400mm lenses on the D850 and D500

    Pretty sure @wev has this lens... He's certainly a "birder".


    › See More: Question regarding the Sigma and Tamron 100-400mm lenses on the D850 and D500
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D750 (OLPF Removed), MB-D10; Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●



  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Woodyg3's Avatar

    Re: Question regarding the Sigma and Tamron 100-400mm lenses on the D850 and D500

    Sorry I can''t help. I have never had any issues with my Tammy 150-600 G1 or 100-400. Both use all 153 focus points on the D500 throughout the full focal length range. This has been the case even in pretty dark situations.
    Woody Green

    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose

    D500, D7200, D7100, D70

  3. #13
    Junior Member

    Re: Question regarding the Sigma and Tamron 100-400mm lenses on the D850 and D500

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodyg3 View Post
    Sorry I can''t help. I have never had any issues with my Tammy 150-600 G1 or 100-400. Both use all 153 focus points on the D500 throughout the full focal length range. This has been the case even in pretty dark situations.
    That’s interesting, maybe it’s my lens then. What focus mode do you use? I use AF-C with single point and if I’m at 520mm+ and select any focus point outside the 37 I posted such as an extreme corner it refuses to focus. That has been the same on one D500 and two D850’s :-/ I spoke to several other people at the time I had my D500 and they said they had the same issue with the Sigma 150-600mm on the D500 too. You can physically select the outer AF points but they just refuse to focus.

    I think I’m just going to have to buy the 100-400mm and hope for the best. Unfortunately I’m not blessed with camera shops near me to be able to go and try stuff out, and the only one anywhere close ish to me hasn’t hit the Tamron 100-400mm or has an ETA when they will.
    Last edited by snerkler; 05-27-2018 at 08:59 AM.

  4. #14
    Junior Member

    Re: Question regarding the Sigma and Tamron 100-400mm lenses on the D850 and D500

    I've just 'spoken' to a gent on Flickr who has the Tamron 100-400mm and he's advised me that if you use single point AF then the outer points don't work past 320mm which suggests the 100-400mm suffers the same fate as the 150-600mm which is disappointing. It would appear that Nikon have strictly limited the new AF system to f5.6 and won't let the f6.3 lenses work. Whether this is deliberate so that you buy Nikon lenses, or a limitation of the wider AF spread I don't know.

  5. #15
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Question regarding the Sigma and Tamron 100-400mm lenses on the D850 and D500

    Quote Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
    I've just 'spoken' to a gent on Flickr who has the Tamron 100-400mm and he's advised me that if you use single point AF then the outer points don't work past 320mm which suggests the 100-400mm suffers the same fate as the 150-600mm which is disappointing. It would appear that Nikon have strictly limited the new AF system to f5.6 and won't let the f6.3 lenses work. Whether this is deliberate so that you buy Nikon lenses, or a limitation of the wider AF spread I don't know.
    I haven't played around too much with the different types of points, but isn't there a way to choose whether to use all the points or a select lower number? Would that have anything to do with the limitations?
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and
    My 2018 Thread
    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  6. #16
    Junior Member

    Re: Question regarding the Sigma and Tamron 100-400mm lenses on the D850 and D500

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    I haven't played around too much with the different types of points, but isn't there a way to choose whether to use all the points or a select lower number? Would that have anything to do with the limitations?
    Thanks for the reply. No, single point itself will not cause limitations. Obviously with single point you can move the AF selector to any one of the selectable AF points. If you select say the top left corner point and it doesn’t work (like in the scenario I posted) then that AF point won’t work/be selected in other focus modes. For example whilst you might be able to select d153 it won’t use all the 153 points.

  7. #17
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Question regarding the Sigma and Tamron 100-400mm lenses on the D850 and D500

    Quote Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
    Thanks for the reply. No, single point itself will not cause limitations. Obviously with single point you can move the AF selector to any one of the selectable AF points. If you select say the top left corner point and it doesn’t work (like in the scenario I posted) then that AF point won’t work/be selected in other focus modes. For example whilst you might be able to select d153 it won’t use all the 153 points.
    I'm sorry but I don't think I explained my question well enough. I know single point by itself doesn't have limitations. Is there a setting where you get to choose how many points you want to use? Isn't there something about using all of the points that are available or choosing to use a smaller group of points? Does anyone know?
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and
    My 2018 Thread
    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  8. #18
    Junior Member

    Re: Question regarding the Sigma and Tamron 100-400mm lenses on the D850 and D500

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't think I explained my question well enough. I know single point by itself doesn't have limitations. Is there a setting where you get to choose how many points you want to use? Isn't there something about using all of the points that are available or choosing to use a smaller group of points? Does anyone know?
    Ahh sorry, I see what you mean now. Whilst there are 153 AF points you can actually only select 55 (marked by squares), the others lie between these points (marked by dots) and are used by the tracking AF modes (dynamic, 3D etc).

    As you rightly say though whilst the user can only select one of 55 points you can restrict this further and just have 15 points available for selection. I always have the max number of AF points available, ie 55 selectable points.

  9. #19
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: Question regarding the Sigma and Tamron 100-400mm lenses on the D850 and D500

    Quote Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
    Ahh sorry, I see what you mean now. Whilst there are 153 AF points you can actually only select 55 (marked by squares), the others lie between these points (marked by dots) and are used by the tracking AF modes (dynamic, 3D etc).

    As you rightly say though whilst the user can only select one of 55 points you can restrict this further and just have 15 points available for selection. I always have the max number of AF points available, ie 55 selectable points.
    That must be what I'm thinking of. What I don't understand is why Woody, who has used the Tamron mounted on a D500, hasn't experienced the problem. It does seem like a setting somewhere. Anyway...good luck. I hope you find a lens that will meet your expectations!
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and
    My 2018 Thread
    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  10. #20
    Junior Member

    Re: Question regarding the Sigma and Tamron 100-400mm lenses on the D850 and D500

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    That must be what I'm thinking of. What I don't understand is why Woody, who has used the Tamron mounted on a D500, hasn't experienced the problem. It does seem like a setting somewhere. Anyway...good luck. I hope you find a lens that will meet your expectations!
    Maybe he hasn't tried single point AF. I know when I was asking other users about the Tamron 150-600mm several said they had not experienced the issue and that there's worked fine, allowing them to use d153 etc. However, when I asked them to use single point AF and move it to one of the extreme corners they then confirmed that they experienced the same issue as myself in that it would let you choose the focus point, but past around 500-520mm it just refused to focus, it would hunt and then give up. I've not spoken to one Tamron 150-600mm user (or sigma 150-600mm user) who's extreme corner AF points work in single point AF at 600mm so I would be interested to know if Woody's tried this tbh as it could then point to firmware if his is a newer lens.

    It's definitely not a setting imo, I believe it's a case that they're f6.3 lenses and therefore the AF points that actually work become limited due to this. The only confusing thing for me is why it's only this new 153 point system that seems to limit the AF points that work at f6.3, you'd think a newer system would be better. What would also be better/less confusing (imo) is if they designed the cameras so that you just couldn't select the points that don't work past a given max aperture.
    Last edited by snerkler; 05-28-2018 at 08:37 AM.





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •