Uploading pictures from D300s

funkycameras

Nikon D300s is giving problems. I want to upload pictures and after connecting it to my Dell desktop I am facing problems. It says device not found.

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
It sounds like your computer is not installing the correct usb drivers when the camera is connected. Have you tried putting the memory card directly into a usb card reader? This may be an easier method to transfer photos anyway.

x372sailor

If you haven't done this before (direct USB connection), you need to set up USB preference in the camera menu. Look in your menu under "Connecting to a Computer" and determine appropriate USB setting for your operating system. Follow the procedure for "Direct USB Connection". Make sure camera is OFF before connecting USB cable and computer is ON. After cable is connected, turn ON camera. If Mass Storage is selected for USB, PC will be displayed on top panel of camera. This info based on the D300 manual.

Have you downloaded Nikon Transfer?

Current versions of Nikon software

I'm not sure about Windows, but on my Mac, I simply connect the USB port to my camera, turn the camera on, and Nikon Transfer automatically opens up, displays thumbnails of all the images on the card, and waits for me to create a folder where I'll be downloading the files. In addition, you can also set up a secondary back-up location to save the files to at the same time, you can automatically delete the card as you remove the files, and automatically name the master files all in the import session. There's a setting that automatically shuts down Nikon Transfer after the program is finished downloading.

Last edited:

Eduard

Super Mod
Staff member
Super Mod
I prefer to use an external reader. Since you have a D300s, are you using CompactFlash or SD?

sdhofmann

I too am having this problem.

I have had the D5000 for about a year now and the D300s is new. I have never had a problem with uploading photos from the D5000 and this is my first attempt with the D300s.

First I...
restarted my computer
plugged the cord into the USB port
plugged the cord to the camera
turned the camera on
Nikon Transfer automatically starts (as always)
the D300s shows up in the source tab
I clicked on start transfer
And nothing happens!!!

I have double checked all connections - even started from the beginning 3 times.
I can view the photos on the view finder.

HELP!!!

johnwartjr

I find an external card reader is the easiest way to get photos off a camera.

Plug the reader into a USB port
Remove card from camera
Insert card in reader
Done!