iPhone ... or other smart phone for that matter .... Post them Up!

Dangerspouse

Thanks for posting that excellent comparison, Peter. I have to admit, to my eye the difference is stark, and immediately apparent, in favor of the DSLR. Having said that, had I seen the phone picture alone, I would have thought it was an excellent shot. And it actually is, it just suffers in comparison to the D7100 example.

Much appreciated :encouragement:

D'Grump

Went to Ogunquit, Maine on Wednesday and got this shot of an artist working on his composition. Gotta be pretty talented to get all those subtle shades in the rocks. Thought about going down to his level, but I’m OK with keeping my bones intact, so I chickened out. Definitely interesting, watching him do his thing…..

6252209F-D84C-43B9-AF5E-86DEAC78110A.jpg

Last edited:

Wolfsatz

Forgive me, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question.

I don't have a phone (other than my home land line), so I am completely ignorant of their camera's capabilities. Do phone cameras have the same ability to adjust aperture, shutter speed, and ISO as traditional cameras? Can you zoom with them, or are they all fixed focal lengths?

Thanks!

nowadays.. you don't even need a phone to take pictures. lol. i can spend hours shooting cars in Gran Turismo. It has a very powerful photography suit.

To answer your question: most smart phones has some way of adjusting the basic settings; and some of the higher end smartphones will have more amped up suits. But I am a purist.

Examples:
Laguna Sena Last Corner by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

20210303000556 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

20171225165055 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

20180204184831 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Wolfsatz

@Dangerspouse , I have found a pic I took with my iphone 12 (below) and dlsr of the same scene at the same time, just for a comparison. The problem is that both files have been reduced a lot for the purpose of posting on this site, so maybe it's difficult to judge but I still always prefer a dslr. I do think mobiles are good for selfies and close up portraits.

View attachment 363522

DSLR below

View attachment 363523

I think on some settings the I phone 11 and up an take very sharp pictures .

But to even try to compare; in most settings the DSLR or DLR will take better pictures.

However, my I phone takes the convenience and low light settings award.

In some harsh light conditions, the Nikon struggles without a tripod .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter7100

nowadays.. you don't even need a phone to take pictures. lol. i can spend hours shooting cars in Gran Turismo. It has a very powerful photography suit.

To answer your question: most smart phones has some way of adjusting the basic settings; and some of the higher end smartphones will have more amped up suits. But I am a purist.

Examples:
Laguna Sena Last Corner by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

20210303000556 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

20171225165055 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

20180204184831 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Very impressive as without the GT logo they would look realistic.
Must have a look at my ps4 GT to see if mine is compatible for this ;)

Wolfsatz

@Dangerspouse , I have found a pic I took with my iphone 12 (below) and dlsr of the same scene at the same time, just for a comparison. The problem is that both files have been reduced a lot for the purpose of posting on this site, so maybe it's difficult to judge but I still always prefer a dslr. I do think mobiles are good for selfies and close up portraits.

View attachment 363522

DSLR below

View attachment 363523

Here's a comparison where the Iphone 13 kicks the Nikon P900 bootie!

Nikon P900 first
Cloudy Sun Setting by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Iphone 13
BW Cloudy Sun Setting by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Iphone was able to capture much better detail of the clouds pretty much across the entire shot.

2nd one. Shot is limited by the inability of the P900 getting any closer even on the close up setting. These are both taken exactly from the same distance which was about 3.5 to 4 feet away. I could not zoom any closer than this. These two are totally raw and unedited. The I phone could still zoom in quite a bit in without an issue.

DSCN0011 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Untitled by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

I could not get this shot with the Nikon.. pretty much at any distance. Light was about to get scarce and the sun was setting; so I could not zoom as much nor focus properly. A snap with the Iphone

Veggies by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

NOTE: I am not saying the Iphone is better than the Nikon. They are both excellent photographic tools, but it is all relative to the type of setting and the shooting you are trying to do. The I phone struggles with depth sometimes; the shots are totally flat at a medium distance.

Flat Hawk Red Hawk Perched Iphone by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

This is where the P900 kicks the Iphone all day long.
Red Hawk Perched by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

Last edited: