iPhone ... or other smart phone for that matter .... Post them Up!

Dawg Pics

iPhone image: Tiny scorpion under uv light. It was small enough to fit on my thumbnail, but I didn't try to do that.:)

46FE05E5-82EF-498F-9FDE-A43F8F3D617A.jpg

Dangerspouse

Forgive me, I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a question.

I don't have a phone (other than my home land line), so I am completely ignorant of their camera's capabilities. Do phone cameras have the same ability to adjust aperture, shutter speed, and ISO as traditional cameras? Can you zoom with them, or are they all fixed focal lengths?

Thanks!

Peter7100

I don't have a phone (other than my home land line), so I am completely ignorant of their camera's capabilities. Do phone cameras have the same ability to adjust aperture, shutter speed, and ISO as traditional cameras? Can you zoom with them, or are they all fixed focal lengths?

Thanks!

To my knowledge the majority of them have a zooming feature. Many also have panorama capabilities, time lapse and many filter effects.
I am not aware of any that have iso or aperture settings but they may exist.
The quality has improved a lot in recent years but they still can’t match a dslr IMO.

Dangerspouse

To my knowledge the majority of them have a zooming feature. Many also have panorama capabilities, time lapse and many filter effects.
I am not aware of any that have iso or aperture settings but they may exist.
The quality has improved a lot in recent years but they still can’t match a dslr IMO.

Thanks Peter, I appreciate the info!

Dangerspouse

@Dangerspouse The Samsung Galaxy A11 has 3 cameras built into it. The biggest is 13MP but goes down to f1.8. It should be called a computer-camera with some radio capability.:rolleyes:

THREE cameras? Wow. From your comment that one of them is 13MP, is it safe to assume that each lens has its own dedicated sensor? And like I asked before: can you adjust A, S, and ISO on each one, or is that one lens fixed at f/1.8?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
DS, I have an iPhone that uses a touch screen. I put my finger on where I want the lens to focus. By doing that, if my subject is really close to the lens, the background can be thrown out of focus somewhat - but I can't control or override any settings. I'm pretty sure attachments are available for cell phone cameras, but I've never used any.

Needa

Challenge Team

Thanks!

I have a program on my Android phone called Open Camera. It allows the adjustment of many functions like ISO, White balance, ect. Aperture is fixed.

Dawg Pics

THREE cameras? Wow. From your comment that one of them is 13MP, is it safe to assume that each lens has its own dedicated sensor? And like I asked before: can you adjust A, S, and ISO on each one, or is that one lens fixed at f/1.8?
To my knowledge, no. There is no way to change anything like that.
EDIT: Hmmm, I just looked at a video, and the person was adjusting these things, but I think it was an App that was installed. I know my iPhone does not have that capability built into it. I'd have to look in my App Store to see what is available. So, with an App, yes, you can do these things.:D

Last edited:

Catherder

My S20 plus has a pro mode where you can adjust iso from 50-3200, shutter from 30 sec to 1/12000, white balance is adjustable. It can shoot raw. I still prefer my "real" cameras.

BeegRhob

Thanks!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and it has a pro mode that let's you play with Shutter speed, Aperture(2 options), and ISO among other thing. It does take pretty nice pics! Here are specs from Samsung:
Wide-angle camera
  • Super Speed Dual Pixel
  • 12MP AF sensor
    • Sensor size: 1/2.55"
    • Pixel size: 1.4µm
    • Sensor ratio: 4:3
  • FOV: 77˚
  • Dual Aperture: F1.5 mode/ F2.4 mode

Telephoto camera
  • 12MP AF sensor
    • Sensor size: 1/3.6"
    • Pixel size: 1.0µm
    • Sensor ratio: 4:3
  • FOV: 45˚
  • F2.4 aperture

I just use the camera software that came with it. It shoots RAW, jpeg, and RAW+jpeg. They have gotten pretty fancy with phone cameras.

Rob

Peter7100

@Dangerspouse , I have found a pic I took with my iphone 12 (below) and dlsr of the same scene at the same time, just for a comparison. The problem is that both files have been reduced a lot for the purpose of posting on this site, so maybe it's difficult to judge but I still always prefer a dslr. I do think mobiles are good for selfies and close up portraits.

IPHONE12.jpg

DSLR below

Portencross2.jpg

blackstar

Hi, Peter. I heard that iPhone 13's do have new and improved wide-angle and low-light functions for landscape photos. Curious about how the comparison (iPhone 13 vs DSLR) would emerge?

Peter7100

Hi, Peter. I heard that iPhone 13's do have new and improved wide-angle and low-light functions for landscape photos. Curious about how the comparison (iPhone 13 vs DSLR) would emerge?

Maybe someone in the coming months can provide some examples but it won’t be me as I am hoping to get at least a couple of years out of my iPhone 12 before upgrading :D.