Google set to delete inactive accounts

blackstar

Do using Chrome browser or Google Earth, but not checking Gmail still count as active? Or do you have to use all Google apps to stay active?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Do using Chrome browser or Google Earth, but not checking Gmail still count as active? Or do you have to use all Google apps to stay active?
You have to have signed up for a Google account such as Gmail and keep it active. Chrome browser won't qualify. I don't use Google Earth. Do you have to sign into a Google account to access Google Earth?

BF Hammer

I would guess this won't affect many that are legit registered users here. Google does need to dump a bunch of old accounts, and I am responsible for dozens of them indirectly.

End user demands to be able to receive scans by email like the copier says it can do. User cannot give me any details about their email server (WTF is an email server?!?) I create a Gmail account for the scanner to send it's email with a pdf file attached. For whatever reason months or years later the user cannot scan to their email account again. Has no idea why I am asking for the password to their Gmail account they don't have. Oh well, time to create another Gmail account from scratch since resetting the account fails. This may happen 4 times over the life of a copier.

Now multiply that by however many office-equipment dealers there are out there and you may have an idea of how big of a problem Google may have with inactive accounts.

BF Hammer

Oh and don't forget that people do also die and their online accounts don't go away. I had the task of closing the 2 Gmail accounts my brother used after his death last year. I waited about 6 months before doing it. One thing I can say is that don't trust that the cable company or cellphone company will close an account and stop auto-billing just because they have been given proper notice of a death and a request to close. My brother was getting statements sent every month and past due notices in the email. My sister did right by getting all the money out of the bank accounts as fast as possible. Those companies would have sucked the accounts dry if left alone to do it a while.

blackstar

You have to have signed up for a Google account such as Gmail and keep it active. Chrome browser won't qualify. I don't use Google Earth. Do you have to sign into a Google account to access Google Earth?
I have a Gmail account and dozen other non-Google email accounts. My Mail app (Mac) checks all my email accounts (including Gmail) many times daily. Do I keep it active as very few (or nearly zero in a while) emails are received with my Gmail account?

Peter7100

I have a Gmail account and dozen other non-Google email accounts. My Mail app (Mac) checks all my email accounts (including Gmail) many times daily. Do I keep it active as very few (or nearly zero in a while) emails are received with my Gmail account?
Think that might be some type of record :ROFLMAO:

Fred Kingston

You're NOT getting junk mail thru your Gmail account... Every Gmail account in the universe gets junk mail... a lot of junk mail...Every acct. that askes for my email, for whatever reason get analyzed as to why they want my email acct. If there's the slightest suspicion that they're send me marketing junk every day...thet get my Gmail address... I've been using Gmail as a junk filter for over 10 years...

Dawg Pics

Same here. I went for a long time without a bunch of garbage in my Gmail, but now, I am getting loads of scam-spam. I won this prize or my package can't get delivered or they need to verify something. My old Yahoo account was horrible, so I got an ATT account, and when that got full, I started a G-mail account, and now, it is getting spammed. It isn't as bad as my old accounts yet.

Fred Kingston

If you setup good rules, and diligently tag files as junk with better email software for a few weeks, I find that my InBox doesn't get cluttered with Junk and it all gets dumped to the Junk folder as the software starts to learn what's junk or not...... then every few weeks, I just dump the Junk folder...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My guess is if your Gmail is synced with Mac Mail, then you should be okay. Your Mac Mail is still checking the account regularly. Hopefully Google will send out an email ahead of time to let people know.

blackstar

I forgot what I did to my Gmail account now that seldom, almost none any mail (except mail from Google) comes to bother me compared with all my ATT accounts that come with tons of junk, and spam emails daily! That's why I worry a bit that Google may find my account inactive... but once in a while, I did use my Gmail account to log into some websites. I think I may need to keep my Gmail account in all regards.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I forgot what I did to my Gmail account now that seldom, almost none any mail (except mail from Google) comes to bother me compared with all my ATT accounts that come with tons of junk, and spam emails daily! That's why I worry a bit that Google may find my account inactive... but once in a while, I did use my Gmail account to log into some websites. I think I may need to keep my Gmail account in all regards.
Then just send yourself an email using your Gmail account. You can email one of your ATT accounts.

blackstar

Plenty of info here... Sounds like it's pretty easy to retain your acct. with minimal activity NYT Google Info
I clicked the NYT link and it asked me for providing an email account to continue reading... I used my Gmail account as it says: The company (Google) said that anyone with an existing subscription that had been set up with a Google account, such as one linked to a news outlet, would be considered an active user and their account would not be deleted. I think I have done enough this year to keep my Gmail acc active...

Clovishound

So let me get this straight, the NYT is telling you that you must give them your email to read an article that says having a news subscription linked to your gmail acct will keep that account open, otherwise your Google email acct will be deleted.

Sounds pfishy.

Fred Kingston

I'm sorry... I can read the whole article and I can assure you; I have NEVER subscribed to the NYT... Maybe they're trying to convert me by giving me free access???? 🤣

Dawg Pics

@Clovishound No, if you have a Gmail account that you haven't signed into in 2 years, it will be deleted, unless "If you have active subscriptions, such as Google One, a news publication, or an app, Google considers this account activity. This means your account will not be impacted by the updated inactivity policy."