Danno's Z Ramblings for 2022

Danno

Figured I needed a thread started. I have been dragging my feet this year. The moon was handheld with the 2x Z TC.

Clouds-9616.jpg

20220314 2x tests-9364-Edit-2.jpg

Danno

Tried out the tripod tonight. Set it up in the doorway of my deck with a leg going down my ramp and used the 200-500 f5.6 Nikon.

I really liked having a lens at eye level, even though the lens was pitched at about a 60degree angle. I could use the viewfinder or back screen absent any contortions. There were a lot of clouds, but I waited until I could get a halfway clear shot. This tripod is much easier for me to use, and it weighs nothing.

20220413 Moon Photo New Tripod-9899.jpg

Danno

Memorial Day events... Vietnam Veterans Memorial Service - Color Gard. It was the High School ROTC Color Guard, that was doing the honors, but it was about 85 but it feels much hotter on that memorial in the direct sun, but there were some good vets that filled in when a few of the kids faded. No, I did not capture the fade, and everyone was ok.

20220530 Memorial Day-0277.jpg

20220530 Memorial Day-0367.jpg

Danno

I was invited to an event at the Vietnam Memorial in Frankfort, Ky today. There was a communication issue that caused us to miss the event, but we did have the privilege to meet Franco Cottrell, a former POW during the Vietnam war.
Like most men that I have met like him, who have endured great trials, Mr. Cottrell was a gracious man with a good sense of humor.

I also ran into the young man on the right end of the group shot (in the next post), whom I had not seen for many years... He went by Papa Smurf when I saw him last and he road a trike with a 4-cylinder Ford motor. He did not look a day older than when I last saw him some 15 years or more ago.

It was a good day. It is always an honor to meet with men like these that know that freedom comes at a price. It is an honor and a privilege.

20220611 POW_DAY VNMeml-0756.jpg

Last edited:

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thank you for your service Dan. Welcome home!

What years were you in Vietnam? My husband was there in 65-66.

Danno

Thank you for your service Dan. Welcome home!

What years were you in Vietnam? My husband was there in 65-66.

I did not serve Mailynne. I turned 18 in April of 75 as they were evacuating Saigon. I just do my best to honor those who did. They mean a lot to me because they gave so much and received so little. I have a dear friend, he passed last year, that was there in 65-66. He was in the 173 Airborne. His road name was Hook.

Thank your Husband for me.

Danno

Hadn't posted in a while. Haven't been out much. I took this a few weeks ago at a fundraiser for my brother, (chosen, not by blood). Cody had been hit by a car on his bike. He had a fractured skull, both legs, both arms, collar bone, and several ribs. He still is experiencing some swelling in his brain, and yes he was wearing a helmet.

He looks none the worse for wear but he still doesn't know everyone and he struggles with balance. The driver did not see him. It was good to see him out and about. I quit riding and retired from the club years ago because of the strokes, but I visit during events and such. They can be a bit rough around the edges sometimes but they are good ole boys. I have known too many that didn't come out as well as Cody when they tangled with a car. I thank God for his survival. He has 2 kids and a wife that love him, and a mess of folks around Anderson County.

20220806 Cody Run-1262.jpg