D850 File sequence changed when importing from iPhone, WHY?

mfphudson

I have a Nikon D850 and my file sequence has changed and I don't know how to set it back to the sequence where it changed. I don't want to reset it, I want it to continue where it was. I had a video on my iPhone 14 taken at a concert that was about an hour long and as I have already found out, it takes way too long to upload to iCloud and I can't seem to find them if I connect the phone to my PC. I want the original file, so I have this adapter that I can plug into the phone, plug in my SD card from my D850, because I already took photos from the concert too, and just transfer the video file from the phone to the SD card.

Well now my D850 sequence started one up from the damn iPhones sequence. So I know how it happened, not sure why it would do that, but need to get it back to the correct sequence without resetting. I did leave a file on the SD Card that was the last sequence and when I took pictures it stayed with the incorrect phone sequence so that didn't work. I copied the file back onto my SD card, uploaded it to my iPhone, deleted it off the SD card, then went back into the phone and basically downloaded it from the phone just like I had done originally when it F'd up my sequence. Made sense but did not change to that sequence.

Any one else figure out how to get back to your file sequency without a total reset to 0001?

By the way, I have done this many times in the past but I usually just downloaded it to another SD Card from my phone adapter or to the root folder of the D850 Card in use and it never did this. This time I downloaded it into the DCIM folder where the camera saves my files while shooting. So it took on the new sequencing but baffled why I can't just do the same thing to put it back???

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Someone will be along shortly to help you out.

Needa

Challenge Team
I don't have an 850. From the 810 manual d6 file number sequence

Screenshot from 2023-02-27 08-13-13.png

From this it would appear Rest is indeed what you need to do. Just make sure that the folder contains the last image taken. You should verify this is the same with the 850. After, it would need to be change back to On. Is there any posibility that this setting is set to Reset this would explain why it picked up the last file number. As I never tried this, proceed at your own risk.

Last edited:

mfphudson

Thanks for the input but the 850 doesn't have an on or a reset. I can only change the file name but its the camera file name. I have it as DSC which is the default and then the picture will include _0001, etc. I tried playing around with the name, changed then changed back and I have the last file in the folder but it just keeps incrementing to the file number that was wrong, not the one I am trying to put it back too.

Frustrating because I can write the number down on a piece of paper and then erase it and put in a new number in a matter of seconds. Why can I not just enter the file number I want?

Needa

Challenge Team
Thanks for the input but the 850 doesn't have an on or a reset. I can only change the file name but its the camera file name. I have it as DSC which is the default and then the picture will include _0001, etc. I tried playing around with the name, changed then changed back and I have the last file in the folder but it just keeps incrementing to the file number that was wrong, not the one I am trying to put it back too.

Frustrating because I can write the number down on a piece of paper and then erase it and put in a new number in a matter of seconds. Why can I not just enter the file number I want?
From the d850 manual:
Screenshot from 2023-03-01 07-16-13.png

Looks like they changed the location.

mfphudson

I will have to check on this a little more then. I don't have an on or off option or even the reset as its stating and I have searched everywhere. I did notice this line here, "On When a new folder is created, the memory card formatted, or a new memory card inserted in the camera, file numbering continues from the last number used or from the largest file number in the current folder, whichever is higher. " This may be part of the issue since the file that's currently being used as the sequence is higher than the one I am trying to get back to. The SD card was not formatted or new, it was the current SD card for my camera, but the last number used was the one I downloaded. I am thinking if I use another card or format then it would go to 0001. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe I do that so now the number is 0001 and lower than what I want it to be. I can just put the last picture file back in the folder and it may start the next picture from that one.

I'll give it a try and post my results. thanks

mfphudson

OK so here is my update.

I went ahead and formatted my SD Card and took a picture but it kept with the same file number sequence, plus one, that I didn't want and even recreated the older folder number. So I moved the DSC_9999 file number that I renamed into the folder that was created and it ended up creating the next higher folder (A new folder) and the new file number was reset to DSC_0001. That was what I was hoping so I put in the last file number of my sequence that I wanted it to use and deleted the DSC_0001 file and took my picture. Low and behold it went to the next number of my original File number that I had just put into the new folder so I am now back in business.

So I can understand it not taking the lower number sequence as that doesn't make sense but just putting in the highest number, ending in 9999, didn't automatically create the new folder and start sequence of 0001. It created the older folder number and incremented from that file number I didn't want before I had formatted. Not sure why because that's what it did when I transfer the higher sequence file number into my SD card that took over the sequence, it started from that higher number plus 1. Even formatting it didn't automatically take on a reset file number of 0001. It was only after I put the 9999 file number into the older folder number that it reset with a new higher folder number and the reset sequence of 0001. From there I was able to put in a higher file number and that's where it started incrementing from, which is what I wanted it to do all along.

Not a common issue but hope it helps someone else some time.

Bikerbrent

OK so here is my update.

I went ahead and formatted my SD Card and took a picture but it kept with the same file number sequence, plus one, that I didn't want and even recreated the older folder number. So I moved the DSC_9999 file number that I renamed into the folder that was created and it ended up creating the next higher folder (A new folder) and the new file number was reset to DSC_0001. That was what I was hoping so I put in the last file number of my sequence that I wanted it to use and deleted the DSC_0001 file and took my picture. Low and behold it went to the next number of my original File number that I had just put into the new folder so I am now back in business.

So I can understand it not taking the lower number sequence as that doesn't make sense but just putting in the highest number, ending in 9999, didn't automatically create the new folder and start sequence of 0001. It created the older folder number and incremented from that file number I didn't want before I had formatted. Not sure why because that's what it did when I transfer the higher sequence file number into my SD card that took over the sequence, it started from that higher number plus 1. Even formatting it didn't automatically take on a reset file number of 0001. It was only after I put the 9999 file number into the older folder number that it reset with a new higher folder number and the reset sequence of 0001. From there I was able to put in a higher file number and that's where it started incrementing from, which is what I wanted it to do all along.

Not a common issue but hope it helps someone else some time.
Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Someone will be along shortly to help you out.