D50 doesn't always want to take a picture

koen

Hi,

First post here!

I have a D50 with a kit lens and also a 50mm f1/8 lens. The other day I was taking some closeup pics inside of my kids with my 50mm lens, using the 'P' mode, and I noticed that the camera sometimes refuses to take a picture. I find my frame, I focus with the shutter pressed in halfway, but then if I completely press it down, nothing happens. No click, no picture, nothing. First I thought it was too dark (actually there was plenty of light in the room), so I increased the ISO, but I still got the same problem. Then I tried the Auto mode, with the flash turned on, but still the same.

Does anyone know what could be going on? Is my camera defect, is there another setting that is preventing the camera from taking pictures?

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Difficult for me to say for sure since I don't have the D50, but it could be a focus related problem. You mention that you were trying to do a close-up. Now there is a menu item that could prevent the shutter to be activated when the focus is NOT confirmed by the system. See your manual and make sure that that option is not activated.
Keep us informed if this worked.

koen

Thanks for your reply. I also thought about the out of focus preventing this. I'll check my manual and see if I can find the setting you are referring to.

koen

I think the card is in there fine, since I was able to take several pictures, but not all the time. I did some more research and it looks like it has to do with the focus or lack there of. Time to pull out the manual again tonight.

fotojack

I would tend to think it's a focus issue. If the camera can't focus, it will not allow you to take a picture.

Also........could you explain this, please? ----> " The other day I was taking some closeup pics inside of my kids...." Sounds kinda weird to me. :)

koen

I playing with manual focus now. What I have not discovered yet if there is an indication on my D50 that lets me know the object is in focus. I have no idea what it should be called, so cannot look it up in the manual :)

silvertip

That is the "in focus" indicator. pg 5, 17, 35 in the manual. It is located in the view finder in the lower left hand corner under the battery strength indicator. The indicator lights up when the subject is in focus.

Last edited by a moderator: