+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Texas's Avatar

    Re: 35mm film negatives to digital ?

    A friend of mine has the expensive Nikon scanner and has offered to scan some of my leftovers. I won't do that to him.


    › See More: 35mm film negatives to digital ?
    D750, D90, D100, Nikon 1 J5
    (Once owned: EL, F2AS, D50, D200, D300s, and D7100)



  2. #12
    Happy to be Canadian
    Super Mod
    Marcel's Avatar

    Re: 35mm film negatives to digital ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpatch View Post
    As a sidenote, I think the ES-1 requires an FX body to work as advertised. I think I once figured out that DX cameras would require tubes.

    I've messed around with some of the home-brew methods and got fair results, but the setup time was extensive and the adjustments required more patience than I possess. This digitized image is from one of my Kodachromes, taken with my D5100 using natural light behind the slide through a window. The slide is razor sharp, but I couldn't get the digitized image to be as sharp no matter how hard I tried. In view of my volume of slides, I'm headed toward a scanner, either the Epson V600 or V800.
    Regarding sharpness, did you use the mirror up mode? I suspect that your shutter speed was a bit low and your aperture to big. I try a few with higher iso, smaller aperture and mirror up mode with a delay. Also, make certain you take the picture with the emulsion facing the lens, otherwise you'd be shooting through the film's backing causing diffraction and loss of sharpness.
    Thanks/Like Ironwood, Sandpatch Thanks/liked this post
     
    I'm beginning to see the LIGHT!
    Please visit my Gallery and my Flickr Gallery

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Ironwood's Avatar

    Re: 35mm film negatives to digital ?

    35mm film negatives to digital ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpatch View Post
    As a sidenote, I think the ES-1 requires an FX body to work as advertised. I think I once figured out that DX cameras would require tubes.

    I've messed around with some of the home-brew methods and got fair results, but the setup time was extensive and the adjustments required more patience than I possess. This digitized image is from one of my Kodachromes, taken with my D5100 using natural light behind the slide through a window. The slide is razor sharp, but I couldn't get the digitized image to be as sharp no matter how hard I tried. In view of my volume of slides, I'm headed toward a scanner, either the Epson V600 or V800.

    Attachment 304194
    Hi Sandpatch, I have also read where Dx camera needs a extension tube to copy the entire image when using the ES1.
    I have 100 images that I want to convert to digital, then would never use it again.
    I am going to see if my local camera store does this, I know that they copy photos into digital files for a fee.

    I have tried a couple using my iPad with a white screen for a backlight, D7100 and 55mm macro lens on a tripod. The results were not as good as I had hoped for. After reading Marcelís post about making sure the film is up the right way, has me wondering if I had them wrong way up.

    Check the exif on that photo, are you sure you used your D5100 ?
    Thanks/Like Sandpatch Thanks/liked this post
     
    Brad


    Every Day might not be a good Day,
    ​ but there is something good in every Day.

  4. #14
    Staff
    Super Mod
    hark's Avatar

    Re: 35mm film negatives to digital ?

    I have an Epson slide/negative scanner. It came with a holder for the negatives. One of the problems is the negatives tend to curl a little horizontally down the middle of each strip even when they are inserted into the holder. So if you were going to take photos with a camera/lens, the curvature might have posed a problem for you. I hope having the camera store scan them will work out for you--if they do it.
    Thanks/Like Sandpatch Thanks/liked this post
     
    Cindy
    Flickr
    and My 2019 Thread

    Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art
    -- Leonardo da Vinci



  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Ironwood's Avatar

    Re: 35mm film negatives to digital ?

    Quote Originally Posted by hark View Post
    I have an Epson slide/negative scanner. It came with a holder for the negatives. One of the problems is the negatives tend to curl a little horizontally down the middle of each strip even when they are inserted into the holder. So if you were going to take photos with a camera/lens, the curvature might have posed a problem for you. I hope having the camera store scan them will work out for you--if they do it.
    Hi Cindy, yes the negatives do have natural curve in them, I made a holder out of black perspex that holds the neg and takes some/most of the curve out, and I used f16 when I took them, that should have given me enough dof , the focus pane would have been maybe 2mm thick, so should have allowed for a bit of curvature.
    Brad


    Every Day might not be a good Day,
    ​ but there is something good in every Day.

  6. #16
    Happy to be Canadian
    Super Mod
    Marcel's Avatar

    Re: 35mm film negatives to digital ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    Hi Cindy, yes the negatives do have natural curve in them, I made a holder out of black perspex that holds the neg and takes some/most of the curve out, and I used f16 when I took them, that should have given me enough dof , the focus pane would have been maybe 2mm thick, so should have allowed for a bit of curvature.
    Hi Brad,
    Using F16 might induce some diffraction. I would personally use something between 8-11. Also if you could use an external flash bounced on a piece of white paper or cardboard, it could give you enough good constant light plus remove any chance of camera shake.
    I'm beginning to see the LIGHT!
    Please visit my Gallery and my Flickr Gallery

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Sandpatch's Avatar

    Re: 35mm film negatives to digital ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    … Check the exif on that photo, are you sure you used your D5100 ?
    I've never noticed that on the EXIF -- thank you. That's really puzzling, I need to investigate where that came from. I don't recognize the camera source, but you may well be right that I didn't use my D5100 on that attempt.

    Thanks for everyone's thoughts here. I suppose the solution might differ for each of us depending on the quantity of slides we need to digitize. I forget where I read it, but someone once wrote that for those of us like me who will likely choose the DIY route, "the first thing you'll realize is that you retired too late".
    Last edited by Sandpatch; 01-18-2019 at 05:36 PM.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Ironwood's Avatar

    Re: 35mm film negatives to digital ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    Hi Brad,
    Using F16 might induce some diffraction. I would personally use something between 8-11. Also if you could use an external flash bounced on a piece of white paper or cardboard, it could give you enough good constant light plus remove any chance of camera shake.
    Thanks Marcel, some good information there for me to try and improve on things.
    f16 is what I use all the time for my macro work, it seems good for spiders etc, but maybe for this job I need to use a different approach. Definitely will try a wider aperture.
    I am trying to picture in my head how to position things to try your bounced flash method. I had thought of shooting a flash through a sheet of white paper for a backlight, but bouncing might give a better quality light than going through the paper and possibly inducing another colour hue to deal with.
    How far above the white paper would you recommend to position the film holder ?
    Brad


    Every Day might not be a good Day,
    ​ but there is something good in every Day.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Ironwood's Avatar

    Re: 35mm film negatives to digital ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpatch View Post
    Thanks for everyone's thoughts here. I suppose the solution might differ for each of us depending on the quantity of slides we need to digitize. I forget where I read it, but someone once wrote that for those of us like me who will likely choose the DIY route, "the first thing you'll realize is that you retired too late".
    Yes, I am quickly realising this could consume a lot of time
    Thanks/Like Sandpatch Thanks/liked this post
     
    Brad


    Every Day might not be a good Day,
    ​ but there is something good in every Day.

  10. #20
    Happy to be Canadian
    Super Mod
    Marcel's Avatar

    Re: 35mm film negatives to digital ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    Thanks Marcel, some good information there for me to try and improve on things.
    f16 is what I use all the time for my macro work, it seems good for spiders etc, but maybe for this job I need to use a different approach. Definitely will try a wider aperture.
    I am trying to picture in my head how to position things to try your bounced flash method. I had thought of shooting a flash through a sheet of white paper for a backlight, but bouncing might give a better quality light than going through the paper and possibly inducing another colour hue to deal with.
    How far above the white paper would you recommend to position the film holder ?
    Depending on the size of the paper sheet or cardboard, I'd say about 1-1 1/2 foot. It's just a question of trial and error, but when you find the good distance and flash power, you'll be good to go. If you want to reproduce your setup, just take measurements once you're satisfied with the results.
    Thanks/Like Ironwood Thanks/liked this post
     
    I'm beginning to see the LIGHT!
    Please visit my Gallery and my Flickr Gallery





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Similar Threads

  1. Film SLR's
  2. Education
  3. General Digital SLR Cameras
  4. New Member Introductions
  5. Other Photography Equipment

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •