+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    D850 Lens Question??

    Hi folks.....I'm a brandnew Nikonite. Looking forward to learning much here as I pursue one of my passions....digital photography. I've had a couple of pics published rather unintentionally, so I'm taking the plunge....leaving my ol D90 in the dust (because that's literally all it's worth), and buying a D850.

    My question is this...has anyone any experience with using the AF-S 18-200mm Gll ED, VR lense on the 850? If so, how did it work? I haven't seen that lense listed on any of the recommended lense lists. Next year I plan to buy the 105 F1.4 lense cuz I hear it's an amazingly sharp and versatile lense.

    Thanks in advance for any info that you can offer!


    › See More: D850 Lens Question??
    Last edited by Niffty850; 12-18-2018 at 06:41 PM.



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    FredKingston's Avatar

    Re: D850 Lense Question??

    You understand that that's a DX crop lens on a D850 which is a Full Frame camera, right?
    Thanks/Like Niffty850 Thanks/liked this post
     

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: D850 Lense Question??

    Quote Originally Posted by Niffty850 View Post
    Hi folks.....I'm a brandnew Nikonite. Looking forward to learning much here as I pursue one of my passions....digital photography. I've had a couple of pics published rather unintentionally, so I'm taking the plunge....leaving my ol D90 in the dust (because that's literally all it's worth), and buying a D850.

    My question is this...has anyone any experience with using the AF-S 18-200mm Gll ED, VR lense on the 850? If so, how did it work? I haven't seen that lense listed on any of the recommended lense lists. Next year I plan to buy the 105 F1.4 lense cuz I hear it's an amazingly sharp and versatile lense.

    Thanks in advance for any info that you can offer!
    As Fred points out, the 18-200mm you're asking about is a DX lens. I'm pretty sure that's not what you're going to want to put on your D850. I mean, it WILL work, but it will put your D850 in DX Crop Mode, and that's just no fun.

    The closest thing to the 18-200mm in FX glass I can come up with, just off the top of my head, would be the Nikon Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR.
    Thanks/Like Niffty850 Thanks/liked this post
     
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D750 (OLPF Removed), MB-D10; Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Re: D850 Lense Question??

    A great all-around FX lens, even recommended by Scott Kelby in Shutterbug, is the 28-300. I have the Nikon version, but my friend's Tamron version is smaller and supposedly sharper. And cheaper! But you lose a little light when shooting zoomed.

    I got my Nikon 28-300 off Craigslist for $500 and it's by far my most used lens, especially on trips when I'm out walking.

    https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pr....6g-ed-vr.html


    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...iAAEgIghfD_BwE
    Last edited by Blade Canyon; 12-18-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    Thanks/Like Niffty850 Thanks/liked this post
     

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Re: D850 Lense Question??

    Quote Originally Posted by FredKingston View Post
    You understand that that's a DX crop lens on a D850 which is a Full Frame camera, right?
    Now I know, thanks to you, kind folks. Much appreciated!

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Re: D850 Lense Question??

    Quote Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
    As Fred points out, the 18-200mm you're asking about is a DX lens. I'm pretty sure that's not what you're going to want to put on your D850. I mean, it WILL work, but it will put your D850 in DX Crop Mode, and that's just no fun.

    The closest thing to the 18-200mm in FX glass I can come up with, just off the top of my head, would be the Nikon Nikon 24-120mm f/4G ED VR.
    Thanks! Iíll check it out.

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Re: D850 Lense Question??

    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Canyon View Post
    A great all-around FX lens, even recommended by Scott Kelby in Shutterbug, is the 28-300. I have the Nikon version, but my friend's Tamron version is smaller and supposedly sharper. And cheaper! But you lose a little light when shooting zoomed.

    I got my Nikon 28-300 off Craigslist for $500 and it's by far my most used lens, especially on trips when I'm out walking.

    https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-pr....6g-ed-vr.html


    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...iAAEgIghfD_BwE
    Thanks! That focal range would be very versatile Id think.
    Last edited by Niffty850; 12-19-2018 at 03:03 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Re: D850 Lense Question??

    Spending that kind of money on a camera body and then putting rather inexpensive kit type lenses on won't take advantage of it's incredible abilities. A high megapixel camera really need good quality optics.
    Thanks/Like Niffty850 Thanks/liked this post
     
    Nikon D500, D7200 Sigma 11-20 Pro f/2.8. Nikkor 18-140 VR. Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    My Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/157345210@N07/

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Re: D850 Lense Question??

    Agreed...thanks!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Ad B's Avatar

    Re: D850 Lense Question??

    D850 Lens Question??
    Hi,
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@sabor View Post
    Spending that kind of money on a camera body and then putting rather inexpensive kit type lenses on won't take advantage of it's incredible abilities. A high megapixel camera really need good quality optics.
    Disagree...
    If you use that lens in the right way and at the right spots.
    I use a Tamron 28-300 F/3.5-6.3 DI VC PZD (that's the latest version) with my D850.
    Very sharp, and in combo with my 46 Mp D850 incredible good detailing.
    It's my walk around lens, when I go without specific purposes. Like you have on holidays.
    For specific purposes I use a Tamron 24-70 F2.8 G2, some f1.8 primes or my Sigma 150-600 C.
    So to start with... To find out, which kind of photography you like, which lenses you will need...
    I would buy the Tamron, the Nikon version is more expensive, heavier, bigger.
    The only thing with after market lenses...
    If you like to use JPGs straight out of your cam...
    Auto in cam lenscorrection is not working with aftermarket lenses.
    I always use the RAW pics (NEFs)(lossless compressed) in Photoshop.
    Little example:
    Swallow tail by Ad v.d. Biggelaar, on Flickr
    Handheld, 300 mm; aprox 1.5 mtr (5 Ft) distance. Just walking in an Italian village, last summer.
    Last edited by Ad B; 12-19-2018 at 08:16 AM.
    Thanks/Like Marcel, Blade Canyon, litrattonijuan, Niffty850 Thanks/liked this post
    Best Answers Blade Canyon voted best answer for this post
     





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •