+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    mikew's Avatar

    Re: A trip inside the D810 to fix it.

    If i want to try this what size hammer will i need

    Ime one of those that can take anything apart-------------end of story so you have my admiration


    › See More: A trip inside the D810 to fix it.
    Mike

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/7239177@N07/

    Panasonic G9,G80, 12-60, 60mm macro, 100-400

    Nikon 1 V2,FT-1,10-30mm 30-110mm Viltrox extension tubes












  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Danno's Avatar

    Re: A trip inside the D810 to fix it.

    I hope you keep this thread open with your test results. This has been very interesting to an ex engineer and tinkerer. I have really enjoyed it and like the first time you fire up that motor you rebuilt... I am looking forward to seeing some of the first pictures. Good Job!
    Dan~~Kentucky

    "The natural man must know in order to believe; The spiritual man must believe in order to know. " ~ Aiden Wilson Tozer ~ "The Dwelling Place of God"

    Nikon Z 6 Nikon D7200 w/Grip, Nikon D700 w/Grip, AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR, Nikon 14-24 f/2.8, Nikkor 50mm/1.8G, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 70-200 F/2.8
    Yongnuo Speedlight YN568EX, Vanguard ALTA Pro 264AB Tripod, Vanguard
    SBH-100 ball head Beike Gimbal Head, ARCA Swiss B1 ball head

    https://www.dailywalkinthelight.com

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar

    Re: A trip inside the D810 to fix it.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    If i want to try this what size hammer will i need

    Ime [sic] one of those that can take anything apart-------------end of story so you have my admiration
    Taking a thing apart is easy.

    Taking a thing apart without damaging any of the parts is a bit more difficult; and being able to put it back together properly is the real challenge.
    Thanks/Like Danno, ryan20fun Thanks/liked this post
     

  4. #24
    Senior Member

    Re: A trip inside the D810 to fix it.

    It was pointed out to me today (really I hadn't noticed) that my Nikon 200-500mm lens has an electronic aperture, and because of that, even with the aperture issue this D810 is experiencing right now, that means that as long as I use this or other lenses that also have an electronic aperture, I can use the camera with those lenses and ignore the problem.

    I WILL still fix it, but this just means that the D810 will be going with me to this weekend's airshow. It'll be dedicated for use with the 200-500.

    I wonder what other lenses in the Nikon catalog have electronic apertures?
    Gear list: Too much! D810, D800, D200x3, D5000, D70S, D40.
    Lenses: Nikon FX; 200-500mm, 14-24mm, 80-400mm, 24-85mm, DX, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 55-300mm, 35mm, 35-70mm, Tamron 150-600mm, a few random others. Atomos Ninja 2 video recorder, Vello angle grip, Manfrotto quick releases and tripd

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    mikew's Avatar

    Re: A trip inside the D810 to fix it.

    Quote Originally Posted by D200freak View Post
    It was pointed out to me today (really I hadn't noticed) that my Nikon 200-500mm lens has an electronic aperture, and because of that, even with the aperture issue this D810 is experiencing right now, that means that as long as I use this or other lenses that also have an electronic aperture, I can use the camera with those lenses and ignore the problem.

    I WILL still fix it, but this just means that the D810 will be going with me to this weekend's airshow. It'll be dedicated for use with the 200-500.

    I wonder what other lenses in the Nikon catalog have electronic apertures?
    I think a few do, possibly the new 18-55 and the 300pf
    Mike

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/7239177@N07/

    Panasonic G9,G80, 12-60, 60mm macro, 100-400

    Nikon 1 V2,FT-1,10-30mm 30-110mm Viltrox extension tubes










  6. #26
    Senior Member

    Re: A trip inside the D810 to fix it.

    Not every project turns out quite as planned.

    My replacement aperture control assemby arrived. I took the D810 apart and installed it, which requires partial disassembly of the mirror box assembly.

    When I got it back together, the aperture control was working properly. Success! But the mirror mechanism was not working right, and I realized that I'd reassembled it the wrong way. It can only be assembled in two ways, one right and one wrong. Even though I had been through this before, I assembled it the wrong way.

    So I went back inside it, rebuilt the mirror assembly the correct way, put the camera back together, and the mirror works fine. But the aperture control problem was back!

    I've had the camera apart three or four times today since then, trying to find out if I'd reassembled something incorrectly or messed something up.

    Mechanically it's fine, but either the motor or the position sensors have gone nuts.

    I'm done with it for now. I MAY just buy yet another complete new aperture control assembly and try again. But for now, the heck with it. I'll just use it with the 200-500 all the time, which has an electronic aperture, and use my D800 for every other lens I have. Problem (kind of) solved.

    It frustrates me to put extra work into it and KNOW that if I'd just reassembled the mirror box correctly the first time, the camera would be 100 percent almost without a doubt.
    Thanks/Like Danno Thanks/liked this post
     
    Gear list: Too much! D810, D800, D200x3, D5000, D70S, D40.
    Lenses: Nikon FX; 200-500mm, 14-24mm, 80-400mm, 24-85mm, DX, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 55-300mm, 35mm, 35-70mm, Tamron 150-600mm, a few random others. Atomos Ninja 2 video recorder, Vello angle grip, Manfrotto quick releases and tripd

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    C. Hand's Avatar

    Re: A trip inside the D810 to fix it.

    That is fascinating, I had never seen the inside on a Nikon before, I am amazed that you can get it back together once, let alone 2 or three times in one day! Thank you for taking the time to post and explain all of this!
    Thanks/Like rocketman122 Thanks/liked this post
     

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Danno's Avatar

    Re: A trip inside the D810 to fix it.

    Quote Originally Posted by D200freak View Post
    Not every project turns out quite as planned.

    My replacement aperture control assemby arrived. I took the D810 apart and installed it, which requires partial disassembly of the mirror box assembly.

    When I got it back together, the aperture control was working properly. Success! But the mirror mechanism was not working right, and I realized that I'd reassembled it the wrong way. It can only be assembled in two ways, one right and one wrong. Even though I had been through this before, I assembled it the wrong way.

    So I went back inside it, rebuilt the mirror assembly the correct way, put the camera back together, and the mirror works fine. But the aperture control problem was back!

    I've had the camera apart three or four times today since then, trying to find out if I'd reassembled something incorrectly or messed something up.

    Mechanically it's fine, but either the motor or the position sensors have gone nuts.

    I'm done with it for now. I MAY just buy yet another complete new aperture control assembly and try again. But for now, the heck with it. I'll just use it with the 200-500 all the time, which has an electronic aperture, and use my D800 for every other lens I have. Problem (kind of) solved.

    It frustrates me to put extra work into it and KNOW that if I'd just reassembled the mirror box correctly the first time, the camera would be 100 percent almost without a doubt.
    Things like that happen. You made the right choice to give it a rest. With time we gain perspective... quite an impressive adventure.

    Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
    Thanks/Like C. Hand Thanks/liked this post
     
    Dan~~Kentucky

    "The natural man must know in order to believe; The spiritual man must believe in order to know. " ~ Aiden Wilson Tozer ~ "The Dwelling Place of God"

    Nikon Z 6 Nikon D7200 w/Grip, Nikon D700 w/Grip, AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR, Nikon 14-24 f/2.8, Nikkor 50mm/1.8G, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 70-200 F/2.8
    Yongnuo Speedlight YN568EX, Vanguard ALTA Pro 264AB Tripod, Vanguard
    SBH-100 ball head Beike Gimbal Head, ARCA Swiss B1 ball head

    https://www.dailywalkinthelight.com

  9. #29
    Senior Member

    Re: A trip inside the D810 to fix it.

    I'll revisit that issue...later. What's weird is that the aperture control mechanism is the simplest mechanism in the camera. It's basically a stepper motor connected to a short gear train, a lever, and an optical position sensor consisting of an LED and a detector. Very simple, not much to fail.

    I will just get another assembly and try again later.

    For now I'll just use only lenses with the E in their description and call it a day.

    Airshow tomorrow! I hope to get some good shots.
    Thanks/Like Danno, aporodagon Thanks/liked this post
     
    Gear list: Too much! D810, D800, D200x3, D5000, D70S, D40.
    Lenses: Nikon FX; 200-500mm, 14-24mm, 80-400mm, 24-85mm, DX, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 55-300mm, 35mm, 35-70mm, Tamron 150-600mm, a few random others. Atomos Ninja 2 video recorder, Vello angle grip, Manfrotto quick releases and tripd

  10. #30
    Senior Member

    Re: A trip inside the D810 to fix it.

    Airshow today. I put close to 3000 shots on the D810 and it never failed to do what it's supposed to do. I put an additional 500 shots on the D800, so I made my task of editing excess photos VERY tough on myself. 3500 in one day? Seriously?

    I might be wise to move the mode dial off Ch and set it to S instead.
    Thanks/Like Danno, C. Hand, Blacktop Thanks/liked this post
     
    Gear list: Too much! D810, D800, D200x3, D5000, D70S, D40.
    Lenses: Nikon FX; 200-500mm, 14-24mm, 80-400mm, 24-85mm, DX, 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 55-300mm, 35mm, 35-70mm, Tamron 150-600mm, a few random others. Atomos Ninja 2 video recorder, Vello angle grip, Manfrotto quick releases and tripd





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •