+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member

    D800 in the COLD

    I'm planning a cold weather outdoor trek this winter (a week of tent camping in Northern Minnesota in the dead of winter) and am very interested in capturing some images of what should be an incredibly beautiful trip. It is quite possible that we will have above zero (F) temps but it is also possible that it will be -20F (or colder) during the day.

    Anyone have experience in subjecting a D800 to this kind of cold? Any suggestions in general about cameras and cold? I took a bunch of pics while snowshoeing in maybe 0 or -10F weather (don't really remember the cold, just remember snow falling on a deer) and felt like my white balance (daylight preset) was a bit off.

    I'm on the fence between taking one or more of:

    - 50mm/f1.8 : PRO: light weight, less moving parts to freeze, cheaper if lost or damaged. CON: fixed 50mm.
    - 24-70mm/f2.8: PRO: great landscape lens. CON: a bit heavy, expensive if lost or damaged, more moving parts to freeze
    - 70-200mm/f2.8: PRO: great for getting in on the action (and there will be action between snowshoes and sled dogs and maybe some wildlife). CON: a bit narrow for a landscape, HEAVY, expensive if lost or damaged, more moving parts to freeze.

    anyone else have comments on gear and also general cold weather and snow shooting?

    Thanks
    -Dan


    › See More: D800 in the COLD



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    john*thomas's Avatar

    Re: D800 in the COLD

    One persons experience.

    This Nikon D800 Survived Four Hours in -5C Weather - The Phoblographer

    Would I suggest it? No.

    I've used my D7100 around freezing but anything below that I've left it home.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Re: D800 in the COLD

    @gqtuazon I seem to remember a thread about your D800 getting a little chilly?

  4. #4
    Gear Head
    Moderator
    gqtuazon's Avatar

    Re: D800 in the COLD

    D800 in the COLD
    Quote Originally Posted by danmc View Post
    I'm planning a cold weather outdoor trek this winter (a week of tent camping in Northern Minnesota in the dead of winter) and am very interested in capturing some images of what should be an incredibly beautiful trip. It is quite possible that we will have above zero (F) temps but it is also possible that it will be -20F (or colder) during the day.

    Anyone have experience in subjecting a D800 to this kind of cold? Any suggestions in general about cameras and cold? I took a bunch of pics while snowshoeing in maybe 0 or -10F weather (don't really remember the cold, just remember snow falling on a deer) and felt like my white balance (daylight preset) was a bit off.

    I'm on the fence between taking one or more of:

    - 50mm/f1.8 : PRO: light weight, less moving parts to freeze, cheaper if lost or damaged. CON: fixed 50mm.
    - 24-70mm/f2.8: PRO: great landscape lens. CON: a bit heavy, expensive if lost or damaged, more moving parts to freeze
    - 70-200mm/f2.8: PRO: great for getting in on the action (and there will be action between snowshoes and sled dogs and maybe some wildlife). CON: a bit narrow for a landscape, HEAVY, expensive if lost or damaged, more moving parts to freeze.

    anyone else have comments on gear and also general cold weather and snow shooting?

    Thanks
    -Dan
    When in doubt, refer to your D800/D800E owner's manual to be on the safe side.

    Bring extra fully charged batteries if the temperature becomes extreme. If it is snowing, ensure your hot shoe cover is installed. I would get insurance just to be on the safe side.


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee532 View Post
    @gqtuazon I seem to remember a thread about your D800 getting a little chilly?

    It was my D3s and Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 lens.

    D3s Snow by gqtuazon, on Flickr
    Best regards,

    Glenn
    My Gear
    Flickr
    My website

  5. #5
    Super Duper Member
    kevy73's Avatar

    Re: D800 in the COLD

    Nikon | Imaging Products | Specifications - Nikon D800/D800E

    Operating environment Temperature: 0 to 40C/32 to 104; Humidity: Less than 85% (no condensation)
    Thanks/Like gqtuazon Thanks/liked this post
     
    Webpage: Kevin McGinn - Click Me! | Facebook - Like Me! | Youtube - Watch Me!

    Cameras Lens - Zooms Lens - Primes / Macro Lighting
    2 x D4 14-24 mm f2.8G ED 35 mm f1.4G 3 x SB900
    1 x D7000 24-70 mm f2.8G ED 50 mm f1.4G 3 x Westcott Ice Lights
    1 x D300 70-200 mm f2.8G ED 85 mm f1.4G
    1 x D5100 200 mm f2.0G ED VRII
    Sigma 150 f2.8 EX DG

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    JackStalk's Avatar

    Re: D800 in the COLD

    Quote Originally Posted by gqtuazon View Post
    Bring extra fully charged batteries if the temperature becomes extreme. If it is snowing, ensure your hot shoe cover is installed. I would get insurance just to be on the safe side.
    Also, you want to keep those batteries really close to you on your person so they stay warm. I keep them in an insulated inside pocket if I'm out in the cold. Condensation also becomes an issue when you first take the camera from one temperature to another really quickly

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    SteveH's Avatar

    Re: D800 in the COLD

    I'd say acclimatize the camera gradually (Not out of a hot car to -20C ice!) and when you return the camera to the bag, make sure you have silica gel packets in there (I have some permanently in the bag with the lenses and camera) to stop condensation when returning to the warmer / dryer bag.
    Steve

    D750
    Sigma 24-105 f4 DG Art | Nikkor 50mm f1.8D | Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C | Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-S | Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro

    Giottos tripod | Manfrotto Monopod
    Yougnuo 565 EX & 568 EX Speedlights ​| Yougnuo 622 wireless Transmitter & Transceivers

    Adobe Lightroom CC | Photoshop CC | Google NIK Tools

  8. #8
    Staff
    Super Mod
    Ruidoso Bill's Avatar
    I have my older D200, D300, D200 in very cold eastern Europe and never had an issue, bring extra batteries, they don't last as long. I will be taking my D800 to Ukraine next month but not too cold yet.
    Last edited by Ruidoso Bill; 09-04-2014 at 09:42 PM.
    Regards,
    Bill ​
    Follow the Golden Rule


  9. #9
    Staff
    Super Mod
    Ruidoso Bill's Avatar

    Re: D800 in the COLD

    That should have read D200 vs D200
    Regards,
    Bill ​
    Follow the Golden Rule


  10. #10
    Staff
    Super Mod
    Ruidoso Bill's Avatar

    Re: D800 in the COLD

    D800
    Regards,
    Bill ​
    Follow the Golden Rule






Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •