+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this normal?

    Greetings,

    Turning off OS on Sigma F2.8 ex dc os lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD display. Is this normal? Is there something a 2nd step that I need to do to ensure OS or VR is turned off?

    Thanks!


    › See More: Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this normal?
    Last edited by SilverSonic; 09-08-2017 at 07:35 PM.



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    mikew's Avatar

    Re: Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this norma

    Just looked at my D500 and Sigma 100-400 and cant find a hand symbol
    Thanks/Like SilverSonic Thanks/liked this post
     
    Mike

    Nikon D500,Sigma 100-400,Sigma 105 macro

    Nikon 1 V2,FT-1,10-30mm 30-110mm Viltrox extension tubes

    Olympus EM10 MK11,14-42,40-150








  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Roy1961's Avatar

    Re: Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this norma

    I have never noticed that on mine either.
    Thanks/Like SilverSonic Thanks/liked this post
     
    Learn to laugh at yourself, everyone else is.
    D500, D7000. SB700.

    Nikkor 18-105mm, 35mm, 70-300mm and Sigma 50-500.

    LowePro 202 Slingshot bag, Wimberley Gimbal head, Benro Carbon Fiber Tripod.

    Vanguard Alta 263 Tripod with SBH-250 ballhead, Vanguard AM 263 Monopod with SBH-100 ballhead.

  4. #4
    Junior Member

    Re: Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this norma

    Thanks for the replies. Not sure if this is a D7500 compatibility issue with this specific Sigma lens. I guess I just have to presume that VR is turned off, despite seeing that hand icon in the lcd monitor.

  5. #5
    Staff
    Challenge Team
    Moderator
    RocketCowboy's Avatar

    Re: Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this norma

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSonic View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Not sure if this is a D7500 compatibility issue with this specific Sigma lens. I guess I just have to presume that VR is turned off, despite seeing that hand icon in the lcd monitor.
    Could it be that the camera is suggesting you might want to use OS because of the shutter speed related to the focal length, rather than indicating that OS is turned on?

    I'm not familiar with that icon either, so not sure the specific purpose.
    Thanks/Like SilverSonic Thanks/liked this post
     
    Charlie, aka RocketCowboy

    Up For A Challenge??? Join the Weekly Photo Challenge!!!

  6. #6
    Crazy Aussie
    Scott Murray's Avatar

    Re: Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this norma

    Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this normal?
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSonic View Post
    Greetings,

    Turning off OS on Sigma F2.8 ex dc os lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD display. Is this normal? Is there something a 2nd step that I need to do to ensure OS or VR is turned off?

    Thanks!
    Have you read your manual?

    Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this normal?-lcd.png

    Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this normal?-d9.png

  7. #7
    Junior Member

    Re: Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this norma

    Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this normal?
    Thanks for sharing. Yes I have read this part of the manual, and it is the "Vibration Reduction Indicator" that I'm referring to. It persists to be displayed on the lcd monitor despite having turned off the OS on the Sigma lens. Perhaps there is some miscommunication or compatibility issue between the lens and the D7500, but if this is the case, then I wonder if having the OS on the lens switched off still means that VR is really off, despite the VR indicator still being displayed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Murray View Post
    Have you read your manual?

    Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this normal?-lcd.png

    Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this normal?-d9.png

  8. #8
    Crazy Aussie
    Scott Murray's Avatar

    Re: Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this norma

    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSonic View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Yes I have read this part of the manual, and it is the "Vibration Reduction Indicator" that I'm referring to. It persists to be displayed on the lcd monitor despite having turned off the OS on the Sigma lens. Perhaps there is some miscommunication or compatibility issue between the lens and the D7500, but if this is the case, then I wonder if having the OS on the lens switched off still means that VR is really off, despite the VR indicator still being displayed.
    Go to d9 as per the bottom picture and set it to off in your settings.

  9. #9
    Junior Member

    Re: Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this norma

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Murray View Post
    Go to d9 as per the bottom picture and set it to off in your settings.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I had checked that before and it doesn't show a d9 option. Perhaps it only shows up with specific lenses.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    mikew's Avatar

    Re: Turning off OS on Sigma lens, but still see hand symbol on the LCD. Is this norma

    Its looking like you have a Nikon lens specific situation and its not 100% communicating with the Sigma lens,which lens do you have it could be that the D7500 is too new for current Sigma firmware.
    Mike

    Nikon D500,Sigma 100-400,Sigma 105 macro

    Nikon 1 V2,FT-1,10-30mm 30-110mm Viltrox extension tubes

    Olympus EM10 MK11,14-42,40-150












Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •