+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Junior Member

    Re: why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?

    why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanie View Post



    › See More: why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?



  2. #12
    Senior Member
    480sparky's Avatar

    Re: why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?

    Classic 'backlight' situation. The sunlit grass and trees in the background fooled the meter into thinking the scene was brighter than it was.
    Thanks/Like carguy Thanks/liked this post
     
    Don't mind me... I'm out roaming around somewhere between Zone III and VII.


    Go forth and actuate!


    My Website.

  3. #13
    Junior Member

    Re: why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?

    Also, I was about 10 ft. away. But still, at 2.8, I expected the background to be more blurred than this. What do you all think? Thank you for helping me figure out this new camera!

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    480sparky's Avatar

    Re: why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?

    A blurred backgound isn't as simple as just opening up the aperture. Focal length, as well as distances to both subject and background, plays a major role.
    Don't mind me... I'm out roaming around somewhere between Zone III and VII.


    Go forth and actuate!


    My Website.

  5. #15
    Junior Member

    Re: why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?

    Quote Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
    A blurred backgound isn't as simple as just opening up the aperture. Focal length, as well as distances to both subject and background, plays a major role.
    Thank you, sparky. Focal length was 60 mm and those trees and swing were pretty far away. If I wanted to make sure the background had great bokeh and the image well-exposed, what do you think would have been better settings for me? I appreciate your time!!

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    480sparky's Avatar

    Re: why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deanie View Post
    Thank you, sparky. Focal length was 60 mm and those trees and swing were pretty far away. If I wanted to make sure the background had great bokeh and the image well-exposed, what do you think would have been better settings for me? I appreciate your time!!
    Move closer to the subject, or use a longer focal length.
    Don't mind me... I'm out roaming around somewhere between Zone III and VII.


    Go forth and actuate!


    My Website.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    mikew's Avatar

    Re: why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?

    why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?
    I feel one of your problems was using matrix, it doesnt care what area is your sbject it just trys to give you an overall corect exposure balance, in the situation you show you should have metered for the subject of interest, the rest is as sparky said you need to pick the disance to subject, to the background, decide focal length and aperture to give the result you want.

    Very rough and ready edit but i guess you where hoping for this sort of thing.

    why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?-nik_0269fb.jpg

    You could try center-weighted metering,I use spot metering most of the time but it suits my subjects and what i want to get and can get tricky.
    Mike

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/7239177@N07/

    Olympus EM1MK11,Panasonic G80, 12-60mm, 60mm macro, Leica 100-400mm

    Nikon 1 V2,FT-1,10-30mm 30-110mm Viltrox extension tubes










  8. #18
    Junior Member

    Re: why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?

    why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    I feel one of your problems was using matrix, it doesnt care what area is your sbject it just trys to give you an overall corect exposure balance, in the situation you show you should have metered for the subject of interest, the rest is as sparky said you need to pick the disance to subject, to the background, decide focal length and aperture to give the result you want.

    Very rough and ready edit but i guess you where hoping for this sort of thing.

    why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?-nik_0269fb.jpg

    You could try center-weighted metering,I use spot metering most of the time but it suits my subjects and what i want to get and can get tricky.
    Thank you so much. I will change it to center-weighted for these kinds of images. Makes a lot of sense.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    480sparky's Avatar

    Re: why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?

    Pick up a copy of Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure.
    Don't mind me... I'm out roaming around somewhere between Zone III and VII.


    Go forth and actuate!


    My Website.

  10. #20
    Senior Member

    Re: why are my pictures underexposed while shooting in Manual?

    Center and spot weighted can get tricky. For example, if the man was off to the side, center or spot metering would read the bright area on the grass, making the man darker. Try it, but give exposure comp a try too. In manual, it won't change settings but it will change what the meter says. But since you are shooting manual, you could just recognize the scene as a problem and adjust your settings to let your meter fall slightly to the + side. Then you don't need to worry about messing with meter modes or exposure comp and possibly forgetting them for the next shot.
    I must have a really good camera.





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •